Thread: What it feels like to be a Libertarian

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Default What it feels like to be a Libertarian

http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/FeelsLike.htm

Political analysts frequently consider what it means to be a libertarian. In fact, in 1997, Charles Murray published a short book entitled "What It Means to Be a Libertarian" that does an excellent job of presenting the core principles of libertarian political philosophy. But almost no one ever discusses what it feels like to be a libertarian. How does it actually feel to be someone who holds the principles described in Murray’s book?

I’ll tell you. It feels bad. Being a libertarian means living with an almost unendurable level of frustration. It means being subject to unending scorn and derision despite being inevitably proven correct by events. How does it feel to be a libertarian? Imagine what the internal life of Cassandra must have been and you will have a pretty good idea.

Imagine spending two decades warning that government policy is leading to a major economic collapse, and then, when the collapse comes, watching the world conclude that markets do not work.

Imagine continually explaining that markets function because they have a built in corrective mechanism; that periodic contractions are necessary to weed out unproductive ventures; that continually loosening credit to avoid such corrections just puts off the day of reckoning and inevitably leads to a larger recession; that this is precisely what the government did during the 1920's that led to the great depression; and then, when the recession hits, seeing it offered as proof of the failure of laissez-faire capitalism.

Imagine spending years decrying federal intervention in the home mortgage market; pointing out the dangers associated with legislation such as the Community Reinvestment Act that forces lenders to make more risky loans than they otherwise would; testifying before Congress on the lack of oversight and inevitable insolvency of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to legislators who angrily respond either that one is "exaggerat[ing] a threat of safety and soundness . . . which I do not see" (Barney Frank) or "[I[f it ain’t broke, why do you want to fix it? Have the GSEs [government-sponsored enterprises] ever missed their housing goals" (Maxine Waters) or "[T[he problem that we have and that we are faced with is maybe some individuals who wanted to do away with GSEs in the first place" (Gregory Meeks) or that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are "one of the great success stories of all time" (Christopher Dodd); and arguing that the moral hazard created by the implicit federal backing of such privately-owned government-sponsored enterprises is likely to set off a wave of unjustifiably risky investments, and then, when the housing market implodes under the weight of bad loans, watching the collapse get blamed on the greed and rapaciousness of "Wall Street."
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

How do you spell "Impotent"? L-I-B-E-R-T-A-R-I-A-N

Libertarian is a failure as a politcial philosophy because it is a self full filling prophecy for poor, inept and bad governance. That's why many consider it anarchy in drag.

One of the major problems that the Republican Party has that is dragging it down is the influence of Libertarians within the party.

How can one in good conscience vote for a political party when you have no confidence in their ability to govern affectively or competently.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

Libertarian is a failure as a politcial philosophy because it is a self full filling prophecy for poor, inept and bad governance. That's why many consider it anarchy in drag.

One of the major problems that the Republican Party has that is dragging it down is the influence of Libertarians within the party.

How can one in good conscience vote for a political party when you have no confidence in their ability to govern affectively or competently.
    classic evasion of any intent for personal responsibility.
    ZOMG, Libertarians are anarchists because they don't want people governed!!!!!!

what's it like to distrust people and freedom so much that you demand people be controlled by government?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,685 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

How does it actually feel to be someone who holds the principles described in Murray’s book?

I’ll tell you. It feels bad. Being a libertarian means living with an almost unendurable level of frustration. It means being subject to unending scorn and derision despite being inevitably proven correct by events. How does it feel to be a libertarian? Imagine what the internal life of Cassandra must have been and you will have a pretty good idea.
    HaHa, man that was great. Gracias, that totally gave me a laugh.

Is this why libertarian message board posters have such a chip on their shoulder? Emotional drama and being distraught at being dismissed as irrelevant?

Here's a tip, and don't take this personally. Nobody hates libertarians, or spends more than a few nanoseconds of time thinking about them or making fun of them.

It's not worth it. Most of the entire planet knows that the markets unleashed to self-police themselves won't, and never will work. Every adult knows that shit doesn't get done at the scale of a nation-state by relying on the theory of rational self-interest.

It's really just a theoretical ideology promoted by a handful of theorists and cranks who don't want to pay taxes, and was fueled by rage at the New Deal and the modern social democratic states of the US and other developed nations.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Libertarians are teenage virgins who've grown up used to rejection.

Markets don't work, what a masingil
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post

Damn man, first you say the Republican Party needs to drop its social conservatives and then you say it needs to drop its libertarian elements. You might as well say you think the party should cease to exist.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Damn man, first you say the Republican Party needs to drop its social conservatives and then you say it needs to drop its libertarian elements. You might as well say you think the party should cease to exist.
    Well, it would be better for the party and stuff. Clearly he cares deeply about the survival of the republican party and all his suggestions should be followed.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

What is so funny is that people still view libertarians as complete free market capitalists who want zero regulation. Most understand that a minimal amount of regulation is required, but too many people, especially lefties, have never seen a regulation they could not live with. Requirements that businesses extend credit to people not credit worthy is just plain stupid. Anyone that knows anything about economy KNOWS that there are periods of growth and correction. Providing looser and looser credit to keep people afloat GUARENTEES that periods of contraction are going to be greater than they otherwise would have been. There is a mindset, primarily among liberals that ownership is a right and not a privilege earned through success. No one is owed a home or a successful business. We ought not prop up bad businesses or people who should not own a home at a period in their life where their finances do not warrant business or home ownership. And that includes not just low income but middle income individuals. There is nothing wrong with renting. Shit, when you rent you have less expenses associated with home ownership. Your landlord has to replace the roof, put in a new heater, pay for extermination services etc. Americans are not entitled to shit. They are entitled to the ability to be free to work their ass off, go to school, get an education and earn the ownership of business, homes, new cars, home theaters etc. When I was a kid in the 70's not everyone had a credit card. It was a hard thing to get. You had to be credit worthy, which meant having a job that provided you with the disposable income to make monthly payments. When my grandparents had a credit card, my grandfather paid them off monthly unless there was an unexpected expense that required 60 days to pay off. When he died he had 11 credit cards and NOT ONE OF THEM had a ballance due. Now credit card companies give college students cards with 1000 dollar limits. LIbertarians don't want a wild west anything goes economy, at least not many of them. What they want is the ability to do business, make money and pay the people that work for them. I know that they are evil and make more money than do their employees, but they take the risks and stand to lose much more if the business fails. That failure should not be prolonged by the easing of lending so that when they ultimately fail, they fall farther than they otherwise would have.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's a pretty good response Soc. I think many of us like to paint something we don't agree with in more radical terms as a way to put it down thus saying 'Libertarians want no government, want to pay no taxes and want zero regulations'. I'm sure someone can find an example of that but it is obviously an extreme fringe example.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty good response Soc. I think many of us like to paint something we don't agree with in more radical terms as a way to put it down thus saying 'Libertarians want no government, want to pay no taxes and want zero regulations'. I'm sure someone can find an example of that but it is obviously an extreme fringe example.
    Those aren't libertarian's... those are anarchists... it is how the morons of the world try to paint libertarians... (yes... that means you Cypress).

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    What is so funny is that people still view libertarians as complete free market capitalists who want zero regulation. Most understand that a minimal amount of regulation is required, but too many people, especially lefties, have never seen a regulation they could not live with. Requirements that businesses extend credit to people not credit worthy is just plain stupid. Anyone that knows anything about economy KNOWS that there are periods of growth and correction. Providing looser and looser credit to keep people afloat GUARENTEES that periods of contraction are going to be greater than they otherwise would have been. There is a mindset, primarily among liberals that ownership is a right and not a privilege earned through success. No one is owed a home or a successful business. We ought not prop up bad businesses or people who should not own a home at a period in their life where their finances do not warrant business or home ownership. And that includes not just low income but middle income individuals. There is nothing wrong with renting. Shit, when you rent you have less expenses associated with home ownership. Your landlord has to replace the roof, put in a new heater, pay for extermination services etc. Americans are not entitled to shit. They are entitled to the ability to be free to work their ass off, go to school, get an education and earn the ownership of business, homes, new cars, home theaters etc. When I was a kid in the 70's not everyone had a credit card. It was a hard thing to get. You had to be credit worthy, which meant having a job that provided you with the disposable income to make monthly payments. When my grandparents had a credit card, my grandfather paid them off monthly unless there was an unexpected expense that required 60 days to pay off. When he died he had 11 credit cards and NOT ONE OF THEM had a ballance due. Now credit card companies give college students cards with 1000 dollar limits. LIbertarians don't want a wild west anything goes economy, at least not many of them. What they want is the ability to do business, make money and pay the people that work for them. I know that they are evil and make more money than do their employees, but they take the risks and stand to lose much more if the business fails. That failure should not be prolonged by the easing of lending so that when they ultimately fail, they fall farther than they otherwise would have.
    but but... everyone should have the RIGHT to that new flat screen TV every other year. Everyone should have the RIGHT to drive a BMW... have the best and newest treatments in health care... have the RIGHT to every little thing they can think of subsidized by the government if they aren't working hard enough to earn it on their own.

How dare you suggest they have to work hard to attain the higher quality of life. It should be given to them. That is what the government is for.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This isn't very Libertarian but I don't disagree with the idea of the government promoting home ownership as a good thing with tax write-offs for instance. I think there are definant advantages to individuals and to communities for people to own their homes. Now this of course does not mean everyone must own a home. And as Soc pointed out the government trying to lower standards to get people to purchase a home that aren't really in a financial position to do so ends up having a negative consequence.

But on the whole I am a big proponent of home ownership.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This isn't very Libertarian but I don't disagree with the idea of the government promoting home ownership as a good thing with tax write-offs for instance. I think there are definant advantages to individuals and to communities for people to own their homes. Now this of course does not mean everyone must own a home. And as Soc pointed out the government trying to lower standards to get people to purchase a home that aren't really in a financial position to do so ends up having a negative consequence.

But on the whole I am a big proponent of home ownership.
    I agree certain incentives are fine... such as the mortgage interest deduction, but like Soc said, the initiatives forced down the throats of the industry to lower credit standards was nothing short of absurd.

Promotion of home ownership is great... if we make sure it is done in a responsible manner. The problem is that politicians fail to grasp the concept of 'responsible'

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    classic evasion of any intent for personal responsibility.
    ZOMG, Libertarians are anarchists because they don't want people governed!!!!!!

what's it like to distrust people and freedom so much that you demand people be controlled by government?
    exactly
    That hopple dude is a moron

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    HaHa, man that was great. Gracias, that totally gave me a laugh.

Is this why libertarian message board posters have such a chip on their shoulder? Emotional drama and being distraught at being dismissed as irrelevant?

Here's a tip, and don't take this personally. Nobody hates libertarians, or spends more than a few nanoseconds of time thinking about them or making fun of them.

It's not worth it. Most of the entire planet knows that the markets unleashed to self-police themselves won't, and never will work. Every adult knows that shit doesn't get done at the scale of a nation-state by relying on the theory of rational self-interest.

It's really just a theoretical ideology promoted by a handful of theorists and cranks who don't want to pay taxes, and was fueled by rage at the New Deal and the modern social democratic states of the US and other developed nations.

You're missing the point. The point we are always right and you piss us off.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.