Thread: Quote Notifications... off....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,297 Times in 10,398 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 566 Times in 525 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Quote Notifications... off....

I have had a recent bout of complaints about the Quote Notifications. I have turned off the Notification, though you'll still be able to see the quotes in your UserCP.

If you hate this, tell me here in this thread...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-30-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

There are a few trolls whose only use of the forum us to harass everyone. You are right to turn off the quotes notification. These psychos won't give up.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,288 Times in 13,898 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,448 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds good
    If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, wed rather be alive and have the bad image.

Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I have had a recent bout of complaints about the Quote Notifications. I have turned off the Notification, though you'll still be able to see the quotes in your UserCP.

Once you put someone on ignore, there should be a way to prevent them from sending you notifications. They use that to harass you. Several days a week I get 10 notifications from people I have had on ignore for years.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,415 Times in 26,986 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,560 Times in 18,151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why do ads pop up when you do normal clicking of navigation moves now?

I’ll clink on a post link and instead an add comes up and I have to click out of the add and clink the post link yet again to get there

How much money did you get to allow them to do that now?

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,546 Times in 26,689 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't like this idea.
    I count on Quote notifications to let me know when people who count want to discuss something. I am probably going to miss posts from my friends and peers without notifications. The trolls quoting me are annoying, but it doesn't outweigh the utility of quote notification

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (11-30-2023), evince (12-02-2023), ThatOwlWoman (11-30-2023)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,041 Times in 7,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,183 Times in 1,099 Posts

I am all for stopping the childish back and forths that tend to blow up the threads, and turn them into- or hi-jack them into personal school yard sissy fights, by the drama queens and attention whores, that feel like they have to have the last word with every one of their political adversaries every comment.

I have seen threads go to 100's of pages of just two attention whores basically having another sissy fight!

Ain't got time for that!

But, I am sure there will be a lot of the same old attention whores, cutting and pasting their adversaries quotes forward anyway.

Some of the drama queens are relentless to get the last word in!

SO GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-30-2023 at 11:44 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-30-2023)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,297 Times in 10,398 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 566 Times in 525 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I don't like this idea.
    I count on Quote notifications to let me know when people who count want to discuss something. I am probably going to miss posts from my friends and peers without notifications. The trolls quoting me are annoying, but it doesn't outweigh the utility of quote notification
    Make a habit of hitting the Settings area and view them. Same place, the same notifications, it just won't appear in your notifications list...

Anyway, you can still see who quoted you and be able to tell if they are, according to your judgment, worthy of your attention.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Althea (11-30-2023), Guno צְבִי (11-30-2023), Jarod (11-30-2023)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

I didn't mind the notifications with the sole exceptions of showing a max of 10 AND in cases with certain posters is when they break up a long post in to 5 separate replies or do 5 replies to a single post.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,316 Times in 21,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,528 Times in 5,041 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hate it.

There was a long while where they did not work on my mobile device and I hated that also... I try not to complain, because I appreciate you, but since you asked.

18 U.S. Code 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Make a habit of hitting the Settings area and view them. Same place, the same notifications, it just won't appear in your notifications list...

Anyway, you can still see who quoted you and be able to tell if they are, according to your judgment, worthy of your attention.
    You may have found the right solution. Thank you.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 81,442 Times in 52,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,654 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, so that's what happened. I thought it was something I messed up on my account.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (11-30-2023), Doc Dutch (11-30-2023), Guno צְבִי (11-30-2023)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,992 Times in 16,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,425 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Excellent decision...
    That they accuse you of what they are doing themselves, every...single...time

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 67,399 Times in 51,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,502 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Blog Entries

I liked the notifications. What was the purpose of turning them off? Anyway for members to make them optional?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

New system is working. I don't see notifications on my page. Just looked at "Settings" to see the same stalkers I've ignored/banned still there--where I can stop bothering to look at.