1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Could not agree more...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/...age/index.html

It is time for this archaic rule to be changed. An adult should be defined in the same manner for all situations. If it is 18 for voting, military service, contracts, accountability in court etc... then it should be 18 for drinking as well.

"The principal problem of 2009 is not drunken driving. The principal problem of 2009 is clandestine binge drinking."

" The problem today is different. The problem today is reckless, goal-oriented alcohol consumption that all too often takes place in clandestine locations, where enforcement has proven frustratingly difficult. Alcohol consumption among young adults is not taking place in public places or public view or in the presence of other adults who might help model responsible behavior. But we know it is taking place.

If not in public, then where? The college presidents who signed the Amethyst Initiative know where. It happens in "pre-gaming" sessions in locked dorm rooms where students take multiple shots of hard alcohol in rapid succession, before going to a social event where alcohol is not served. It happens in off-campus apartments beyond college boundaries and thus beyond the presidents' authority; and it happens in remote fields to which young adults must drive. "

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

yes

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

People are hugely oppose to lowering the drinking age in America. Maybe when they come out with collision detection systems support will grow, but right now they blame underage drinkers for everything under the sun, and attribute all the lives saved since 1985 to the over 21 law.

It's just hypocritical, in my opinion, for one adult to say that they should be able to drink and yet deny that to another adult.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyHippo View Post
    People are hugely oppose to lowering the drinking age in America. Maybe when they come out with collision detection systems support will grow, but right now they blame underage drinkers for everything under the sun, and attribute all the lives saved since 1985 to the over 21 law.

It's just hypocritical, in my opinion, for one adult to say that they should be able to drink and yet deny that to another adult.
    I think it is beyond hypocritical. It is unConstitutional in my opinion to discriminate based on age. As this article points out, binge drinking has increased or stayed the same for the various demographics. The point that they are still going to be drinking, but instead of being around other adults in a bar who might have a positive influence on consumption levels they are going to fields/friends homes/dorm rooms etc... where there is no supervision.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that parents should be allowed to introduce alcohol to their kids so they can ensure responsibility. I think we are stupid about drinking and sex in the US.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I think it is beyond hypocritical. It is unConstitutional in my opinion to discriminate based on age.
    but this is what the living document liberals wanted. judges who would interpret the constitution according to the times that we live in and those authoritarian bastards know whats best for you and your kids.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.