Page 1 of 71 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1055

Thread: Scientism

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    58,131
    Thanks
    35,699
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

    Default Scientism

    Scientism: Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

    Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality.


    https://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/g...0and%20reality.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Doc Dutch (06-25-2023), evince (07-02-2023), Guno צְבִי (06-25-2023)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    53,727
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    873
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Scientism: Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

    Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality.


    https://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/g...0and%20reality.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
    Agree. Even some philosophers have been critical of scientism.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    53,727
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    873
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default SIX SIGNS OF SCIENTISM

    1. Using the words “science,” “scientific,” “scientifically,” “scientist,” etc.,
    honorifically, as generic terms of epistemic praise.
    2. Adopting the manners, the trappings, the technical terminology, etc., of the
    sciences, irrespective of their real usefulness.
    3. A preoccupation with demarcation, i.e., with drawing a sharp line between
    genuine science, the real thing, and “pseudo-scientific” imposters.
    4. A corresponding preoccupation with identifying the “scientific method,”
    presumed to explain how the sciences have been so successful.
    5. Looking to the sciences for answers to questions beyond their scope.
    6. Denying or denigrating the legitimacy or the worth of other kinds of inquiry
    besides the scientific, or the value of human activities other than inquiry, such as
    poetry or art.

    https://philpapers.org/archive/HAASSO.pdf

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    58,131
    Thanks
    35,699
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

    Default

    On a day to day basis, science plays almost no role in the cultivation of human knowledge and wisdom.
    Science is obviously critical to grasping the mechanistic properties of natural phenomena.
    But very few people understand or know particle physics, higher mathematics, quantum electrodynamics, and they don't really need it in the aquisition of human wisdom, knowledge, and veracity.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Doc Dutch (06-25-2023), Guno צְבִי (06-25-2023)

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    71,302
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 15,095 Times in 12,622 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Scientism: A well worn WOKE manipulation tactic, using sciency language to push their religion, to push for UTOPIA. .
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

    DARK AGES SUCK!

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    7,863
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

    Default

    And what about the things science can’t explain?

    Do you just ignore them?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkerpeach For This Post:

    Matt Dillon (07-07-2023)

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    53,727
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    873
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    And what about the things science can’t explain?

    Do you just ignore them?
    Most of the world has nothing to do with science.

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    71,302
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 15,095 Times in 12,622 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Most of the world has nothing to do with science.
    As with most religions WOKE has a massive animosity towards science, but that certainly has not stopped them from wrapping their religion in sciency jargon when they see manipulative profit in it.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

    DARK AGES SUCK!

  12. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    58,131
    Thanks
    35,699
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    And what about the things science can’t explain?

    Do you just ignore them?
    That's the wrong question.

    Most of human experience, knowledge, and wisdom doesn't depend on science at all.

    In everyday life, the average person couldn't give a rats ass about quarks, Higgs fields, or string theory. There are no mathmatical equations or lab experiments which are going to define freedom, equality, justice, fairness, humility, moral virtue. That's why we need intuition, contemplation, and imagination as much as we need particle accelerators and differential equations.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (06-26-2023)

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    6,716
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality.
    You should have immediately seen the huge problem with this. Science never declares truth. That's what religions do. Science never confirms anything. Science merely keeps track of what falsifiable claims have not yet been shown to be false. Science says nothing about anything unfalsifiable, and that includes unverifiable speculation about the unobserved past.

    Also, math captures most philosophical concepts that are not religious in nature. None of that needs to be discarded. Logic never needs to be discarded.

    Given the definition you provided, "scientism" is not a thing. It's more of a pretense to discount via cherry-picking whatever one wants to discount.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    137,722
    Thanks
    47,215
    Thanked 69,328 Times in 52,382 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Scientism: Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

    Scientism is the opinion that science and the scientific method are the best or only way to render truth about the world and reality.

    https://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/g...0and%20reality.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
    Seems rather limiting to Joe Friday's "Just the facts, ma'am" approach to life. Facts are important and form a foundation for our understanding of reality, but there's more to life than "just the facts, ma'am".

    Anyone who knows how great a hot shower feels or a cold beer are on a hot day can't put those experiences into "just the facts, ma'am".
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    137,722
    Thanks
    47,215
    Thanked 69,328 Times in 52,382 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    On a day to day basis, science plays almost no role in the cultivation of human knowledge and wisdom.
    Science is obviously critical to grasping the mechanistic properties of natural phenomena.


    But very few people understand or know particle physics, higher mathematics, quantum electrodynamics, and they don't really need it in the aquisition of human wisdom, knowledge, and veracity.
    Disagreed. We're using applied science just to put these words into cyberspace. I don't know how to build a fucking computer, much less the IC chip, but I use the science. Same for driving cars, watching TV and washing clothes. Science plays an important part in many aspects of our lives second by second. At least for most Americans. Hermits in caves, not so much.

    Agreed about the common lack of understanding of higher sciences, but we can use it to acquire other truths as you pointed out.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

    Cypress (06-25-2023)

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    137,722
    Thanks
    47,215
    Thanked 69,328 Times in 52,382 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    And what about the things science can’t explain?

    Do you just ignore them?
    Science can't explain a lot of things, but it's a good foundation for people to build upon. Example; most mothers know the difference between the symptoms of a cold and the symptoms of the flu. In one case she keeps the kid at home and in the other case she goes to the doctor. That learning is science-based. Specifically medically science-based. Why she wants to keep her kids safe and healthy can't be put into a math formula.

    IMO, that's not what he's saying. No we can't and shouldn't ignore them, but, it's not a zero-sum game where you either understand science or love your kids. Sane people do both.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

    "Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

  19. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    7,863
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Most of the world has nothing to do with science.

    Not according to those who practice scientism

  20. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    7,863
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Science can't explain a lot of things, but it's a good foundation for people to build upon. Example; most mothers know the difference between the symptoms of a cold and the symptoms of the flu. In one case she keeps the kid at home and in the other case she goes to the doctor. That learning is science-based. Specifically medically science-based. Why she wants to keep her kids safe and healthy can't be put into a math formula.

    IMO, that's not what he's saying. No we can't and shouldn't ignore them, but, it's not a zero-sum game where you either understand science or love your kids. Sane people do both.
    Actually nothing in science contradicts the Bible in fact it helps us understand the Bible better with the more scientific knowledge we gain

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-31-2023, 03:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •