Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 662

Thread: Faith is not "without evidence" argument

  1. #301 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    1,662
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 250 Times in 201 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 26 Times in 26 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Awesome. When will they come out with a video about how the Third Reich work camps were beneficial to gays, mentally ill, genetically defective and, of course, the Jews?

    Obviously there were some benefits since a job is a job. They were protected by guards against bigots in the German population. They didn't have to serve in the military. Lots of good came out of it so it wasn't all bad like the Lefties keep claiming. /sarcasm
    Can you believe the nerve of that racist bigot William Allen?
    "If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value evidence."

  2. #302 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    132,868
    Thanks
    45,010
    Thanked 66,234 Times in 50,256 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,499 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMode View Post
    Can you believe the nerve of that racist bigot William Allen?
    Why do you think he's a racist bigot, 'Mode?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  3. #303 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    1,662
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 250 Times in 201 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 26 Times in 26 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Why do you think he's a racist bigot, 'Mode?
    If I, the messenger, am a bigot, he has to be, doesn't he?
    "If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value evidence."

  4. #304 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    132,868
    Thanks
    45,010
    Thanked 66,234 Times in 50,256 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,499 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMode View Post
    If I, the messenger, am a bigot, he has to be, doesn't he?
    No. Your error is claiming you're only a messenger when, in fact, you are the sender. You made this mistake several times and I've come to doubt both your judgement and veracity.

    Do you always answer questions with questions, 'Mode?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  5. #305 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    56,485
    Thanks
    34,483
    Thanked 48,657 Times in 26,194 Posts
    Groans
    21
    Groaned 2,942 Times in 2,663 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    No. I don't have an opinion. Atheism is the default position. If you claim to believe in Superman, it's your burden to prove it. You don't demand that I disprove it.
    Scientists all the time accept the possibility of things for which there is no direct tangible evidence:

    The multiverse
    Extraterrestrial life
    The many worlds hypothesis
    String theory
    Abiogenesis
    Cosmic inflation
    A cure for cancer
    The graviton

    The possibility of a superhero flying around in a red cape, or a pink polka-dotted leprechaun is easily Investigated by direct observation and inquiry.

    The possibility of a higher organizing principle outside the laws of physics underlying the cosmos is not that easy to test or investigate. But neither is the multiverse.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    PostmodernProphet (09-25-2023)

  7. #306 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    6,775
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Scientists all the time accept the possibility of things for which there is no direct tangible evidence:

    The multiverse
    Extraterrestrial life
    The many worlds hypothesis
    String theory
    Abiogenesis
    Cosmic inflation
    A cure for cancer
    The graviton

    The possibility of a superhero flying around in a red cape, or a pink polka-dotted leprechaun is easily Investigated by direct observation and inquiry.

    The possibility of a higher organizing principle outside the laws of physics underlying the cosmos is not that easy to test or investigate. But neither is the multiverse.
    Actually these things you list are merely HYPOTHESES, no one necessarily says that the multiverse is ipso facto true or that string theory is ipso facto true. The same CANNOT be said for believers in God. They claim it IS TRUE.

    Yet there is no evidence for it.

    So it is "belief" without evidence.

    In reality "atheism" IS the default position. Just as the null hypothesis is the default position on String Theory or the Multiverse of the Graviton. The mere POSSIBILITY of something does NOT equal it's reality. Yes, God MAY exist. No problem. But that is insufficient to BELIEVE God exists.

    You really should take some science classes to understand how the null and alternate hypotheses work.

  8. #307 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    23,053
    Thanks
    13,284
    Thanked 12,051 Times in 7,553 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,050 Times in 997 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    So, all your posts are blind guesses.
    Learn to read. I said they are not. None of them, except the ones I identify as guesses, are.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

  9. #308 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    23,053
    Thanks
    13,284
    Thanked 12,051 Times in 7,553 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,050 Times in 997 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMode View Post
    There is probably nothing that we can claim to be true with 100% certainty if you have a sufficiently creative brain, so it comes down to a level of certainty based on available evidence. The only current evidence of the existence of the God of the Bible, or any other gods, are writings by men.
    The "god of the Bible" is a cartoon. I am not talking about the god of the Bible. I am talking about gods...in response to something you said about "imaginary beings." And I have described what I mean by gods.




    "Men who, in that period of time and before, witnessed a world which they had no ability to scientifically explain. Men who killed and buried animals under buildings hoping to appease celestial beings and bring good luck. Their writings are the only current "evidence"."

    Correct.

    That being true, I don't see any reason to believe in gods.
    I do not care whether you believe in any gods or not. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY GODS. I DO NOT BELIEVE ANY GODS EXIST.

    I also do not believe there are no gods.

    But you mentioned gods as imaginary beings. And I asked a question about that statement.

    I am hoping you answer it at some point.


    All one has to do is apply the same requirements for belief in gods that you apply to anything else in life, to become a non-believer. You aren't going to read the Iliad and the Odyssey and start believing in those gods, right?
    I am a non-believer. I do not "believe" any gods exist...and I do not "believe" there are no gods."

    You, on the other hand, seem to be a believer. You seem to believe there are no gods.

    So...I ask again...using other words:

    So you see that your "belief" that the notion of gods is only about "imaginary beings"...is nothing more than a blind guess? Sorta like the blind guess theists make...except in the opposite direction?
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

  10. #309 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    23,053
    Thanks
    13,284
    Thanked 12,051 Times in 7,553 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,050 Times in 997 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscillator View Post
    This is a form of Atheism that most don't understand but actually live by on a daily basis. No one believes that there's an invisible 1" tall elephant that lives in their refrigerator just because someone told them it does. They say "The evidence is such that I see no reason to believe in this elephant". But when it comes to God they toss that kind of reasoning out. And demand that a lack of belief somehow be absolute and mysteriously "with evidence"...almost as if "proving a negative" is the goal.

    I have tried on this board to explain this form of inferential reasoning (it's pretty standard in the sciences as you note) but with limited luck.
    The idea that non-religious people live their lives as atheists on a daily basis is bullshit. That is probably why you are having such limited luck trying to sell that notion.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    Cypress (09-25-2023)

  12. #310 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    1,157
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 285 Times in 210 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    You are desperate, mostly because you are stupid and uneducated. You absolutely don't know what to do when your leftist indoctrination is challenged by critical reasoning. If you don't have your slave-masters readily available to tell you what to believe and how you are to respond, you're stuck staring off into space, panicking about what you're going to do now and calling for your mommy.

    Have you ever considered TRYING to have a little intellectual fortitude and just answering the questions? You know they're easy. Don't worry about getting permission, just give the honest, straightforward answers. It should be too easy. You could be done in under a minute.


    I can't force you to be honest, and I can't prevent you from EVADING, you undereducated leftist troll. All I can do is ask you easy, clear, direct, straightforward questions and let you broadcast to the board that you are stupid and dishonest. Hopefully guno and ThatOwlCoward will jump in and thank you for your EVASION.

    You've gotta do what you've gotta do. So get to it.


    Bad analogy. My questions are in direct response to your comment. You have no wiggle room.
    You asked me why I like killing babies. That's a strawman. And, yes, climate change is the scientific consensus.

    https://climate.nasa.gov/

  13. #311 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    1,157
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 285 Times in 210 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    Have you mocked Global Warming and Climate Change? Those Marxist religions are extremely oppressive, moreso that any other existing religion, being based on hatred and intolerance.

    Wait, maybe I'm wasting my time. Are you intelligent enough to recognize a religion? Maybe you aren't. Maybe you don't even know what religion is, just like you don't know what science is. Well, enough with the speculation, I'll just let you answer.
    Climate change is scientific consensus.

    https://climate.nasa.gov/

    Do you also deny evolution? Are you one of those creationist idiots who thinks that The Flintstones is historically accurate?

  14. #312 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    1,157
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 285 Times in 210 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Scientists all the time accept the possibility of things for which there is no direct tangible evidence:

    The multiverse
    Extraterrestrial life
    The many worlds hypothesis
    String theory
    Abiogenesis
    Cosmic inflation
    A cure for cancer
    The graviton

    The possibility of a superhero flying around in a red cape, or a pink polka-dotted leprechaun is easily Investigated by direct observation and inquiry.

    The possibility of a higher organizing principle outside the laws of physics underlying the cosmos is not that easy to test or investigate. But neither is the multiverse.
    1. Most scientist criticize the "multiverse" as unscientific for the very reason you mention. If you're arguing that climate science is in the same category, then you're an idiot.

  15. #313 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    1,662
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 250 Times in 201 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 26 Times in 26 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    No. Your error is claiming you're only a messenger when, in fact, you are the sender. You made this mistake several times and I've come to doubt both your judgement and veracity.

    Do you always answer questions with questions, 'Mode?
    Sigh. This is what you do repeatedly. You take the topic of discussion and continue to move, move and move again the goal post.

    My original position is that people are wrongly labeled for doing nothing more that stating truths. BidenPresident did it and you did it. People like both of you are part of the problem with the Left and the current divisive nature of politics today.
    "If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value evidence."

  16. #314 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    132,868
    Thanks
    45,010
    Thanked 66,234 Times in 50,256 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,499 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMode View Post
    Sigh. This is what you do repeatedly. You take the topic of discussion and continue to move, move and move again the goal post.

    My original position is that people are wrongly labeled for doing nothing more that stating truths. BidenPresident did it and you did it. People like both of you are part of the problem with the Left and the current divisive nature of politics today.
    Sigh. So you claim. When asked questions, you run, dodge and weave then complain that others are not answering your questions.

    Welcome to the human race, son. BP is an angry woman and wrong in her claim. The fact you are claiming she and I did exactly the same thing is an interesting insight to your thinking process. The fact you think I'm on "the Left", which puts you on "the Right", is also interesting.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  17. #315 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    22,538
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 9,318 Times in 6,947 Posts
    Groans
    47
    Groaned 983 Times in 932 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Sigh. So you claim. When asked questions, you run, dodge and weave then complain that others are not answering your questions.

    Welcome to the human race, son. BP is an angry woman and wrong in her claim. The fact you are claiming she and I did exactly the same thing is an interesting insight to your thinking process. The fact you think I'm on "the Left", which puts you on "the Right", is also interesting.
    Is this person including you as part of the "left," Oom?

    I assure you that ZenMode did not consider my opinion pertain to that claim.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2022, 07:33 PM
  2. Replies: 94
    Last Post: 07-15-2021, 08:05 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2020, 09:31 AM
  4. "Conway: Border wall debate 'a silly semantic argument"
    By archives in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2018, 04:18 PM
  5. "Values Voters" = Faith-Based "Challenged", Or Evangelical-ISIS???
    By Mr. Shaman in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •