Thread: Suggested solution to Fermi's paradox

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Suggested solution to Fermi's paradox

A certain amount of reasonable predictions that scientists made about the nature of life and how quickly it should spread to the universe lead to the inclusion that an intelligent life form should take over its entire galaxy in about 25 million years. Clearly this isn't happening - if intelligent life spread that fast we'd see radio signals and clear evidence all over the place (there's not clear evidence all over the place - if you are a UFO fanatic please take your leave of absence). It's also possible that some assumptions we made are way off, and that it takes more than the age of the universe to dominate a galaxy, but I'm just going to assume that's not true for the purpose of this.

My suggestion: maybe it's just that difficult to come up with science? People often talk about how bad it was that Rome fell, but honestly, if Rome had been up all this time I think we would have gotten nowhere. Rome had a lot of know-how but not a lot of know-why. This is because they never really developed evidence based science. I doubt we'd have computers or electricity even after all this time if we had been living under that philosophy. What if a dedicated system of knowledge like science is just very, very difficult to come up with and requires a lot of things that are highly improbable? We almost missed it ourselves - the church could have easily stamped it out in its early days (and if it had, it would still probably dominate humanity).
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    A certain amount of reasonable predictions that scientists made about the nature of life and how quickly it should spread to the universe lead to the inclusion that an intelligent life form should take over its entire galaxy in about 25 million years. Clearly this isn't happening - if intelligent life spread that fast we'd see radio signals and clear evidence all over the place (there's not clear evidence all over the place - if you are a UFO fanatic please take your leave of absence). It's also possible that some assumptions we made are way off, and that it takes more than the age of the universe to dominate a galaxy, but I'm just going to assume that's not true for the purpose of this.

My suggestion: maybe it's just that difficult to come up with science? People often talk about how bad it was that Rome fell, but honestly, if Rome had been up all this time I think we would have gotten nowhere. Rome had a lot of know-how but not a lot of know-why. This is because they never really developed evidence based science. I doubt we'd have computers or electricity even after all this time if we had been living under that philosophy. What if a dedicated system of knowledge like science is just very, very difficult to come up with and requires a lot of things that are highly improbable? We almost missed it ourselves - the church could have easily stamped it out in its early days (and if it had, it would still probably dominate humanity).
    what is older than the universe?

the church had a relatively small influence on the world watermark....are you suggesting that non europeans are stupid and couldn't come up with science thinking and knowledge on their own?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    what is older than the universe?

the church had a relatively small influence on the world watermark....are you suggesting that non europeans are stupid and couldn't come up with science thinking and knowledge on their own?
    I'm saying they DIDN'T.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I'm saying they DIDN'T.
    um

It's also possible that some assumptions we made are way off, and that it takes more than the age of the universe to dominate a galaxy, but I'm just going to assume that's not true for the purpose of this.
    you said you "assumed"......for this thread's purpose....

which is it?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wokest View Post

There may be no way for biological life, life as we understand it, to travel at warp speed, ever, by any species of extraterrestial life.
    It may be that attempts have been made to contact us using signals from distant galaxies but we are as yet incapable of discerning it.
    It may be that they cannot cast a strong enough signal to be detected. After all, the power of an entire star appears as a tiny glimmer
    to us. How strong them, must be the minimum intelligible signal from a race of people revolving around one? We can barely make out planets
    in other solar systems much less get them on the 5G network. So, my reconciliation is based on practicality. I think they are out there,
    I am sure we haven't been visited, I think they would have to be insanely advanced to even communicate a pulse in our general galactic direction
    with 500 million years head start.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    There may be no way for biological life, life as we understand it, to travel at warp speed, ever, by any species of extraterrestial life.
    It may be that attempts have been made to contact us using signals from distant galaxies but we are as yet incapable of discerning it.
    It may be that they cannot cast a strong enough signal to be detected. After all, the power of an entire star appears as a tiny glimmer
    to us. How strong them, must be the minimum intelligible signal from a race of people revolving around one? We can barely make out planets
    in other solar systems much less get them on the 5G network. So, my reconciliation is based on practicality. I think they are out there,
    I am sure we haven't been visited, I think they would have to be insanely advanced to even communicate a pulse in our general galactic direction
    There is nothing, yet discovered, to demonstrate that life on earth is not a unique phenomenon.
    There is no paradox because probabilities can not be projected with only one data point.
    Last edited by Leonthecat; 06-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wokest: "We almost missed it ourselves - the church could have easily stamped it out in its early days (and if it had, it would still probably dominate humanity)."
    The Christian Church squelched any attempt at 'original thought' and 'knowledge' that went against it's doctrine. A 1,000 years is a pretty good track record of suppressing the inquiring mind.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Maybe they know we are here and are hiding from us. Just because we want to find others doesn't mean others want to be found.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

Jack (06-19-2018)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Weird grave dig....

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is old af. I was like 18 when I wrote this.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is old af. I was like 12 when I wrote this.
    Interesting

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

This is old af. I was like 18 when I wrote this.
    Wow...what a coincidence. You were 18 when I read it too!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Minister of Truth (06-19-2018)

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (06-19-2018), Mott the Hoople (06-19-2018)