Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Universe a quantum fluctuation?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    In quantum mechanics, there is no zero-energy state.
    What is the quantum mechanics' statement for this? I don't think there is one.

There is only the lowest possible energy state of a system, its ground state.
    What if that lowest energy state is zero? What if the lowest energy state is negative and the highest energy state is positive? If this ever were the case then the mean value theorem assures us that there is a zero energy state.

There is no such thing as a true vacuum in the sense of complete emptiness.
    How do you know that there aren't countless patches of emptiness opening up every second between atoms, for example, or along imperceptible dimensions 34 through 57?

Quantum mechanics forbids nothingness.
    What is the quantum mechanics' statement for this? I don't think there is one.

If there are energy fluctuations in a quantum vacuum, very interesting things can happen.
    In reality, very interesting things can happen.

For example, the E = mc2 relation tells us that energy and matter are interconvertible.
    Incorrect. The law of conservation of energy mandates that energy always be conserved and Einstein's energy-matter equivalence provides us with an equivalence we can use in that regard. Also, it shows us that things outside matter have mass. It does not state that electricity can be converted to matter, for example.

A vacuum energy fluctuation can be converted into particles of matter.
    I'm not buying this. Do you have anything to offer in the way of verifying this?

Sounds weird? Maybe, but it happens all the time.
    ... or maybe it never happens because you are writing science fiction.

These particles are called virtual particles, living a fleeting existence before plunging back into the ever-busy quantum vacuum.
    Aren't these what Captain Kirk used to detect the cloaked Romulan ship?

Physicist Edward Tryon extrapolated the idea of quantum fluctuations to the Universe as a whole.
    Is he a member of the Writers Guild? Did he know Gene Rodennberry, by any chance?

In physics you simply cannot get something out of nothing. Creation ex nihilo is not the way of nature.
    ... unless nature and its laws are what are being created, in which case the creator (whatever that might be) is not confined to merely those laws.

Also, nobody has any concept of the nature of nothingness. There are no valid statements you can make about it.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

When you start your first post by saying Einstein was overrated and only got lucky one single time, it means you haven't done the work to familiarize yourself with Einstein's research career
    He was overrated, most of his research has been proven wrong and that’s just a fact

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    He was overrated, most of his research has been proven wrong and that’s just a fact
    I hate to splash you with cold water, but this statement doesn't make sense. Research is not something that gets proven wrong. It's just research. Einstein's science has never been falsified.

Enjoy.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IBDaMann For This Post:

Melchizedek = Michael (05-25-2023)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Since you appear know almost nothing about the career and influence of Albert Einstein, I'll invest the time to dispel your ignorance

You claimed he got lucky and was known for only one thing.

He won a Nobel for demonstrating wave-particle duality.

He basically proved that atoms actually exist

He completely changed how we think about time and space, showing they are not uniform.

He showed that mass and energy are interchangeable

He completely changed our ideas about gravity and what causes it.

Any one of those accomplishments alone would have launched a physicist into the top tier of science

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-25-2023)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

I don't know if that is actually technically correct. He won his Nobel related to the Photoelectric Effect which helped establish quantum states, not necessarily wave-particle duality. His finding lead to the development of wave-particle duality as a concept, but if I am recalling correctly his was more related to the discrete energy levels (quanta).

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Actually that was John Dalton

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Dalton had a hypothesis.

Einstein's Brownian motion paper was a confirmation of atomic motion

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know if that is actually technically correct. He won his Nobel related to the Photoelectric Effect which helped establish quantum states, not necessarily wave-particle duality. His finding lead to the development of wave-particle duality as a concept, but if I am recalling correctly his was more related to the discrete energy levels (quanta).
    "It was Albert Einstein who suggested that light did not behave exactly a wave or a particle. Instead, light behaves as both wave and particle. Einstein’s theory became known as the wave-particle duality of light, and is now fully accepted by modern scientists."

https://earthsky.org/human-world/fir...%20same%20time.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

We’ll work on your communication skills and maybe you can get to a level to debate me

If you work hard enough you can do anything
    When Cypress can't stand the heat of Debate he blocks you!
    That being said I have Dutch blocked because he Doesn't debate,he baits you for a reaction!
    Cypress is a seeker of knowledge, but shy's away from things that make him uncomfortable.
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Source!
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

Since you appear know almost nothing about the career and influence of Albert Einstein, I'll invest the time to dispel your ignorance

He completely changed how we think about time and space, showing they are not uniform.

Any one of those accomplishments alone would have launched a physicist into the top tier of science
    Obama won a Nobel also lol

And his theory on wave particle duality is an extreme oversimplification of what actually happens

He basically just outlines the process but never actually explains how it works
    Last edited by Tinkerpeach; 05-25-2023 at 08:32 AM.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obama won a Nobel also lol
    I accept your tacit confession that you were almost completely unaware of the breadth of the research career of Albert Einstein

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The irony is that Einstein was a pioneer in what later came to be called quantum physics, but he became reticent to buy into the ideas of Bohr and Shroedinger.

"Einstein won the Nobel prize for this idea (his paper on the photo electric effect). He essentially suggested what we now call the wave-particle duality of light, showing that light can be both particle and wave and will manifest differently depending on the circumstance.

https://bigthink.com/13-8/quantum-nature-of-light/

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nobody has proved that atoms exist. Nothing is ever confirmed or proven true in science.

Dalton merely theorized discrete particles to explain chemical behavior. His models have not been falsified. This does not mean they have somehow been confirmed.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Einstein's Brownian motion paper was a confirmation of atomic motion
    It most certainly was not any sort of confirmation. Nothing is ever confirmed or "verified" in science. The paper On the Movement of Small Particles Suspended in a Stationary Liquid Demanded by the Molecular-Kinetic Theory of Heat merely theorized about Dalton's models. Jean-Baptiste Perrin tested Einstein's theories, failed to falsify them and garnered the Nobel prize for his work.