Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Universe a quantum fluctuation?

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    If only he could show some "synthesis" of the mass of information he takes in. It seems that his desires are fully met when he quotes something and no one is allowed to disagree.

It's like reading a book simply by skimming one's eyes over the text but never actually grokking what was described. That's why I like to challenge the points. Unfortunately it upsets him so much.

I guess the only acceptable response is "Yes, you are so right!" and to appreciate the huge amounts of stuff he "reads".
    He has been doing this for years on this forum. I gave up on him. He would flunk out of a freshman survey class.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    No, I don't generally like it when people hijack my thread to relentlessly parse a topic that has nothing to do with the OP, and I try to not do that to other people's threads.
    See? That's where you are wrong. But it appears you lack the requisite background in QM.

I find it ironic because you seem MASSIVELY well read. But I sense you don't actually SYNTHESIZE information.

You seem to feel like you are seeing so deeply but clearly you don't necessarily understand this particular topic in technical detail. Your points sound like so many new agers, who read something about quantum that is weird and who go off on a tangent decreeing so many deep things which don't necessarily have any meaning. You think you are asking deep questions but I'm challenging that assumption.

Don't get me wrong: I know I'm not that well versed in the intense mathematics of this topic, but you seem even less familiar. The point I raise is very much apropos. Even if YOU don't like it.

THIS TOPIC SPECIFICALLY, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle IS very much a MATHEMATICAL topic. As such to discuss it you MUST understand what the math is telling you. You cannot simply decree whatever new agey blather you like. It is a function of the MATH.

Even Russel started off with simple math and expanded off of it when writing Principia Mathematica.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    He has been doing this for years on this forum. I gave up on him. He would flunk out of a freshman survey class.
    He could certainly CITE things he's read and probably adequately repeat them as needed. That doesn't mean he's synthesizing it or understanding it.

I don't actually fault him for trying to go off on some pseudo philosophical tangent as he likes, but like new agers, just invoking Quantum Mechanics does not inherently open the floodgates to whatever woowoo one wants to paste onto it.

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

He could certainly CITE things he's read and probably adequately repeat them as needed. That doesn't mean he's synthesizing it or understanding it.

I don't actually fault him for trying to go off on some pseudo philosophical tangent as he likes, but like new agers, just invoking Quantum Mechanics does not inherently open the floodgates to whatever woowoo one wants to paste onto it.
    My study of Q.M. shows a world closer to the one I live in. The deterministic principle of classical physics never made sense to me.

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Yet here you are, COgoat.

Just because you think you know what you are talking about like you think you know Bush blew up the WTC on 9/11 doesn't mean you do know. You are delusional, hence all the Twilight Zone references like this:
    Bro, you're getting good at avoiding my traps. Last year you'd pull anything out of Google's ass to be part of the conversation. Cypress is a fence sitter so he won't mention what field of mathematics quantum nothingness came out of. How could Tryon possibly know what the universe was like before the big bang? He writes about the absence of time in the universe but no one is willing to post his exact words. I bet it has something to do with gravity.

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,622 Times in 51,916 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Bro, you're getting good at avoiding my traps. Last year you'd pull anything out of Google's ass to be part of the conversation. Cypress is a fence sitter so he won't mention what field of mathematics quantum nothingness came out of. How could Tryon possibly know what the universe was like before the big bang? He writes about the absence of time in the universe but no one is willing to post his exact words. I bet it has something to do with gravity.
    Thanks for the confession....not that I needed it to see you for who you are, COgoat.

You're a hateful person, that's easy to see. My curiosity is to find out why people become bitter, resentful losers.

For the most part, it's the standard: they are in pain. Either mental and/or physical.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Thanks for the confession....not that I needed it to see you for who you are, COgoat.

You're a hateful person, that's easy to see. My curiosity is to find out why people become bitter, resentful losers.

For the most part, it's the standard: they are in pain. Either mental and/or physical.
    One good message board habit you have is identifying the sources of information you are pulling from, whether it be Wiki or other internet sources.

A lot of posters will frantically google for tidbits of information and then race back to the thread to pass it off as their own knowledge they supposedly worked diligently though school or self education to acquire.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-28-2023)

9. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One good message board habit you have is identifying the sources of information you are pulling from, whether it be Wiki or other internet sources.

A lot of posters will frantically google for tidbits of information and then race back to the thread to pass it off as their own knowledge they supposedly worked diligently though school or self education to acquire.
    Tryon did a pretty good job at explaining our universe before the big bang. That alone got the world interested in string theory. I watched it evolve over the last 30 years so I know we're headed for a universe without time. Too many physicists waiting for the official announcement.

10. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You were caught frantically googling "Freezing Point Depression" which you didn't know about before. Then you lied about knowing the right answer even though you gave the wrong one.

You also like to quote MASSIVE amounts of other people's stuff without use of quotation marks. Usually it's only because you provide a link at the bottom that anyone can tell you aren't just plagiarizing. But I get it...you don't know how to quote people's work and you are a massive hypocrite.

That's what you did with regards to Freezing Point Depression. You and I both know it. (The hint was that you went directly to the entropic effect. You wanted to show off and appear smarter. Yes, it's true, it is related to entropy, but most people just refer to it as "freezing point depression". At least those people who have taken chemistry classes.

So you are a hypocrite and a liar. And you fancy yourself so smart. Too bad other people know more than you do.

11. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Space-time is doomed
    Nima Arkani-Hamed

Subatomic madness
    In physics equations, time is used to keep track of the sequence of things as events unfold. But he has come to believe that organizing particle collisions according to "when" unnecessarily complicates the mathematics. Instead, he's experimenting with abstract geometric shapes that can describe events without using time.

Arkani-Hamed says that these shapes can't yet replace the idea of time, but he believes that at some point time itself will be supplanted by some other theory of what makes the Universe tick.

"It's unlikely to survive in the fundamental principles of an even deeper understanding of physics," he says.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/16/11397...g%20time%20too.

12. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Space-time is doomed
    Nima Arkani-Hamed

Subatomic madness
    In physics equations, time is used to keep track of the sequence of things as events unfold. But he has come to believe that organizing particle collisions according to "when" unnecessarily complicates the mathematics. Instead, he's experimenting with abstract geometric shapes that can describe events without using time.

Arkani-Hamed says that these shapes can't yet replace the idea of time, but he believes that at some point time itself will be supplanted by some other theory of what makes the Universe tick.

"It's unlikely to survive in the fundamental principles of an even deeper understanding of physics," he says.

What causes time folding specificity into unfold by specific things already existing as universally present changing form and shape that doesn't create or destroy the energy of the universe never same details twice between erosion and decomposition?

Intellect only compares current events going forward never same as what arrived so far of everything universally displaced now.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

13. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Space-time is doomed
    Nima Arkani-Hamed

Subatomic madness

The UFT is the Holy Grail of physics.

14. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

You were caught frantically googling "Freezing Point Depression" which you didn't know about before. Then you lied about knowing the right answer even though you gave the wrong one.

You also like to quote MASSIVE amounts of other people's stuff without use of quotation marks. Usually it's only because you provide a link at the bottom that anyone can tell you aren't just plagiarizing. But I get it...you don't know how to quote people's work and you are a massive hypocrite.

That's what you did with regards to Freezing Point Depression. You and I both know it. (The hint was that you went directly to the entropic effect. You wanted to show off and appear smarter. Yes, it's true, it is related to entropy, but most people just refer to it as "freezing point depression". At least those people who have taken chemistry classes.

So you are a hypocrite and a liar. And you fancy yourself so smart. Too bad other people know more than you do.
    Such rage, resentment, and anger -->

I'm familiar with how entropy depresses freezing point, I just didn't see the need to be a jackass and bluster about the finer details of thermodynamics.

The question asked was whether it's to cold for life. The answer is, no it's not. Whether it's freshwater freezing at 0 C or sea water freezing at -1.8 C. That is a miniscule difference as far as life is concerned, and the average person on the street doesn't give a shit about the finer points of chemistry; zero degrees centigrade is a convenient reference point most people will recognize .
    If I have to Google anything I always cite my sources

I wasn't going to be a jackass to Nifty, who's question I was answering, by blustering about the finer points of thermodynamics.

Anyone who has seen videos of Antarctica glaciers calving into the sea knows intuitively there is a freezing point difference between freshwater and seawater

Liquid water always freezes at 32F or zero C under standard atmospheric conditions.

Always..

Seawater is not pure water, H2O.

Seawater is a solution, comprised of a solvent (H2O), and a dense concentration of many solutes (Na+, Cl-, Ca++, Mg++, etc.).

The presence of solutes in a solution increases the entropy and depresses the freezing point.

At least that's what I remember from freshman chemistry.

I leave you to stomp your feet, scream, and pout.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-30-2023)

16. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

The UFT is the Holy Grail of physics.
    Geometric forms to symbolize philosophy think outside a box and psychology to 7 degrees of separation on 3 axioms of 6 polarizations of individual universal constant changes arriving next now 24/7.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

17. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Geometric forms to symbolize philosophy think outside a box and psychology to 7 degrees of separation on 3 axioms of 6 polarizations of individual universal constant changes arriving next now 24/7.