Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric car drives for 100 hours non-stop. MAGAs panties getting moist.

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,325 Times in 8,486 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    When are 20% going to be wireless ?
    99% of all long trips at least partly involve less than 1% of roads, so we could do it all with just 1% of roads: basically the highways.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."
    trump is a child rapist. We all know it.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,669 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    There's no comparison between fiber optic cable installation and trying to do what this thread's OP proposes. To install an induction charging system on a highway with presumably more than one vehicle using it is a far more complex problem.

Think of it this way:

The cable laid in the roadbed is the primary of a transformer. You must use AC power to inductively couple the cable's electrical current to the vehicle for charging.

Each vehicle acts as the secondary of the transformer.

Because the cable would run down the length of the road, you would have to account for line losses in voltage due to the resistance in the cable. This means you have to periodically install buck boost transformers along the cable to bring the voltage back up to the one being used for charging.

Next, there's the problem of the amperage being drawn by charging changing dramatically with the number of cars doing so along the cable. More cars charging, more amperage, bigger cable needed.

To make it as effective as possible, you also need to get as many turns in the cable making it a coil, as possible. That gives you the strongest electric force in coupling. You might also add an iron core to the coil to increase this more. All of that makes the installation more complex, expensive and bulky.

The bottom line here is, that while this can be done experimentally on a limited length of track using a single vehicle, it would be impossibly difficult and expensive to do down miles of highway where the number of vehicles charging could vary wildly.
    Indeed and just imagine the number of capacitors needed to keep the power factor close to one.

The ideal power factor of one has never been reached.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Into the Night (06-05-2023)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QP! View Post
    That you did not know that Car companies have been using oval tracks for decades to test their new car mileage, tire life, and other factors is just another in a long list of your ignorance.

You truly are stupid to all things life, until i explain them to you.
    lol.....you are an idiot and prove it here daily......the issue isn't that companies use oval tracks.......the issue is that some fuckwit was stupid enough to start a thread bragging EV could now drive a hundred hours going around in circles on a road that will never be built and another fuckwit was stupid enough to not realize it........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Think of electric bikes where you can peddle for periods to ease the load on the battery and extend its life.
    proof of concept, EV are great if you provide something else to power them when they suck....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

8. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,290 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 245 Times in 239 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol.....you are an idiot and prove it here daily......the issue isn't that companies use oval tracks.......the issue is that some fuckwit was stupid enough to start a thread bragging EV could now drive a hundred hours going around in circles on a road that will never be built and another fuckwit was stupid enough to not realize it........
    The problem you have is that you are both an idiot and liar and we do not need to wait for any time period to prove it.

YOu are FLAT OUT LYING about the OP and what the TS said in it because the truth does not serve you. If you stick to the truth and fact you know you have nothing. The only thing the TS did was post the article noting a scientific breakthrough, noting that alone would rustle republicunts, and it did.

And do not pretend now that you had any clue that your attempt to mock the oval track means you know that is the norm of how things are done. We are not going to let you backpedal on that one. You stupidly thought you had a gotcha point until i educated you, you then googled and learned i was right, AGAIN. As ALWAYS.

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,290 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 245 Times in 239 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    proof of concept, EV are great if you provide something else to power them when they suck....
    Did this sound like an intelligent reply in your head? As it is not. You should probably get someone smarter than you to proof your posts before submitting them. Maybe someone in Grade 3.

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

That would be freaking cool. It would be awesome to be able to travel about the USA without ever having to stop for fuel...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oval track
    I wasn't making fun of the oval track, fuckwit.....I was mocking the incredibly stupid lib'ruls who were dumb enough to fall for it........watch the silly cunt back track and pretend he never believed EV could really drive 100 hours non stop......

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,122 Times in 11,695 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Electric car drives for 100 hours non-stop on futuristic road
    The 100-hour drive of a Toyota RAV4 is a new world record, startup says
    An electric car has driven nearly 2,000km (1,250 miles) without stopping to charge as part of a demonstration of an electric road that wirelessly charges vehicles as they drive.
    Israeli startup Electreon claims the achievement is a new world record for the longest time and distance ever driven non-stop by a passenger electric vehicle (EV), taking just over 100 hours to cover 1,942 kilometres.
    The stunt was completed using a specially adapted Toyota RAV4, which drove in circles around a track fitted with Electreon’s Wireless Electric Road technology.
    The startup claims its tech can solve some of the fundamental challenges facing widespread EV adoption, including range anxiety, slow charge times and battery size.
    “The objective of this 100-hour non-stop driving rally was to demonstrate the unlimited technical potential of Wireless Electric Road technology to power EVs to drive indefinitely with a minimal battery,” said Reuven Rivlin, Electreon’s honorary president.
    “This is yet another clear signal that our Wireless Electric Road technology is ready for large-scale commercial projects globally.”
    Electric car range set to double with first production of breakthrough battery
    The five-day drive involved 56 different drivers, with the vehicle only pausing momentarily to switch between drivers.
    Electreon plans to develop its wireless charging technology for vehicles alongside Toyota, having signed an agreement with the Japanese automotive giant in March.
    “This partnership will make wireless charging accessible to a diverse and wide range of drivers, and will demonstrate the many benefits of wireless charging as a cost-effective, clean solution for charging EVs, as well as a catalyst in reducing EVs’ carbon footprint,” Electreon chief executive Oren Ezer said at the time.
    Whoopie. So a car drove on a specially constructed circular track for 100 hours without recharging. Meh.

The cost of this on regular roadways is outlandish.

Carbon isn't a 'footprint'. It's a fuel.
    Carbon dioxide isn't carbon.
    Carbon dioxide is incapable of warming the Earth (or any other planet). You cannot create energy out of nothing. No gas or vapor can warm the Earth.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the number of charging ports in America more than doubled from 2018 to 2022.

A wide range of companies, including Walmart, Shell, Subway, and Mercedes-Benz, are getting into the market. And Ford recently announced that its cars will be compatible with Tesla’s expansive charging network starting in 2025.

In the next few years, as more new cars become battery-powered, millions of Americans are projected to be driving electric for the first time. They’ll be getting used to a new technology that is inherently different than what they’ve known for decades. Thus far, public EV chargers have largely served early adopters, committed environmentalists, and a small subset of commuters. Now that EVs are becoming practical, high-range family cars, their drivers aren’t going to accept compromises or risks when they’re taking kids to school or trying to get to work on time. They’ll expect the same level of convenience they get now.
    Read: EVs make parking even more annoying
    In short: Americans will need more public chargers if the goal of drastically reducing carbon emissions from cars is to succeed. Right now, drivers who want to do that may be nervously eyeing the charging networks in their areas or along the way to places they want to travel, wondering if they’ll be able to do everything in these new cars that they’ve always done.
    “I think [public charging] is the thing that is, right now, in the way of mass adoption,” Ferro told me. “Five years ago, it was range. Now the infrastructure is deterring those people who are just not gung ho about getting an EV.”
    I’ve seen this growth, and its continued challenges, firsthand over a decade of testing and writing about cars. Five years ago, my first experience in the Chevrolet Bolt EV involved spending the better part of a day looking for a way to charge up in New York; now four public plugs are within walking distance of my Brooklyn apartment.
    But I still often have to wait for those plugs to open up, or deal with gas-car drivers who park there instead. Driving out of town in any EV besides a Tesla (the company’s proprietary Superchargers are regarded as the most abundant, easiest-to-use plugs out there) still requires planning—and a little luck. I might encounter public charging stations with no open stalls, broken chargers, proprietary payment apps I don’t have, or charging speeds too slow to be useful. On top of that, chargers simply remain too rare.
    Help is on the way from the Biden administration’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. Over the next few years, the government will dole out $7.5 billion in grants for EV charging, a massive, multibillion-dollar gift to the private sector that comes with strict requirements for reliability, user interaction, and accessibility.
    Success will look like a national network of chargers that “work every time” and “are able to be used by any driver, any EV, anywhere,” Gabe Klein, the executive director of the Department of Energy’s Joint Office of Energy and Transportation, told me. That office just announced a coalition of national labs, charging providers, and car companies (including Tesla) to work on making charging more reliable and seamless.
    ...and each one requires a long time to recharge the car.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Electric is the future of the auto industry.
    You've chanted this before. Less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs. Ford just introduced a new V8 gasoline engine (over 500hp!) to be used in trucks and larger cars.

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    When are all the roads going to be Wireless?
    When pink unicorns dance in the sky.

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Imagine highways that charges cars and trucks while they drive on it. It would require only a small percent of the roadways to be modified, but would charge just about all long trip vehicles.
    Imagine paying for them (including the power used by them). Imagine the horror maintaining these roads is going to be.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

TOP (06-05-2023)

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,653 Times in 16,582 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    When pink unicorns dance in the sky.
    I know, right?
    That they accuse you of what they are doing themselves, every...single...time

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

20. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,829 Times in 17,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Whoopie. So a car drove on a specially constructed circular track for 100 hours without recharging. Meh.

The cost of this on regular roadways is outlandish.

Carbon isn't a 'footprint'. It's a fuel.
    Carbon dioxide isn't carbon.
    Carbon dioxide is incapable of warming the Earth (or any other planet). You cannot create energy out of nothing. No gas or vapor can warm the Earth.
    The same track they test ICEs and tires on. A track is a track. Solar is not nothing, neither is wind.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

QP! (06-05-2023)