Thread: Follow Up Interview with Whole Paycheck CEO Jon Mackey

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Follow Up Interview with Whole Paycheck CEO Jon Mackey

This is the guy who got labeled a 'wing nut' for not supporting the public option and writing an op-ed in the Journal proposing more free market reforms along the lines of how Whole Paycheck does it (sorry I shop at the store all the time, like their food but it is a freaking rip off). Here's a blurb from a follow up interview he did with the Journal. At the link you can click to see the whole interview.

OUR FAVORITE CAPITALIST! John Mackey of Whole Foods Market interviewed in the Wall Street Journal:

"I honestly don't know why the article became such a lightning rod," says John Mackey, CEO and founder of Whole Foods Market Inc., as he tries to explain the firestorm caused by his August op-ed on these pages opposing government-run health care. "I think a lot of people who got angry haven't read what I actually wrote. There was a lot of emotional reaction—fear and anger. I just wanted to get people to think about whether there was a better way to reform the system."

...Yet his now famous op-ed incited a boycott of Whole Foods by some of his left-wing customers. His piece advised that "the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us closer to a complete government takeover of our health-care system." Free-market groups retaliated with a "buy-cott," encouraging people to purchase more groceries at Whole Foods.

Why did he write the piece in the first place?

"President Obama called for constructive suggestions for health-care reform," he explains. "I took him at his word." Mr. Mackey continues: "It just seems to me there are some fundamental reforms that we've adopted at Whole Foods that would make health care much more affordable for the uninsured."

http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is the guy who got labeled a 'wing nut' for not supporting the public option and writing an op-ed in the Journal proposing more free market reforms along the lines of how Whole Paycheck does it (sorry I shop at the store all the time, like their food but it is a freaking rip off). Here's a blurb from a follow up interview he did with the Journal. At the link you can click to see the whole interview.

OUR FAVORITE CAPITALIST! John Mackey of Whole Foods Market interviewed in the Wall Street Journal:

"I honestly don't know why the article became such a lightning rod," says John Mackey, CEO and founder of Whole Foods Market Inc., as he tries to explain the firestorm caused by his August op-ed on these pages opposing government-run health care. "I think a lot of people who got angry haven't read what I actually wrote. There was a lot of emotional reaction—fear and anger. I just wanted to get people to think about whether there was a better way to reform the system."

...Yet his now famous op-ed incited a boycott of Whole Foods by some of his left-wing customers. His piece advised that "the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us closer to a complete government takeover of our health-care system." Free-market groups retaliated with a "buy-cott," encouraging people to purchase more groceries at Whole Foods.

Why did he write the piece in the first place?

"President Obama called for constructive suggestions for health-care reform," he explains. "I took him at his word." Mr. Mackey continues: "It just seems to me there are some fundamental reforms that we've adopted at Whole Foods that would make health care much more affordable for the uninsured."

http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp
    but but he is da evilz... gimme da public option!!! Only the guvment can save me now.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I read his Op-Ed. It was all lies. I don't see how you could say it with a straight face on.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34