Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will the Healthcare bill BHO signs look like?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,910 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default What will the Healthcare bill BHO signs look like?

It now appears to be to be a given that we will get a healthcare bill.

To me the big bet is if it will include a government option.

My bet: a watered down government option.

Any other predictions.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

No public option, but there will be something in there that the admin will trumpet to try to save face. It will definitely be watered down.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,978 Times in 32,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

it won't cover illegal aliens....

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    It now appears to be to be a given that we will get a healthcare bill.

To me the big bet is if it will include a government option.

My bet: a watered down government option.

Any other predictions.
    As I've been saying since Obama was elected .. he is only interested in healthcare tweaking, not real reform.

His bill will not have a public option, thus, it's useless.

They've essentially said as much . and have now morphed from single-payer to public option to a "trigger."

Don't get played .. AGAIN.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,978 Times in 32,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

since the libs have strong opinions about things with triggers, I presume it will have a Congress-proof safety lock?.....

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    No public option, but there will be something in there that the admin will trumpet to try to save face. It will definitely be watered down.
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this, if anything is passed this is what it will likely look like.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    As I've been saying since Obama was elected .. he is only interested in healthcare tweaking, not real reform.

His bill will not have a public option, thus, it's useless.

They've essentially said as much . and have now morphed from single-payer to public option to a "trigger."

Don't get played .. AGAIN.
    BAC, are you under the impression that a President with more "conviction" would be able to get a public option passed?

Let's say Kucinich had gotten elected; would he have been able to pass a public option right now?

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think we can utterly discount any sort of strong public option due to intense insurance lobbying against it. Which means the bill will do nothing to control costs, but it will provide universal coverage.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

BAC, are you under the impression that a President with more "conviction" would be able to get a public option passed?

Let's say Kucinich had gotten elected; would he have been able to pass a public option right now?
    Kucinich had he got elected would not have even been able to pass gas.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

My company employs 40K people of which it provides copay coverage of the employees. Being in finance and HR I can assure you they are watering at the mouth at the potential to have a public option so they can raise premiums and copay's to point that people start electing to opt out of the corp plan thus saving them millions to the bottom line.

The reason a public option was rejected is because its obvious what it is. Dont lie to us and say well you will have the option so why wouldn't you like it. Thats Bush SSI privatization bullshit. The option would not last long when companies slowly nudged employees to the public plan.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Obama could get a public option if he had the balls and/or willingness to do it.

He has the reigns of the party with a super-majority to boot. This should have been his highest priority. He wasted capital on the bailouts that nobody understands and few agree with.

He has NEVER truly been behind the public option and was pushed by Hillary Clinton to even say the words "single-payer." He's only talking about it now because once again, he's being pushed.

If he can't get it done .. along with the many other things he can't get done .. in this environment with a super-majority .. what good is he?

Is symbolism and good speeches all you get for your money?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,327 Times in 9,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

It won't get that far.

This thing is dead in the water. Repubs won't go along. Dems won't go it alone because they won't want to be solely responsible for the catastrophe it will cause.

Because you libs ignore reality, you can't factor it into your procedural models.

The republicans actually have all the power.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Obama could get a public option if he had the balls and/or willingness to do it."

Seriously - that is strangely out of touch with reality. No amount of willingness on Obama's part is going to switch blue dog votes.

You lose me when you start arguing this point. There is no President right now, in this climate, no matter how much integrity, conviction & willingness you think he had, who could change the congressional reality of this situation. It's silly to just say "the Dems have the majority, and can do anything they want." You are discounting the fact that they are also individuals, and are not harmonious on the public option.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

I can get behind a public option if it is handled in a couple ways.

1) private insurer accountability - if a private insurer cancels coverage because a person got sick or has a pre-existing condition that wasn't mentioned before, that insurer should pay for one years worth of premiums on the public option.

2) I have a real issue with the mandatory insurance and fine crap. The mandatory auto insurance laws were not made to protect any private individual and intimating that it was is pure unadulterated bullshit. it is the same reason for wanting to make health insurance mandatory, it comes down to nothing but money. it's BS.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post

1) private insurer accountability - if a private insurer cancels coverage because a person got sick or has a pre-existing condition that wasn't mentioned before, that insurer should pay for one years worth of premiums on the public option.
    I'm pretty certain they just aren't going to allow such practices anymore.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34