13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 69.23%
  • No

2 15.38%
  • Not sure

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you support universal medicare?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Do you support universal medicare?

Just wondering.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 911America4EVER View Post
    Just wondering.
    Absolutely!

One thing puzzles me. People say the US is the leader in technology, innovation, wealth, etc. but when it comes to universal health care those same folks say it can't be done, you can't trust the government, there isn't enough money and on and on with all sorts of excuses.

So, what's going on? Are the Germans and French and Italians and Swedes and Australians and Canadians and Norwegians and British and a host of other countries able to implement a system that the vast majority of their citizens like but the US is not capable of doing the same thing?
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

medicare is already universal.

Do you mean medicare for all not just those over a certain age ie old?

If so yes I do.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I liked Bush's plan for a four thousand dollar tax credit, and then surfing the internets to buy an individual policy. Unleash the markets!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I liked Bush's plan for a four thousand dollar tax credit, and then surfing the internets to buy an individual policy. Unleash the markets!
    Not bad but that is about 1/3 of a decent policy annual cost.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whomever View Post

That's if your healthy, and don't have cancer or diabetes.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

i am not sure

had a very close family member who had government health and government benefits, both money and decreased rent when this family member went to live on their own.....until they died

i don't know, never thought about it until this person died a few months ago, and this was not an old person, very close person

edit: had government money before they lived on their own

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,529 Times in 10,534 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I support using Medicare as a safety net to fill the doughnut hole with a premium payment structure that increases as you can afford more and finally removes you from the rolls when you can afford insurance in any other way. I do not support just making it universal period. Basically a safety net, but not a "government is here to care for you" hammock.

This can get the conversation back to where it needs to be... "Where is this massive cost increase coming from and what regulation must we pass in order to solve it?"
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Absolutely!

One thing puzzles me. People say the US is the leader in technology, innovation, wealth, etc. but when it comes to universal health care those same folks say it can't be done, you can't trust the government, there isn't enough money and on and on with all sorts of excuses.

So, what's going on? Are the Germans and French and Italians and Swedes and Australians and Canadians and Norwegians and British and a host of other countries able to implement a system that the vast majority of their citizens like but the US is not capable of doing the same thing?
    we have a lot more bottom feeders. keep that in mind.. I was just over in Ireland and my family there all have supplemental policies they pay about 3k for EACH.. on top of the universal system they have just as an FYI. Otherwise you get horrible coverage and wait times.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Absolutely!

They hate America.

Silly aint it?

they LOVE our military and then say the government cant do anything right.

As usual they are a huge ball of contridiction covered in lies

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

universal?, no.....does it offer me more than private insurance, does it cost me less than private insurance?....too many answers not available.....should we make medicare available to those who want it and can pay for it?.....yes......should we help those who are unable to help themselves?.....yes.....

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whomever View Post
    what is "decent".....my plan from BC/BS (80/20 split on copay) is better than the government option (70/30 split on copay) proposed by the House plan and costs $493 a month for a family with kids under 18.....does that mean the proposed government option isn't decent?......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 08-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,529 Times in 10,534 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    what is "decent".....my plan from BC/BS (80/20 split on copay) is better than the government option (70/30 split on copay) proposed by the House plan and costs $493 a month for a family with kids under 18.....does that mean the proposed government option isn't decent?......
    Yeah, that basic option soooooks like a giant plecostamus. Whoever is forced to pay for that is getting ripped.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

The public option isn't really designed for people like you. If you have a good plan, great. Keep it.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I support using Medicare as a safety net to fill the doughnut hole with a premium payment structure that increases as you can afford more and finally removes you from the rolls when you can afford insurance in any other way. I do not support just making it universal period. Basically a safety net, but not a "government is here to care for you" hammock.

This can get the conversation back to where it needs to be... "Where is this massive cost increase coming from and what regulation must we pass in order to solve it?"
    Universal medicare.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34