Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the right to drive

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Activist court. Repubs usually complain when the courts protect rights not explicitly listed in the constitution, e.g., abortion.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    My father's right to drive should be taken away from him, but I am a coward and won't do it.

any volunteers?
    In KY his DR can do it. The patient can appeal but I have never heard of a successful appeal.

The DR just issues a letter to the DMV. And they issue a letter to the driver who can either appeal or send in his drivers licence.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Did you Shepardize the cite to insure that it is still good law? I don't have access Shepard's here at the house, but if S.E. Reporter is the only place this appears then the right is only particular to one State in the US. Nationwide, it's still a privilege.
    States rights.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Which state, Soc? I don't even know what the S.E. Reporter, except that I'm assuming its a law review journal of some kind...
    it is a reporter that reports cases for the SE division of the US...it is basically a state case digest....

that is why soc questioned the validity of the case because i believe the scotus has basically said driving is a privilege and not a right, so the state case would be trumped....the theory is that since you need a license before you can operate a motor vehicle, it is not a fundamental right, it is a privilege, however, certain due process rights attach once you gain a license and the state tries to take it away

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

PACKARD v. BANTON, 264 U.S. 140 (1924)

The streets belong to the public and are primarily for the use of the public in the ordinary way. Their use for the purposes of gain is special and extraordinary, and, generally at least, may be prohibited or conditioned as the Legislature deems proper.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=264&invol=140
    Requires registration.

It seems the supreme's recognized a right to drive, but that there was no recognized right to carry passengers or goods for profit.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

What America needs, from what your TV shows us, is a 'Right NOT to drive'!!
    When people start to fight for that right you will be getting somewhere.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    it is a reporter that reports cases for the SE division of the US...it is basically a state case digest....

that is why soc questioned the validity of the case because i believe the scotus has basically said driving is a privilege and not a right, so the state case would be trumped....the theory is that since you need a license before you can operate a motor vehicle, it is not a fundamental right, it is a privilege, however, certain due process rights attach once you gain a license and the state tries to take it away
    the bolded part is where the people of this country need to unite, but will never happen. simply abiding by a court decision that says there is no constitutional right since it's not specifically mentioned in the constitution completely eliminates the 9th and 10th Amendments and shouldn't be tolerated in any way, shape, or form.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

9. #24 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whomever View Post
    In KY his DR can do it. The patient can appeal but I have never heard of a successful appeal.

The DR just issues a letter to the DMV. And they issue a letter to the driver who can either appeal or send in his drivers licence.
    I will have to check into the laws in Kansas. My sister followed him home from the hospital and says it is time!

My mother has made a full recovery! 90 years old and amazing, an intestinal blockage, two blood transfusions and pneumonia and she is not at home and doing GREAT!

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

My father's right to drive should be taken away from him, but I am a coward and won't do it.

any volunteers?
    It is tough for a child to that to a parent. I would suggest having one of your kids do it. I took away my grandmothers keys rather than my father or aunt doing it. Way easier for a grandkid to do it than a kid.

11. #26 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    It is tough for a child to that to a parent. I would suggest having one of your kids do it. I took away my grandmothers keys rather than my father or aunt doing it. Way easier for a grandkid to do it than a kid.
    Maybe, my nephew who was almost drafted to the Colt's would be the best candidate!

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My dearest mother-in-law locked her keys in her car, accidentally, and my brother-in-law had a heart-to-heart with her about trying to recover them and drive again. She is now in an advanced stage of Alzheimer's. It was difficult for him but it was entirely an act of love. She had had a couple of (luckily) single car incidents that showed she was no longer fully competent to drive.

I meant the "dearest" part; it wasn't sarcasm. She was a thoroughly bright and wonderful person and it's heartbreaking to see what's happening to her.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    the bolded part is where the people of this country need to unite, but will never happen. simply abiding by a court decision that says there is no constitutional right since it's not specifically mentioned in the constitution completely eliminates the 9th and 10th Amendments and shouldn't be tolerated in any way, shape, or form.
    interesting....then the scotus should not be the highest court in the land?

if it is a right....then if you can't pass the drivers test, do you still have a right to drive? if you get a dui and your license revoked, do you still have a right to drive?

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

interesting....then the scotus should not be the highest court in the land?
    but the supreme court is not the ultimate authority on the constitution. That is 'we the people'.

if it is a right....then if you can't pass the drivers test, do you still have a right to drive?
    like all rights, there can be no test, license, fee, or tax. voluntarily complying with the licensing process is a choice i guess, but i don't do it.

if you get a dui and your license revoked, do you still have a right to drive?
    my opinion is if you can't be trusted with your rights, you don't deserve to be out on the streets.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

It is hard not to be independent, too, I still have some issues. I get turned around backwards and get lost easily!
    I've never gotten lost. Though there was that time in mountains of western New York State where I was a bit confused for a couple of hours. I almost stopped and asked for directions!!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!