Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 329

Thread: Why is there something rather than nothing?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Why is there something rather than nothing?

    Why is there something rather than nothing?

    Perhaps the most remarkable fact about the Universe is simply that it, and everything in it, exists. But what's the reason why?

    It's a question that almost everyone has wondered at some point: given all the things that exist around us, in this world and in the great Universe beyond, what's the reason for why it all exists?

    This is one of those questions, I’m sorry to say, that science not only doesn’t have a satisfactory answer for right now, but will probably never have one.

    There’s an enormous difference between a “why” question, which science isn’t really well-equipped to answer, with a “how” question, which is the bread-and-butter of what science is good for. If we were to ask the question of why we’re all here, there isn’t a scientific way to approach this question: we can’t formulate a testable hypothesis and derive what sorts of things we can go out and measure to answer that. Even if we determine the underlying rules that reality follows, there’s a limit to what we can derive from them: we can derive physical consequences that stem from those rules and some set of initial conditions, but we cannot derive any sort of purpose behind those consequences using the tools of science.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    evince (11-19-2023), Guno צְבִי (11-18-2023), ThatOwlWoman (11-18-2023)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    87,280
    Thanks
    143,983
    Thanked 81,470 Times in 52,062 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4,654 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I suppose that question is why humans invented gods. God(s) invented the universe for us to have a place to dwell, and invented us so that we could worship them.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Cypress (11-18-2023), evince (11-19-2023), Jarod (11-28-2023)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I suppose that question is why humans invented gods. God(s) invented the universe for us to have a place to dwell, and invented us so that we could worship them.
    I think you are right.
    But on the flip side, the origin of all reality doesn't have to be supernatural. That seems to me to be a subjective construct of human language. Spinoza, Einstein and others seemed to believe in a natural religion in which the god of nature was just inherent in the universe, it didn't
    reside outside of it in a supernatural state.
    Last edited by Cypress; 11-18-2023 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typo

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Jarod (11-28-2023), ThatOwlWoman (11-18-2023)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Newtonian physics does predict future experience; it shows us the law-like regularity of our sensory observations, but it doesn't actually explain anything. If an object accelerates downward at 32m/s2 in Earth's atmosphere, and if that is because of a law of gravity, that doesn't actually explain why those objects accelerate downward at 32 m/s2. We are simply observing the laws they follow. But why do they follow those laws? The laws of gravity simply allow us to predict future experiences based on past observation. Newtonian physics are therefore extraordinarily useful, but they don't have true explanatory power. It gives us a certain kind of knowledge, but not true understanding.

    This is not a position Newton himself would have disagreed with. He famously held that his law of gravitation showed how the lawful behaviour of orbital mechanics operated, but not why.

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 68 Times in 50 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

    Perhaps the most remarkable fact about the Universe is simply that it, and everything in it, exists. But what's the reason why?

    It's a question that almost everyone has wondered at some point: given all the things that exist around us, in this world and in the great Universe beyond, what's the reason for why it all exists?

    This is one of those questions, I’m sorry to say, that science not only doesn’t have a satisfactory answer for right now, but will probably never have one.

    There’s an enormous difference between a “why” question, which science isn’t really well-equipped to answer, with a “how” question, which is the bread-and-butter of what science is good for. If we were to ask the question of why we’re all here, there isn’t a scientific way to approach this question: we can’t formulate a testable hypothesis and derive what sorts of things we can go out and measure to answer that. Even if we determine the underlying rules that reality follows, there’s a limit to what we can derive from them: we can derive physical consequences that stem from those rules and some set of initial conditions, but we cannot derive any sort of purpose behind those consequences using the tools of science.
    Yaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn.

    Seeing your posts and OP's is like looking into the head of a junior high school kid who just discovered a philosophy book. BOOOOOOORING.

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 68 Times in 50 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I suppose that question is why humans invented gods. God(s) invented the universe for us to have a place to dwell, and invented us so that we could worship them.
    Like someone who heard via third party some Voltaire quotes. So insightful.

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    52,118
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    873
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spodumene View Post
    Yaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn.

    Seeing your posts and OP's is like looking into the head of a junior high school kid who just discovered a philosophy book. BOOOOOOORING.
    Cypress refuses to discuss his comments.

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Why is there something rather than nothing?

    Perhaps the most remarkable fact about the Universe is simply that it, and everything in it, exists. But what's the reason why?

    It's a question that almost everyone has wondered at some point: given all the things that exist around us, in this world and in the great Universe beyond, what's the reason for why it all exists?

    This is one of those questions, I’m sorry to say, that science not only doesn’t have a satisfactory answer for right now, but will probably never have one.

    There’s an enormous difference between a “why” question, which science isn’t really well-equipped to answer, with a “how” question, which is the bread-and-butter of what science is good for. If we were to ask the question of why we’re all here, there isn’t a scientific way to approach this question: we can’t formulate a testable hypothesis and derive what sorts of things we can go out and measure to answer that. Even if we determine the underlying rules that reality follows, there’s a limit to what we can derive from them: we can derive physical consequences that stem from those rules and some set of initial conditions, but we cannot derive any sort of purpose behind those consequences using the tools of science.

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry PhD View Post
    Yaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn.
    Seeing your posts and OP's is like looking into the head of a junior high school kid who just discovered a philosophy book. BOOOOOOORING.

    What you are mocking and denigrating is an article written by Ethan Seigel, a theoretical physicist.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (11-18-2023)

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry PhD View Post
    Like someone who heard via third party some Voltaire quotes. So insightful.
    ^^^ Believes his knowledge just randomly pops into his mind out of the blue, without taking any classes, reading articles, being influenced by books, watching podcasts.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (11-18-2023)

  15. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    52,118
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    873
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    ^^^ Believes his knowledge just randomly pops into his mind out of the blue, without taking any classes, reading articles, being influenced by books, watching podcasts.
    And you believe everything you say is the word of God.

  16. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry PhD View Post
    Like someone who heard via third party some Voltaire quotes. So insightful.
    ^^ Believes he is capable of truly independent and original visionary insights into science and philosophy,

    But I can prove Perry just plagiarizes and paraphrases things that he has read previously:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Indivisible and indestructible 'particles' might be a mental construct of our brains. In the 20th century, Einstein showed that matter and energy were fundamentally interchangeable.

    In the late 20th and 21st centuries, supposedly, string theory and it's offshoots supposedly call into question our classical notion of fundamental particles -- which may be just localized perturbations in energy fields.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It's not just string theory that envisions elementary particles as vibrations of energy.

    Quantum field theory somewhat similarly predicts that particles are localized vibrations in quantum fields that fill space.

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry PhD,...demeaning my post View Post
    Woah. That sounds SUPER INTELLECTUAL and really really cool.

    ...Two Weeks Later.... Perry PhD paraphrases and plagiarizes the insights from my post that he had previously mocked-->

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Guinefort View Post
    Very cool stuff! They helped develop the concept of matter being fluctuations of fields rather than explicit "items". Maybe there is no "there" there at the bottom of the stack. Maybe there are no "atoms" or "monads"...it's all just field fluctuations.

    Truly weird.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Guno צְבִי (11-18-2023), ThatOwlWoman (11-18-2023)

  18. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    23,086
    Thanks
    4,162
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,012 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 1,183 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Why is there something rather than nothing?

    Perhaps the most remarkable fact about the Universe is simply that it, and everything in it, exists. But what's the reason why?

    It's a question that almost everyone has wondered at some point: given all the things that exist around us, in this world and in the great Universe beyond, what's the reason for why it all exists?

    This is one of those questions, I’m sorry to say, that science not only doesn’t have a satisfactory answer for right now, but will probably never have one.

    There’s an enormous difference between a “why” question, which science isn’t really well-equipped to answer, with a “how” question, which is the bread-and-butter of what science is good for. If we were to ask the question of why we’re all here, there isn’t a scientific way to approach this question: we can’t formulate a testable hypothesis and derive what sorts of things we can go out and measure to answer that. Even if we determine the underlying rules that reality follows, there’s a limit to what we can derive from them: we can derive physical consequences that stem from those rules and some set of initial conditions, but we cannot derive any sort of purpose behind those consequences using the tools of science.
    I am content with just knowing that some things in life will never be understood.

    I think I can live my entire life here, with my little time I spend here on Earth, not knowing where the universe came from or what happens to me after I die!

    When things become too mind-boggling for me, I just concentrate on the things that I can improve upon and work towards, while I'm still here on Earth!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

    Cypress (11-18-2023)

  20. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    87,280
    Thanks
    143,983
    Thanked 81,470 Times in 52,062 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 4,654 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I am content with just knowing that some things in life will never be understood.

    I think I can live my entire life here, with my little time I spend here on Earth, not knowing where the universe came from or what happens to me after I die!

    When things become too mind-boggling for me, I just concentrate on the things that I can improve upon and work towards, while I'm still here on Earth!
    A sound philosophy. "Enjoy the ride, it won't last forever!"
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Geeko Sportivo (11-19-2023)

  22. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    57,161
    Thanks
    35,040
    Thanked 49,562 Times in 26,700 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,959 Times in 2,676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I am content with just knowing that some things in life will never be understood.

    I think I can live my entire life here, with my little time I spend here on Earth, not knowing where the universe came from or what happens to me after I die!

    When things become too mind-boggling for me, I just concentrate on the things that I can improve upon and work towards, while I'm still here on Earth!
    A wide attitude!

    In a certain sense, I think we learn more about nature, about ourselves, and about our lives by asking the right questions, not neccesarily just trying to get the answers right.

  23. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    22,950
    Thanks
    2,945
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 7,095 Posts
    Groans
    49
    Groaned 1,032 Times in 978 Posts

    Default

    There's something rather than nothing
    due only to very, very bad luck.

    Do we even have the ability to imagine
    the perfect peace
    that could only come with nonexistence?

    That's why I've always said it.

    Dying can be unpleasant and even ignominious.
    That's what we fear--the process of getting there.

    But being dead?
    Why would anyone dread that?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •