Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric car drives for 100 hours non-stop. MAGAs panties getting moist.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,169 Times in 5,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    You would need more coal mines open to produce enough power to charge all those batteries
    The energy content of total annual coal consumption and production generally declined since 2005 because of decreases in demand for coal, and because of increases in the share of lower heat content coal use by the electric power sector. In 2021, coal consumption was about 11% of U.S. energy consumption.

Poor TinyPeach has another one on his bullshit lies exposed. Go change your wet panties, TinyPeach. The EV craze is making you all butthurt again.
    So what kind of EV are you buying this year, TinyPeach?
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

Into the Night (06-05-2023)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

6. The Following User Groans At Lionfish For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (06-03-2023)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Get rid of your computer and cell phone. They use the same metals. Of course, we all have many, many batteries around the house.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (06-03-2023)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,173 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Electric is the future of the auto industry.
    All the major oil companies are now investing in developing Blue Hydrogen.

So, I expect that one to be the big push!

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    When are all the roads going to be Wireless?
    Interstates within 15 years, at least in the cities.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Interstates within 15 years, at least in the cities.
    Exciting times. Don't you just love new technology?
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Jarod (06-03-2023)

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Exciting times. Don't you just love new technology?
    Some are very afraid of change.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 74 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Electric car drives for 100 hours non-stop on futuristic road
    The 100-hour drive of a Toyota RAV4 is a new world record, startup says
    An electric car has driven nearly 2,000km (1,250 miles) without stopping to charge as part of a demonstration of an electric road that wirelessly charges vehicles as they drive.
    Israeli startup Electreon claims the achievement is a new world record for the longest time and distance ever driven non-stop by a passenger electric vehicle (EV), taking just over 100 hours to cover 1,942 kilometres.
    The stunt was completed using a specially adapted Toyota RAV4, which drove in circles around a track fitted with Electreon’s Wireless Electric Road technology.
    The startup claims its tech can solve some of the fundamental challenges facing widespread EV adoption, including range anxiety, slow charge times and battery size.
    “The objective of this 100-hour non-stop driving rally was to demonstrate the unlimited technical potential of Wireless Electric Road technology to power EVs to drive indefinitely with a minimal battery,” said Reuven Rivlin, Electreon’s honorary president.
    “This is yet another clear signal that our Wireless Electric Road technology is ready for large-scale commercial projects globally.”
    Electric car range set to double with first production of breakthrough battery
    The five-day drive involved 56 different drivers, with the vehicle only pausing momentarily to switch between drivers.
    Electreon plans to develop its wireless charging technology for vehicles alongside Toyota, having signed an agreement with the Japanese automotive giant in March.
    “This partnership will make wireless charging accessible to a diverse and wide range of drivers, and will demonstrate the many benefits of wireless charging as a cost-effective, clean solution for charging EVs, as well as a catalyst in reducing EVs’ carbon footprint,” Electreon chief executive Oren Ezer said at the time.
    WHy are you obsessed with people's panties?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gondwanaland For This Post:

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Some are very afraid of change.
    Fuck 'em if they can't take a woke.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Jarod (06-03-2023)

20. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 74 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the number of charging ports in America more than doubled from 2018 to 2022.

A wide range of companies, including Walmart, Shell, Subway, and Mercedes-Benz, are getting into the market. And Ford recently announced that its cars will be compatible with Tesla’s expansive charging network starting in 2025.

In the next few years, as more new cars become battery-powered, millions of Americans are projected to be driving electric for the first time. They’ll be getting used to a new technology that is inherently different than what they’ve known for decades. Thus far, public EV chargers have largely served early adopters, committed environmentalists, and a small subset of commuters. Now that EVs are becoming practical, high-range family cars, their drivers aren’t going to accept compromises or risks when they’re taking kids to school or trying to get to work on time. They’ll expect the same level of convenience they get now.
    Read: EVs make parking even more annoying
    In short: Americans will need more public chargers if the goal of drastically reducing carbon emissions from cars is to succeed. Right now, drivers who want to do that may be nervously eyeing the charging networks in their areas or along the way to places they want to travel, wondering if they’ll be able to do everything in these new cars that they’ve always done.
    “I think [public charging] is the thing that is, right now, in the way of mass adoption,” Ferro told me. “Five years ago, it was range. Now the infrastructure is deterring those people who are just not gung ho about getting an EV.”
    I’ve seen this growth, and its continued challenges, firsthand over a decade of testing and writing about cars. Five years ago, my first experience in the Chevrolet Bolt EV involved spending the better part of a day looking for a way to charge up in New York; now four public plugs are within walking distance of my Brooklyn apartment.
    But I still often have to wait for those plugs to open up, or deal with gas-car drivers who park there instead. Driving out of town in any EV besides a Tesla (the company’s proprietary Superchargers are regarded as the most abundant, easiest-to-use plugs out there) still requires planning—and a little luck. I might encounter public charging stations with no open stalls, broken chargers, proprietary payment apps I don’t have, or charging speeds too slow to be useful. On top of that, chargers simply remain too rare.
    Help is on the way from the Biden administration’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. Over the next few years, the government will dole out $7.5 billion in grants for EV charging, a massive, multibillion-dollar gift to the private sector that comes with strict requirements for reliability, user interaction, and accessibility.
    Success will look like a national network of chargers that “work every time” and “are able to be used by any driver, any EV, anywhere,” Gabe Klein, the executive director of the Department of Energy’s Joint Office of Energy and Transportation, told me. That office just announced a coalition of national labs, charging providers, and car companies (including Tesla) to work on making charging more reliable and seamless.

And how many of them actually work?

https://www.autonews.com/mobility-re...rica-dont-work
    Why so many electric car chargers in America don't work
    Parts break, information screens freeze, payment systems malfunction. Copper thieves steal the cords. Vandals damage charging plugs. In the U.S., nascent networks mean that if the machines at one station aren’t working, there may not be another nearby.

In a nondescript office park in San Jose, Calif., ChargePoint Holdings Inc. runs a torture lab of sorts. It’s here that the operator of the U.S.’s largest network of EV chargers subjects its products to extreme temperatures and rain, and puts them through simulated dust storms and earthquakes. Pulley systems tug on charging cords over and over, mimicking years of use, and a different device slams a steel ball against chargers to see if they’ll crack. Every year, the lab tests about 3,300 chargers, which then can’t be deployed in the wild.

“You take this thing that’s expensive, and you basically burn it up,” ChargePoint CEO Pasquale Romano said, as a row of machines nearby simulated plugging and unplugging the chargers’ connectors.

ChargePoint’s process is geared at fixing one of the EV transition’s most pressing problems: public charging stations that often don’t work. Parts break, information screens freeze, payment systems malfunction. Copper thieves steal the cords. Vandals damage charging plugs or, in one infamous instance, stuff them with ground meat. In the U.S., nascent networks mean that if the machines at one station aren’t working, there may not be another nearby.

A decade ago, early EV adopters were willing to put up with unreliable public chargers. Now, however, the problem threatens President Joe Biden’s EV ambitions. Biden has made electric cars a cornerstone of his climate and economic policies, devoting $5 billion to the buildout of a charging network along major roads and $2.5 billion to charging within communities. The goal is convincing every American driver to go electric. But it’s a leap of faith for many — one they may not be willing to make if they don’t trust that public chargers will work.

“We’re really at the point right now where we have to address these issues before we get further along in EV adoption,” said Brent Gruber, executive director of global automotive research for J.D. Power. “The mindset is changing, from the early adopters who expected some bumps in the road, to the mainstream consumer who is not willing to overlook those problems.”

J.D. Power regularly surveys EV drivers in the U.S. about their charging experiences, working in collaboration with the PlugShare app that many drivers use to locate stations. Two years ago, 14.5 percent of respondents said they’d been unable to charge at a public station. Now it’s 21.4 percent. “It’s definitely heading in the wrong direction,” Gruber said.

It’s not just a problem in the U.S. Zapmap Ltd., whose app tracks live data from about 70 percent of public chargers in the U.K., found last year that 6 percent were out of service at any given moment. The company’s annual EV charging survey identified reliability as the top concern for EV drivers in the country. A Boston Consulting Group survey released this year found reliability to be the main criteria drivers in China use when choosing a public charging station, ranking it above speed, ease of use and price.

There isn’t a single reason for EV charger failures. Some of the problems, particularly with older machines, can be chalked up to a new technology going through the usual learning curve of improvements, all while sitting outside, exposed to the weather. There have been cycles of needed upgrades, such as replacing modems to deal with 5G wireless internet service. The myriad networks, retail outlets and garage owners who own the machines don’t always stay on top of maintenance. And chargers must communicate with a rapidly expanding variety of cars.

To that end, the precise scope of the problem isn’t known. EV drivers face a complex landscape of competing charging companies, each with its own stations and app, and there is no central repository of data on station performance. One widely cited 2022 study of fast-charging stations in the San Francisco Bay Area (excluding Tesla Inc.’s Superchargers), found that about 25 percent of the 657 plugs weren’t working. While J.D. Power doesn’t disclose reliability rankings, Gruber said the worst-performing charging company leaves drivers unable to plug in about 39 percent of the time.

“With public charging, it’s a bit of the wild, wild West,” he said.
    https://insideevs.com/news/652195/ev...liability-low/

EV Charging Stations In The US Are Plagued By Reliability Issues: Study
    At least 1 in 5 charging attempts have failed last year.

Charging your EV at public stations throughout the United States can sometimes be challenging, to say the least, with stalls that are out of order, software hiccups, and occasional vandalism rendering chargers useless. To put things into perspective, we now have fresh data that paints a dreary picture of the reliability of American public EV charging.

According to J.D. Power’s Electric Vehicle Experience Public Charging Study, quoted by Automotive News, the number of failed charging attempts grew from 15 percent in the first quarter of 2021 to more than 21 percent by the third quarter of 2022. At worst, almost 2 in 5 visits to chargers – or 39% – were unsuccessful last year.

The study included more than 26,500 charging attempts at Level 2 and Level 3 chargers in all 50 states, with one operator having almost no charger downtime at all, with a fail rate of just 3%. However, J.D. Power did not disclose which networks had the best and worst reliability records.

Out of all the responders to the study who couldn’t charge their vehicles last year, more than three-quarters said that they couldn’t top-up their batteries because the charger was out of service, with other major reasons for failed charging attempts being software glitches, payment processing errors, and vandalism.

Back in 2022, Tesla’s Destination Charger and Supercharger earned the top spots on J.D. Power’s study, with the American EV maker scoring above the segment average in both categories. The scoreboard for this year’s study hasn't been released yet, but be sure to check back on InsideEVs regularly, as we’ll post an article as soon as the complete data becomes available from J.D. Power.

Unfortunately, the reality of charging an EV anywhere in the world, not just in the United States, is sometimes a bit of a gamble, with many owners having trouble when charging on-route. Sometimes, the drivers aren’t particularly well educated about their EVs and don’t even know what connector they need to top-up, sometimes the charger appears to be working but it doesn’t actually charge the batteries, and sometimes the stalls are simply out of order.

However, this is starting to change, with more and more educational campaigns from EV brands, some repair and upgrade programs from charging operators, and the government’s plan to offer up to $7.5 billion in subsidies for companies that can expand the nation’s charging infrastructure to 500,000 stalls by 2030.

What’s your take on this study: do you think it reflects the reality of owning an EV? Let us know in the comments below.
    That's not even going into where the fuck is this electricity coming from (hint: largely coal and natural gas), and how the fuck is the current energy grid going to handle a huge influx of such charging (hint: it can't)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gondwanaland For This Post:

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

The stunt was completed using a specially adapted Toyota RAV4, which drove in circles around a track fitted with Electreon’s Wireless Electric Road technology.
    ROFL......typical lib'rul....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (06-05-2023), TOP (06-04-2023)

24. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tesla, the world’s largest electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer, has spent the last several months making it a lot cheaper to buy an electric car.*
    The company had cut prices six times this year before raising some very slightly, allowing shoppers to buy a Tesla for as low as $40,240 as of late May. For comparison, the average cost of a new vehicle in the U.S. was about $48,000, according to the latest data available in May.
    According to CBC News, those moves could completely change the car industry. Don Pittis, a business columnist for the outlet, wrote that these price cuts may indicate a “global transformation in the automotive sector.”
    “Cutthroat pricing by Tesla may signal [a] death blow to internal combustion vehicles,” Pittis wrote.
    On average, EVs are more expensive to manufacture than vehicles with combustion engines, meaning they typically cost more. But as EV demand grows, automakers are rushing to lower production costs. Innovations in production and technology will allow manufacturers to sell electric cars at lower prices, making them more accessible.
    Tesla’s price cuts could signal a price war between EVs and combustion engine vehicles, though CEO Elon Musk has denied this. Nonetheless, as EVs become cheaper, manufacturers will compete to meet the growing demand by expanding their EV offerings.*
    Tesla’s first round of 2023 cuts took place in January and allowed some Tesla vehicles to qualify for a federal EV tax credit. The price reductions are dramatic and unprecedented. According to Bloomberg transportation specialist Tom Randall, “No carmaker has made such a dramatic reduction to a high-volume vehicle in the modern age of the automobile.”*
    Though prices have declined in recent months, new cars are still historically expensive. Dramatic price cuts like those at Tesla provide buyers with cheaper options in a market flooded with expensive vehicles. These price cuts also put pressure on other manufacturers to lower their prices and offer more EVs to compete with Tesla’s offerings.*
    As prices fall and demand drives up the supply of EVs, it will become easier and easier for drivers to switch to an EV.