Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default HIV vaccine

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...ve-more-lives/

HIV vaccine poised to save more lives

. .

HIV is a virus that is incredibly tough to nail down. It mutates constantly – not enough to lose its deadly aspects, but enough to shapeshift, as it were, preventing our immune systems from recognizing it. That makes a vaccine really difficult to create.
    But now the New York Times is reporting that a new combination of experimental vaccines appears to be effective in lowering the risk of HIV infection! In a controlled study, the number of people in a group using the vaccine had 30% fewer HIV cases compared to a group who did not get vaccinated. Specifically, there were 51 HIV cases out of 8200 people vaccinated versus 74 out of 8200 not vaccinated. That’s very heartening! The vaccination course is actually composed of two different vaccines, neither of which on its own was effective, but together appear to boost the immune system enough (in some cases) to help fight off the initial virus infection.
    A few things to note:
    1) The vaccine course was not 100% effective, and does not drop the viral load of someone already infected. This is a prophylaxis, a preventative. It’s not a cure.
    2) There is no HIV in the vaccine itself — it has pieces of the protein HIV coats itself with, to help the body recognize the virus — so people using it cannot get HIV from it.
    3) The vaccine is not widely available; it’s still experimental. It was also tested on just strains found in Thailand, which may not translate well for other strains found elsewhere.
    4) The vaccination was developed by the U.S. Army in cooperation with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Expect the antivax cranks to go ballistic over that first part.
    I think this is a big stride forward, but as always there’s a ways to go yet. Ask anyone in the medical profession what the most important advance in history has been in their field, and vaccines are very high on the list. Vaccines have saved hundreds of millions of lives… and it looks like scientists will continue to find ways to do so.
    Science!
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,732 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyHippo View Post
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...ve-more-lives/

HIV vaccine poised to save more lives

. .

HIV is a virus that is incredibly tough to nail down. It mutates constantly – not enough to lose its deadly aspects, but enough to shapeshift, as it were, preventing our immune systems from recognizing it. That makes a vaccine really difficult to create.
    But now the New York Times is reporting that a new combination of experimental vaccines appears to be effective in lowering the risk of HIV infection! In a controlled study, the number of people in a group using the vaccine had 30% fewer HIV cases compared to a group who did not get vaccinated. Specifically, there were 51 HIV cases out of 8200 people vaccinated versus 74 out of 8200 not vaccinated. That’s very heartening! The vaccination course is actually composed of two different vaccines, neither of which on its own was effective, but together appear to boost the immune system enough (in some cases) to help fight off the initial virus infection.
    A few things to note:
    1) The vaccine course was not 100% effective, and does not drop the viral load of someone already infected. This is a prophylaxis, a preventative. It’s not a cure.
    2) There is no HIV in the vaccine itself — it has pieces of the protein HIV coats itself with, to help the body recognize the virus — so people using it cannot get HIV from it.
    3) The vaccine is not widely available; it’s still experimental. It was also tested on just strains found in Thailand, which may not translate well for other strains found elsewhere.
    4) The vaccination was developed by the U.S. Army in cooperation with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Expect the antivax cranks to go ballistic over that first part.
    I think this is a big stride forward, but as always there’s a ways to go yet. Ask anyone in the medical profession what the most important advance in history has been in their field, and vaccines are very high on the list. Vaccines have saved hundreds of millions of lives… and it looks like scientists will continue to find ways to do so.
    Science!
    HIV does not equal AIDS. To date, there is NO scientific paper that proves this conclusively.

http://www.virusmyth.com/aids/controversy.htm

http://www.duesberg.com/subject/africa2.html
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

*sigh*
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

*sigh*
    Yeah, I know......it's not about science, but beliefs, politics and MONEY! But the truth is out there for those who wish to THINK!

http://www.suppressedscience.net/aids.html
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Go away.

Is there any way to ban a user from a thread?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol thread hijacked.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go away.

I haven't installed that.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Go away.

lol

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Go away.

Grow up! It's called a discussion of ALL the facts...not just what you want to hear and believe. If you don't have the knowledge or courage to honestly do so, then just put me on IA and stop whining.

George Orwell

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I haven't installed that.
    Why, because I present information that contradicts popular belief and consensus? Isn't that the childish equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "I'm not listening....la-la-la!"

George Orwell

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    lol thread hijacked.
    No, just presenting information that a lot of people just want to deny or ignore. So much for honest debate.

George Orwell

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Why, because I present information that contradicts popular belief and consensus? Isn't that the childish equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "I'm not listening....la-la-la!"
    Right. That's why I haven't installed it. Are you really that thick?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

This "open discussion of the facts" has lead to around half a million lives being lost, however.

Some things aren't worth entertaining as legitimate because doing so KILLS PEOPLE.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/pre...th-africa.html

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
    Don't have a hissy fit.....if I could read thoughts through postings, I'd be asking my agent to raise my guest speaking fees (if I had an agent, that is). Get a grip.
    Last edited by Taichiliberal; 09-25-2009 at 06:39 PM.

George Orwell

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    This "open discussion of the facts" has lead to around half a million lives being lost, however.

Some things aren't worth entertaining as legitimate because doing so KILLS PEOPLE.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/pre...th-africa.html
    Non sequitur...

We're holding a conversation about an option to ban somebody from a thread and how I chose not to add such an option. There is nothing we do at this site that causes millions of deaths.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle