Thread: Newsom’s vow to appoint a Black woman to the Senate

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Newsom’s vow to appoint a Black woman to the Senate looms large amid Feinstein health concerns

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/29/polit...ats/index.html

Blatant racial and sexual discrimination.
    More racist tripe
    Lock Him Up

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-02-2023)

3. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 247 Times in 241 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    We're on a topic, ad nauseum, that doesn't apply to my life, and which doesn't particularly interest me..

I was specifically speaking of Newsom saying in advance, stupidly in my view, that he was intent on choosing a black woman.

You think that's OK. I don't. People see things differently.
    No you are just being dishonesty and i do not know why.

We ARE NOT discussing Newsome pick and my view or your view of it being oK. We have NEVER engaged in that discussion.

What we ARE discussing is you stated a view that xsaid you believe there is such a thing as a singular qualified person for a job and i questioned how and why you could think that as it does not follow any logic.

in every attempt to defend or explain your position you have instead went off to tangents to misrepresent as i think you realize you simply cannot defend it and instead of owning you want to deflect.

This 'singular best person' for the job is a political myth used to agitate people who are gullible. There will always be, especially for the SC or any Political position numerous people in many different groups, who will have the qualifications ALL OF WHICH are fine to choose. It will then come down to subjective criteria (do you prefer a SC Justice who worked as a Defense attorney or a prosecutor) which you may prefer one aspect and i may prefer another. What that does not mean is that the person picked was not qualified just because you would prefer it was the other person.

It is a lie. You seemingly have bought and internalized the lie and do not want to reflect on it and thus you deflect.

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Ugh... Why do they have to pander? Just say you are going to appoint the "most qualified" then appoint a black woman and defend your pick. Stop announcing that you are just using vaginas and melanin as qualifications for such an important job.
    He was pandering because he was getting recalled. At the end of the day the recall wasn't close but for a period of time polls showed voters wanted him out so he was taking no chances. Black people make up a small percentage of California but are the most loyal Democratic voting block (especially black women) so he was trying to shore up that base.

Depending on your viewpoint what's funny is he likely had two candidates in mind when making this pledge, Karen Bass and Barbara Lee. Karen Bass is now Mayor of LA so she's out and Barbara Lee is running for the Senate seat so giving her the seat now would give her a huge advantage as an incumbent (and Newsom especially doesn't want to do that considering Pelosi has endorsed Adam Schiff for the seat). So now the name being thrown around is Oprah Winfrey.

But you are correct, the pandering pledges do a disservice to the people chosen.

5. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Sessions said Bush's secretary was the single most qualified person in the country to be put on the Supreme Court. It was wrong but also stupid. She was laughed out of consideration. However there are lots and lots of highly qualified people for every government position. There is a notebook full of people in California for the senate.

6. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QP! View Post
    No you are just being dishonesty and i do not know why.

We ARE NOT discussing Newsome pick and my view or your view of it being oK. We have NEVER engaged in that discussion.

What we ARE discussing is you stated a view that xsaid you believe there is such a thing as a singular qualified person for a job and i questioned how and why you could think that as it does not follow any logic.

in every attempt to defend or explain your position you have instead went off to tangents to misrepresent as i think you realize you simply cannot defend it and instead of owning you want to deflect.

This 'singular best person' for the job is a political myth used to agitate people who are gullible. There will always be, especially for the SC or any Political position numerous people in many different groups, who will have the qualifications ALL OF WHICH are fine to choose. It will then come down to subjective criteria (do you prefer a SC Justice who worked as a Defense attorney or a prosecutor) which you may prefer one aspect and i may prefer another. What that does not mean is that the person picked was not qualified just because you would prefer it was the other person.

It is a lie. You seemingly have bought and internalized the lie and do not want to reflect on it and thus you deflect.
    I've been trying to discuss the Newsome situation all along.
    That's the discussion I entered in the first place.
    You kept trying to steer it somewhere else, and I kept trying to bring it back.
    We've bored this forum enough with this discussion.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

7. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I've been trying to discuss the Newsome situation all along.
    That's the discussion I entered in the first place.
    You kept trying to steer it somewhere else, and I kept trying to bring it back.
    We've bored this forum enough with this discussion.
    No you are being dishonest.

YOU and I disagreed over a 'best person for the job' and what that means, and that is what we have been discussing. You proclaimed you disagreed with me on that EXACT thing and we engagged.

You now want to back away from it and pretend that was never the case, which is fine. We can move on. It is a function of this forum that people do not want to own their positions and just deny them when they feel they are wrong later. I am used to it from others.

If you want me to go back and quote the origins of our dispute i can.

8. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No you are being dishonest.

YOU and I disagreed over a 'best person for the job' and what that means, and that is what we have been discussing. You proclaimed you disagreed with me on that EXACT thing and we engagged.

You now want to back away from it and pretend that was never the case, which is fine. We can move on. It is a function of this forum that people do not want to own their positions and just deny them when they feel they are wrong later. I am used to it from others.

If you want me to go back and quote the origins of our dispute i can.
    If we indeed went off on that tangent, QP!, largely due to you persistence and not mine, we also carried that as far as it could go.
    We disagree. People disagree all the time. Nothing to see here.

9. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If we indeed went off on that tangent, QP!, largely due to you persistence and not mine, we also carried that as far as it could go.
    We disagree. People disagree all the time. Nothing to see here.
    we did not disagree though. Not in any supported way. You kept making points that when challenged you backed away from. In no way did you establish any argument for 'singular qualified person' for a job, a position you stated absolutely stated at the beginning you held in opposition to me.

The singular qualified person is a political myth created by right leaning derps simply to suggest anyone they do not agree with being picked is not qualified, when that is not the fact or accurate. A POTUS could say tomorrow if he gets a SC pick, he/she will choose a latino. That statement does not mean the person is any less qualified than anyone not latino. There will be qualified people in pretty much each group you could look at.

10. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There will be qualified people in pretty much each group you could look at.
    I agree with this.
    One must then choose from among the qualified people using one's own priorities as a guide.
    If you think that this requires further discussion or verification, then we've nothing to talk about because we do simply disagree.

11. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I agree with this.
    One must then choose from among the qualified people using one's own priorities as a guide.
    If you think that this requires further discussion or verification, then we've nothing to talk about because we do simply disagree.
    We do not.

That was exactly my point which you originally disagreed with. So now we agree.

12. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 84 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Newsom’s vow to appoint a Black woman to the Senate looms large amid Feinstein health concerns

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/29/polit...ats/index.html

Blatant racial and sexual discrimination.

Well, I think it a very good policy. I mean, just look at how well the same logic worked for BRANDON when it came to choosing who would be his Vice President ! Don't be fooled, folks. Gavin Newsome may look like a moron, but actually he's one really "smart cookie." !

Dachshund - the WONDER HOUND

DLM....Dachshund Lives Matter !!
    Last edited by Dachshund; 06-02-2023 at 09:36 PM.