Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: California kills off truck sales by 2035

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Serious people including climate scientists who know much more than you or I disagree.
    Yea, sure. They were so wrong, totally wrong, about CFC's and the hole in the ozone layer. They've been repeatedly caught 'fudging evidence.' They have repeatedly been beaten down in court. They keep finding stuff they didn't know or consider. So, to somehow claim they're correct with any reasonable level of certainty is absurd.

For example, NASA then other climate researchers found that jet contrails were a contributor to climate change. They estimated that as much as 10%, possibly more, of anthropogenic climate change is due to them. Yet, you don't hear these researchers clamoring to fix that problem because it is easily and cheaply done. Worse, if it were implemented (jets routed around areas and altitudes were they would produce them) and worked, they'd be out of a job.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,895 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Yea, sure. They were so wrong, totally wrong, about CFC's and the hole in the ozone layer. They've been repeatedly caught 'fudging evidence.' They have repeatedly been beaten down in court. They keep finding stuff they didn't know or consider. So, to somehow claim they're correct with any reasonable level of certainty is absurd.

For example, NASA then other climate researchers found that jet contrails were a contributor to climate change. They estimated that as much as 10%, possibly more, of anthropogenic climate change is due to them. Yet, you don't hear these researchers clamoring to fix that problem because it is easily and cheaply done. Worse, if it were implemented (jets routed around areas and altitudes were they would produce them) and worked, they'd be out of a job.
    Reducing our carbon footprint, being energy independent and making the world safer for our grandchildren is more important than owning the libs. Lib-bashers should refine their priorities.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Reducing our carbon footprint, being energy independent and making the world safer for our grandchildren is more important than owning the libs. Lib-bashers should refine their priorities.
    No, it's not if doing so destroys the economy and wrecks millions of lives while there were and are alternatives that wouldn't do that but weren't taken because they were deemed politically unacceptable or incorrect.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Into the Night (05-31-2023)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, it's not if doing so destroys the economy and wrecks millions of lives while there were and are alternatives that wouldn't do that but weren't taken because they were deemed politically unacceptable or incorrect.
    1. Doing so will not destroy the economy or wreck lives. Or is Elon Musk and all car company CEO's dirty commies all of the sudden who should be producing gas guzzling road machines rather than EV's? Most American car companies have pledged to go all electric by the 2030's. What do you know that they don't?

2. What "alternatives" are you talking about?

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

1. Doing so will not destroy the economy or wreck lives. Or is Elon Musk and all car company CEO's dirty commies all of the sudden who should be producing gas guzzling road machines rather than EV's? Most American car companies have pledged to go all electric by the 2030's. What do you know that they don't?
    If EV's are too expensive for most Americans, and the used car market dries up due to the cost of battery replacements, then the poor and working stiffs get screwed out of private vehicle ownership and forced into alternate means of transportation.
    If electricity becomes so expensive that people making low incomes can't afford it, and deaths due to heat and cold rise as a result is that beneficial to society?

All those "gas guzzling" cars in part make the economy work. For those particularly in rural areas where charging might be difficult or impossible, gasoline (and diesel) being portable make sense.

All the car companies are doing what the government wants. California and several other blue states have set mandates to phase out sale of new ICE vehicles in the coming years. EV's are being forced on the public. If they were not, they wouldn't gain any notable market share just as they have for over a century. It is only totalitarian government using mandates and bribes that's making them sell. At the same time, statist capitalist (an economic form seen in fascism of the Left) corporations are more than willing to switch so long as they make a profit.

2. What "alternatives" are you talking about?
    Nuclear and natural gas for electrical generation. Hydrogen or anhydrous ammonia as portable fuels. Battery cars are a technological dead end and suck from an engineering and technical standpoint.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If EV's are too expensive for most Americans, and the used car market dries up due to the cost of battery replacements, then the poor and working stiffs get screwed out of private vehicle ownership and forced into alternate means of transportation.
    If electricity becomes so expensive that people making low incomes can't afford it, and deaths due to heat and cold rise as a result is that beneficial to society?

All those "gas guzzling" cars in part make the economy work. For those particularly in rural areas where charging might be difficult or impossible, gasoline (and diesel) being portable make sense.

All the car companies are doing what the government wants. California and several other blue states have set mandates to phase out sale of new ICE vehicles in the coming years. EV's are being forced on the public. If they were not, they wouldn't gain any notable market share just as they have for over a century. It is only totalitarian government using mandates and bribes that's making them sell. At the same time, statist capitalist (an economic form seen in fascism of the Left) corporations are more than willing to switch so long as they make a profit.

Nuclear and natural gas for electrical generation. Hydrogen or anhydrous ammonia as portable fuels. Battery cars are a technological dead end and suck from an engineering and technical standpoint.
    I see a lot of "ifs" in your response to my question #1. I guess you think you know more than Elon Musk and every car company in existence who are either all EV now or will be going there by the 2030's. Your "ifs" just demonstrates paranoia. Car companies don't do what the government wants. Car companies do what's good for their bottom line and for their stockholders.

Battery technology can only improve, and I am certain it will. Soon ICE vehicles will soon be a thing of the past - like the horse and buggy.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see a lot of "ifs" in your response to my question #1. I guess you think you know more than Elon Musk and every car company in existence who are either all EV now or will be going there by the 2030's. Your "ifs" just demonstrates paranoia. Car companies don't do what the government wants. Car companies do what's good for their bottom line and for their stockholders.

Battery technology can only improve, and I am certain it will. Soon ICE vehicles will soon be a thing of the past - like the horse and buggy.
    Battery technology is limited by physics and the elements. No battery can produce a charge greater than about 3 volts per cell simply because chemistry and the nature of the elements is such that's the greatest potential between any two. Batteries are a dead end technology that can at most incrementally get a tiny bit better than they currently are.

It is government forcing EV's on the public. Even so, the public doesn't want them.

Most Americans Won't Consider Buying an Electric Car, JD Power Study Finds
    https://www.newsweek.com/most-americ...-finds-1710444

4 reasons why electric cars haven’t taken off yet
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/...s-fossil-fuel/

As an aside, if you drove down the street I live on, you'd notice that only about 1 in 10 vehicles is a car. The overwhelming majority of vehicles in driveways are SUV's, vans, and pickups. In fact, out of upwards of maybe 100 vehicles on the street I live on, I know of only one Tesla, and that car is sitting next to two pickups and an SUV. So, it's likely just a daily driver to commute by someone who can afford a second--fourth?-- car.

My 'if's' are valid. Without government coercion using mandates and bribes, EV's would go nowhere in the market. Musk and Tesla would have gone out of business.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,622 Times in 51,916 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then she can get one in a state that offers them legally. If it's that big a deal to her, she should live in one to begin with. You on the other hand are a hypocrite. You don't believe in state's rights except where they align with you own political views.
    I disagree with your assertion that States can strip Americans of unalienable rights.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Battery technology is limited by physics and the elements. No battery can produce a charge greater than about 3 volts per cell simply because chemistry and the nature of the elements is such that's the greatest potential between any two. Batteries are a dead end technology that can at most incrementally get a tiny bit better than they currently are.

It is government forcing EV's on the public. Even so, the public doesn't want them.

Most Americans Won't Consider Buying an Electric Car, JD Power Study Finds
    https://www.newsweek.com/most-americ...-finds-1710444

4 reasons why electric cars haven’t taken off yet
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/...s-fossil-fuel/

As an aside, if you drove down the street I live on, you'd notice that only about 1 in 10 vehicles is a car. The overwhelming majority of vehicles in driveways are SUV's, vans, and pickups. In fact, out of upwards of maybe 100 vehicles on the street I live on, I know of only one Tesla, and that car is sitting next to two pickups and an SUV. So, it's likely just a daily driver to commute by someone who can afford a second--fourth?-- car.

My 'if's' are valid. Without government coercion using mandates and bribes, EV's would go nowhere in the market. Musk and Tesla would have gone out of business.
    Saying corporations do what the government wants is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen.

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    I disagree with your assertion that States can strip Americans of unalienable rights.
    Unalienable rights are enumerated in the 1st amendment. An "unalienable" right is one to which you have access at all times you want it. Things like education, health care, and the like cannot be "unalienable" because they cost money, are available in limited quantities, and can be controlled and rationed by government.

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Do you really think an auto manufacturer can build and sell a car in the US that doesn't meet federal rules and regulations on safety, emissions, size, etc.? How about aircraft manufacturers? Hell, for that matter, bucket makers... The government can dictate all sorts of stuff to corporations, and does.

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you really think an auto manufacturer can build and sell a car in the US that doesn't meet federal rules and regulations on safety, emissions, size, etc.? How about aircraft manufacturers? Hell, for that matter, bucket makers... The government can dictate all sorts of stuff to corporations, and does.
    The second most ridiculous thing I've heard is using the vehicles on your street as a bellwether for the entire nation.

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The second most ridiculous thing I've heard is using the vehicles on your street as a bellwether for the entire nation.
    I suspect that if the government does try to force a complete switch to EV's it'll end up like the 55 mph speed limit mandate Carter imposed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Why do you rightys keep lying about the prices of EVs? They are comparable to cheaper than ICEs.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I suspect that if the government does try to force a complete switch to EV's it'll end up like the 55 mph speed limit mandate Carter imposed.
    Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...limit-into-law

"As part of his response to the embargo, President Nixon signed a federal law lowering all national highway speed limits to 55 mph. The act was intended to force Americans to drive at speeds deemed more fuel-efficient, thereby curbing the U.S. appetite for foreign oil. With it, Nixon ushered in a policy of fuel conservation and rationing not seen since World War II."