Members banned from this thread: evince, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, serendipity, Jade Dragon, Port Tack, Trumpet, saltydancin, Doc Dutch, Geeko Sportivo, Concart, BidenPresident and Gondwanaland

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A View from the Frontlines | Scott Ritter

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,986 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The think tanks that the NeoCons came out of were right wing think tanks, like the Project for the New American Century. The universities were all sorts of universities. For instance, Rice got her PHD from the University of Denver, and taught at Stanford.

Did you know Rice wrote the Chicken Kiev Speech? I did not. It was a speech where Bush senior tried to preserve the USSR, and keep Ukraine from getting independence. It was bizarre how the Bush Administration tried to keep the USSR, and even the Berlin Wall.

And still the Republican descendants of the NeoCons are against Ukraine.
    From Wikipedia

Murray Rothbard
    Rothbard argued that all services provided by the "monopoly system of the corporate state" could be provided more efficiently by the private sector and wrote that the state is "the organization of robbery systematized and writ large". He called fractional-reserve banking a form of fraud and opposed central banking. He categorically opposed all military, political, and economic interventionism in the affairs of other nations. According to his protégé Hans-Hermann Hoppe, "[t]here would be no anarcho-capitalist movement to speak of without Rothbard"
    -----------------------------------------

Libertarians go right and left. Libertarian basically means anarchist: fiscal or social.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

In fact, every weapons inspector agreed there were no WMDs in Iraq.
    You and goat are both delusional, and are trying to rewrite history. The weapons inspectors were all in agreement that they weren't being allowed to inspect. They were not, and could not have been, all in agreement that there weren't any WMDs because they had not been allowed to inspect. Saddam gave the appearance that he definitely had WMDs by never allowing inspections. Eventually, George Bush got a unanimous UN resolution (UNSCR 1441) supporting invading Iraq, which Bush used to support invading Iraq to enforce the inspections.

The fact that no WMDs were found upon invasion only means that Saddam Hussein was very stupid, and that the weapons convoys that we observed going from Iraq into Syria probably carried the WMDs in question.

It must suck to have a completely fictitious world view.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    From Wikipedia

Murray Rothbard
    Rothbard argued that all services provided by the "monopoly system of the corporate state" could be provided more efficiently by the private sector and wrote that the state is "the organization of robbery systematized and writ large". He called fractional-reserve banking a form of fraud and opposed central banking. He categorically opposed all military, political, and economic interventionism in the affairs of other nations. According to his protégé Hans-Hermann Hoppe, "[t]here would be no anarcho-capitalist movement to speak of without Rothbard"
    -----------------------------------------

Libertarians go right and left. Libertarian basically means anarchist: fiscal or social.
    Even with Rothbard, there is not much of a anarcho-capitalist movement... But yes, one could use anarcho-capitalism and libertarian somewhat interchangeably. Anarcho-capitalism is often a bit more extreme, but basically the same ideas.

Libertarians in America are mostly right wing. Anarchists can be on either side of the spectrum, but anarcho-capitalists tend to also be right wing in America.

If you want an easy way to tell the difference between a Republican and a libertarian, ask them whether drugs should be legalized. Republicans are extremely against legalizing drugs, where as libertarians are extremely for it.

Want to have your mind blown... Communists consider themselves anarchists!!!
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."
    trump is a child rapist. We all know it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

anonymoose (02-24-2024)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even with Rothbard, there is not much of a anarcho-capitalist movement... But yes, one could use anarcho-capitalism and libertarian somewhat interchangeably. Anarcho-capitalism is often a bit more extreme, but basically the same ideas.

Libertarians in America are mostly right wing. Anarchists can be on either side of the spectrum, but anarcho-capitalists tend to also be right wing in America.

If you want an easy way to tell the difference between a Republican and a libertarian, ask them whether drugs should be legalized. Republicans are extremely against legalizing drugs, where as libertarians are extremely for it.

Want to have your mind blown... Communists consider themselves anarchists!!!
    Last year we talked about why fractional-reserve banking is a problem for a CBDC. Do you remember that conversation? How would the fed get around fractional-reserve banking? This is an easy one so keep it short.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Last year we talked about why fractional-reserve banking is a problem for a CBDC. Do you remember that conversation? How would the fed get around fractional-reserve banking? This is an easy one so keep it short.
    The Fed is making no effort to get around fractional reserve banking. But I can only imagine the runs on banks if the Fed ever did announce that it was going to try to get around fractional reserve banking. We have a system that is working well, so no one in the Fed wants to mess with it.

I would personally be more willing to mess with it. I tend to think that things can be better. I am probably wrong, so it is a good thing I have no say in the Fed.

Now Xi has totally been willing to mess things up, but I think he has reached the temporary limit for that. He might be willing to take things a step further in a few years.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Fed is making no effort to get around fractional reserve banking. But I can only imagine the runs on banks if the Fed ever did announce that it was going to try to get around fractional reserve banking. We have a system that is working well, so no one in the Fed wants to mess with it.

I would personally be more willing to mess with it. I tend to think that things can be better. I am probably wrong, so it is a good thing I have no say in the Fed.

Now Xi has totally been willing to mess things up, but I think he has reached the temporary limit for that. He might be willing to take things a step further in a few years.
    Then I showed you how the fed and Wall Street were trying to co-opt bitcoin.
    And how many countries signed up for Belt and Road.
    Finally, the dollar having competition.
    It's easy to connect the dots.
    Will bitcoin go up or down?

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then I showed you how the fed and Wall Street were trying to co-opt bitcoin.
    You did claim that, but I think you are just a conspiracy theorist.

Bitcoins only have value because we believe they have value. If we do not want Bitcoins to have value, we can create a new cryptocurrency, or just pick a new cryptocurrency from one of the thousands already out there.

It makes far more sense to claim that Wall Street has coopted gold. But even that is a stretch. Besides, when you make these claims it sounds antisemitic. Investment firms just try to invest other people's money the way they want. You make it sound like it is "the Jews" doing it, the Jewish people are just a small percent of all the people.

And how many countries signed up for Belt and Road.
    A lot have a Belt and Road project. Most of those have minor Belt and Road projects. Those with huge Belt and Road projects are almost all losing China money by refusing to pay. China is a terrible development investor.

Finally, the dollar having competition.
    The Dollar has always had competition.

It's easy to connect the dots.
    I am sure it is easy for you to connect the dots... Not to be cruel, but you do seem conspiracy minded.

Will bitcoin go up or down?
    Yes, that is part of the torture of Bitcoins. It is up and down, wildly fluctuating. Its highest price ever was 2.5 years ago, so it is down since then. It has been rising more than falling over the last few months. I don't even want to see what it is doing today.

Honestly, if you can connect the dots for Bitcoin prices in the future, you are either a genius, or a madman.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You did claim that, but I think you are just a conspiracy theorist.

Bitcoins only have value because we believe they have value. If we do not want Bitcoins to have value, we can create a new cryptocurrency, or just pick a new cryptocurrency from one of the thousands already out there.

It makes far more sense to claim that Wall Street has coopted gold. But even that is a stretch. Besides, when you make these claims it sounds antisemitic. Investment firms just try to invest other people's money the way they want. You make it sound like it is "the Jews" doing it, the Jewish people are just a small percent of all the people.

A lot have a Belt and Road project. Most of those have minor Belt and Road projects. Those with huge Belt and Road projects are almost all losing China money by refusing to pay. China is a terrible development investor.

The Dollar has always had competition.

I am sure it is easy for you to connect the dots... Not to be cruel, but you do seem conspiracy minded.

Yes, that is part of the torture of Bitcoins. It is up and down, wildly fluctuating. Its highest price ever was 2.5 years ago, so it is down since then. It has been rising more than falling over the last few months. I don't even want to see what it is doing today.

Honestly, if you can connect the dots for Bitcoin prices in the future, you are either a genius, or a madman.
    The adhoms say a lot. How long do you project the national debt reaching $50 trillion?

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How long do you project the national debt reaching $50 trillion?
    The internet says the government prediction is at 2033, but we have all seen how this plays out. Democrats always have realistic predictions that they do better than, so assuming Biden wins reelection, I would guess by around 2050. Republicans always have impossible predictions that they do far worse than, so if trump is elected, then around 2028 or 2029.

Hey remember when Clinton was President, and the debt clock needed to go backwards?

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I’m sure Scott Ritter says whatever Putin wants him to say.
    Do you have any evidence for your belief?
    The fact Scott Ritter isn’t in prison.
    Care to try to explain your logic?
    "Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it" - Andre Gide

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I corrected a lot of Walt's allegations in my previous post. As to Ritter being "creepy", I don't think so, but there's no question that he was charged and did time for at least playing along with the notion that he was sexually interacting with a minor.

There are plenty of whistleblowers that haven't been charged with this type of thing, some of whom have also covered the war in Ukraine. Canadian American journalist Eva Bartlett comes to mind, as well as former Navy petty officer Patrick Lancaster, who arrived in Ukraine in 2014 to cover the aftermath of the Maidan revolution and has been covering the conflict in Ukraine ever since.

That being said, I think that Scott Ritter is better than the aforementioned journalists when it comes to his expertise in military strategy.
    Daniel Ellsberg seems to be the most normal whistleblower to me. I love Chelsea Manning, Edward Snowden, and Julian Assange but we have to admit they're unique. Being different or outcast is something I enjoy. I refuse to be part of groupthink yet somehow business owners love me. They know to stay out of my way.
    Of the whistleblowers you've mentioned, the one that stands out to me is actually Daniel Ellsberg. He's the only one who wasn't imprisoned or had to flee the country of their birth to avoid the same. I'm glad at least he hasn't had to do either, he was a great guy. I just wish the other whistleblowers you said could have had the same freedom of movement.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of the whistleblowers you've mentioned, the one that stands out to me is actually Daniel Ellsberg. He's the only one who wasn't imprisoned or had to flee the country of their birth to avoid the same. I'm glad at least he hasn't had to do either, he was a great guy. I just wish the other whistleblowers you said could have had the same freedom of movement.
    Chris Hedges is holding on to the slimmest hope that Julian Assange extradition will be delayed or denied. Hedges said Assange will be piling on to all the embarrassments Biden is drowning in. Chris hedged his bet by saying Julian could also be on a plane to the states in 2 weeks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to goat For This Post:

Phoenyx (02-25-2024)

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Care to try to explain your logic?
    It needs no explanation, it’s evident. Why would any American move to Russia and how does he remain unmolested while other high profile Americans are arrested?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-05-2024)

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Actually, he was only convicted of most of the charges in the second instance.
    There was a plea bargain on the first violation, that allowed him to have the charges dismissed after 6 months probation. That gave them 6 months to try to find children in his life being sexually abused. If there was no viable charges, the charges would have been dismissed immediately. This was part of a plea bargain where he promised never to offend again.
    The charges were based solely on him falling for a police sting. No minors were involved.

Then there was the second violation. That is when he found the legal system was not so generous. He was going to keep offending, so giving another promise of not offending again is worthless.
    Again, his only "offense" was falling for yet another police sting. Again, no minors were involved. Furthermore, he testified that he didn't believe the police officer was actually a minor. He was right.

Ritter was attempting to meet with minors to have sex with them.
    I think the following excerpt from a New York Times article on him is important:
    According to court testimony, by 2004, when he stopped attending therapy, Ritter had made an almost daily habit of trying to meet adult women from the chat rooms, in cars or out-of-the-way places, so they could watch him masturbate. (Ritter maintains that he never engaged with an actual minor online, and there’s no evidence to suggest he did, beyond his interactions with undercover police officers in chat rooms for over-18-year-olds.) In 2007, he started using the webcam instead. He admits he couldn’t stop.

Source:
    Scott Ritter’s Other War | The New York Times

Ritter has admitted he had a problem in terms of his desire to be an exhibitionist with adult women, and this apparently meant that he would agree to this even if the adult in question pretended they were below 18. I think he would definitely agree that this was unwise, as it led to his incarceration. He also maintained that he never thought he was talking to any -actual- minors online, and the fact that I've seen no evidence that he was ever in chat rooms that -weren't- for over 18 year olds backs up the case that he was not looking for minors, but police officers posing as minors entrapped him.
    Last edited by Phoenyx; 03-05-2024 at 08:26 AM.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ritter was a weapons inspector who said there were no WMDs in Iraq. Ritter turned out to be correct but we invaded Iraq anyway. The judge thew the phony sex charges out.
    Blix was a weapon inspector who said there were no WMDs in Iraq... In fact, every weapons inspector agreed there were no WMDs in Iraq.
    Do you have evidence for that? I'd certainly like it to be true. Definitely doesn't make the Bush Jr. Administration look good.

Let's not forget that the weapons inspectors were forced by Bush to leave just before the war, because they kept saying there were no WMDs in Iraq.
    I suspect that Saddam Hussein's stopping weapons inspections had something to do with it. That being said, I've seen evidence that the weapons inspections were being used to gather intel on Iraq for a possible invasion if memory serves, so I can understand why Saddam decided to pull the plug on them.

And, that Bush refused to let the weapons inspectors back in when Iraq was invaded.
    I hadn't heard of this, but if true, it certainly doesn't look good on Bush Jr's administration. I suspect that like me, you don't have a very good view of said administration.