Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, moon, serendipity, Text Drivers are Killers, Lightbringer, ziggy, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Eagle_Eye, volsrock, ptif219, Uncensored2008, Into the Night, gfm7175, Earl, David Jeffrey Spetch, Grokmaster, saltydancin, Stone, ExpressLane, Hawkeye10, Matt Dillon, T. A. Gardner, Yakuda, IBDaMann, Dachshund, BidenPresident, Lionfish, Gondwanaland, Libhater, Theywillneverlearn! and Tinkerpeach

Thread: The last days of the great American motorcars.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Default The last days of the great American motorcars.

The legendary “muscle car” era began in 1964 with the Pontiac GTO and ended with emission-controlled but still carbureted 1970s models that couldn’t get out of their own way.
    Even the earlier good ones were in essence dolled up versions of very ordinary mid-sized passenger cars from General Motors or Chrysler Corporation.
    Ford wasn’t a major player in mid-sized muscle cars.
    They had the Mustang on one side of them and the Thunderbird on the other.

If you watch the Mecum or Barrett-Jackson auctions on television, you’ll see how popular those vintage muscle cars still are among motor enthusiasts.
    My own taste in domestic motorcars of the era was more upscale –
    I only liked Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Corvettes that young people like I was at the time usually couldn’t afford.
    I’ve got a vintage Corvette restomod now, as a geriatric, but I wish that I had a huge Lincoln Connie to go with it.

Too late, now.
    Even if I could in good conscience spend six figures on building another toy, I probably wouldn’t still be driving by the time the project could be completed.
    I’m waxing nostalgic about classic cars right now because the internal combustion engine-powered car is on the way out,
    and with it,
    basically the last vestiges of the world in which I lived the prime of my life.

It’s probably necessary, but it absolutely sucks.
    Imagine a boy being born who will never hear the roar of a high compression, large displacement V8 engine.
    I can’t imagine anybody wanting to bring such a son into the world.

Anyway, this is the new car enthusiast thread.
    Any thoughts on classic or performance cars are welcome here.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-24-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speaking of Corvettes, mine is about to take a trip to Dunkin Donuts.
    I'm all out of yesterday's stale ones.

Fortunately, the top is already down, so with a great deal of effort,
    I'll be able to get in and out of it.

With the top up, there's no point in even trying.
    I mean, really.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Saw a C8 this morning.

My Corvette is a cute little roadster.
    The new ones are fire-breathing monsters.
    Each is cool in its own way.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I’m really not a car guy. My FIL is an engineer at Corvette in BG so I do pay attention to them. I’ll admit that I like the older Corvettes better than the new ones, though I have driven on their test track with the 2017 model. Corvettes still sound like a car of that type is supposed to sound.

Bronco is my vehicle of choice. I had an ‘86 model and should have never sold it. I refuse to pay the price for one since they brought them back but if I had a money tree I’d have to be driving a ‘72-‘79 model.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Speaking of Corvettes, mine is about to take a trip to Dunkin Donuts.
    I'm all out of yesterday's stale ones.

Fortunately, the top is already down, so with a great deal of effort,
    I'll be able to get in and out of it.

With the top up, there's no point in even trying.
    I mean, really.
    I call it "putting on the car" rather than "getting in the car" if the top is up... It's like trying to put on a pair of pants that are just a bit too tight...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (05-26-2023)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I’m really not a car guy. My FIL is an engineer at Corvette in BG so I do pay attention to them. I’ll admit that I like the older Corvettes better than the new ones, though I have driven on their test track with the 2017 model. Corvettes still sound like a car of that type is supposed to sound.

Bronco is my vehicle of choice. I had an ‘86 model and should have never sold it. I refuse to pay the price for one since they brought them back but if I had a money tree I’d have to be driving a ‘72-‘79 model.
    I drove one of the 2023s on a track just recently. They are nice, but I like the 63 to 67s the best... The split windows are fun to look at, but that blind spot in the rear view gets annoying.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle