Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Day I Put $50,000 in a Shoe Box and Handed It to a Stranger I never thought I was

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,870 Times in 21,642 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Suuure.
    How many classes have you taken at TU?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,625 Times in 16,558 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    I have a great nephew that was labeled with ADD . I suggested he be tested. It turns out that he is just very intelligent. They moved him into gifted and talented classes and he is thriving. He was just very bored. Now he is a prolific reader . We send him several books every month.
    It's too easy to just slap that label on... especially if the district needs to up it's numbers.... special education is certainly not what it was originally meant to be anymore...
    That they accuse you of what they are doing themselves, every...single...time

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Day I Put $50,000 in a Shoe Box and Handed It to a Stranger I never thought I was the kind of person to fall for a scam.

On a Tuesday evening this past October, I put $50,000 in cash in a shoe box, taped it shut as instructed, and carried it to the sidewalk in front of my apartment, my phone clasped to my ear. “Don’t let anyone hurt me,” I told the man on the line, feeling pathetic.

“You won’t be hurt,” he answered. “Just keep doing exactly as I say.”

Three minutes later, a white Mercedes SUV pulled up to the curb. “The back window will open,” said the man on the phone. “Do not look at the driver or talk to him. Put the box through the window, say ‘thank you,’ and go back inside.”

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. “I can help you, but only if you cooperate,” he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

Now I know this was all a scam — a cruel and violating one but painfully obvious in retrospect. Here’s what I can’t figure out: Why didn’t I just hang up and call 911? Why didn’t I text my husband, or my brother (a lawyer), or my best friend (also a lawyer), or my parents, or one of the many other people who would have helped me? Why did I hand over all that money — the contents of my savings account, strictly for emergencies — without a bigger fight?

When I’ve told people this story, most of them say the same thing: You don’t seem like the type of person this would happen to. What they mean is that I’m not senile, or hysterical, or a rube. But these stereotypes are actually false. Younger adults — Gen Z, millennials, and Gen X — are 34 percent more likely to report losing money to fraud compared with those over 60, according to a recent report from the Federal Trade Commission. Another study found that well-educated people or those with good jobs were just as vulnerable to scams as everyone else.

Still, how could I have been such easy prey? Scam victims tend to be single, lonely, and economically insecure with low financial literacy. I am none of those things. I’m closer to the opposite. I’m a journalist who had a weekly column in the “Business” section of the New York Times. I’ve written a personal-finance column for this magazine for the past seven years. I interview money experts all the time and take their advice seriously. I’m married and talk to my friends, family, and colleagues every day.....
    ========================
    She isn't old or senile but she is a gullible Democrat. I have been watching Scammer Payback on Youtube It is both sad and hysterical at the same time. They gain access to the scammer's computer and turn on the scammer camera and watch them. They tell the scammer their real name and exactly where they are . I have seen the scammer sobbing and begging the Scammer Payback guy not to post the scammer's information on the internet. Most of these scams originate in India. The SP guy speaks Hindi and understands when they talk to other scammers. It's very entertaining. He set up a call center staffed by expert white hats from all over the US and backed by Any Desk a software company that has software the scammers frequently use to gain remote access to your computer.

This woman is a FINANCE reporter

That is as silly as people believing all of the below is due to biased judges.

2016 - $25,0000,000 to resolve Trump University lawsuit.

2019 - $2,000,000 fine for using “Trump charity” money on himself.

2023 - $5,000,000 for lying about it after raping E.Jean Carrol

2024 - $38,000,000 for again lying about having raped E. Jean Carrol.

2024 - $355,000,000 for submitting fraudulent loan applications and false business documents.

This list does not include two impeachments, or however many criminal indictments from various prosecutors.

The fact that he is barred from conducting business in the State of New York. The number of bankruptcies… pending lawsuits by police officers injured on January 6, and a new lawsuit from his prostitute Stephanie Clifford, and a list from Michael Cohen.

Still feel this many people are engaged in such a conspiracy?

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-26-2024)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And throwing away large diamonds.....
    I mentioned that earlier... he threw one in the trash?

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And throwing away large diamonds.....
    I mentioned that earlier... he threw one in the trash? We know what Hunter did with his...

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    That is as silly as people believing all of the below is due to biased judges.

2024 - $355,000,000 for submitting fraudulent loan applications and false business documents.

This list does not include two impeachments, or however many criminal indictments from various prosecutors.

The fact that he is barred from conducting business in the State of New York. The number of bankruptcies… pending lawsuits by police officers injured on January 6, and a new lawsuit from his prostitute Stephanie Clifford, and a list from Michael Cohen.

Absolutely... could it be any more obvious?Tish campaigned on it.... nothing strange or unethical about that is there?

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Absolutely... could it be any more obvious?Tish campaigned on it.... nothing strange or unethical about that is there?
    I posted several lawsuits Trump lost.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I posted several lawsuits Trump lost.
    So I'm correct...

10. #69 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,601 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    You among the latter. Historians and psychologist years from now will still puzzle over how Trump was able to attract so many devoted followers.
    Who I would have voted for is out of the race. Who is in the race, I will never vote for. His name is Biden.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So I'm correct...
    No...

You are the delusional one.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-26-2024)

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No...

You are the delusional one.

Absolutely a conspiracy...https://www.foxnews.com/video/6347643629112

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,302 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Don't you mean one of Hunter "Bagman" Biden's business partners...? [i]Put $50,000 in a shoebox for the Big Guy and leave it in the bush next to the Third Street bus stop..."
    Pimping for Putin again, "patriot"? Back in the day we used to hang you traitors. Maybe it's time to return to those days? lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Crackheads... Joe's brother had a rough day yesterday...There's an issue with remembering in that family...
    Oh look! It's JPP's self-proclaimed best church lady, demonstrating her Christian lovingkindness and compassion! What was that scolding you puked out the other day, about "going after family members"? Remember that? Or is your memory slipping?

Maybe Jesus can help you.

“Do not judge, or you will be judged. For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

"Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye? 5You hypocrite! First take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." -- Matt. 7: 1-4
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    The problem is, there's so many stupid people in this country. And they blindly vote...
    Luke?
    Yes, Yoda?
    In this one the irony is great.

17. #75 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,601 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Luke?
    Yes, Yoda?
    In this one the irony is great.

Hmmm...struck a nerve, I see
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.