Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America was created by philosophy

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default America was created by philosophy

"Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy." —Margaret Thatcher

Commentators often suggest that Americans have no political philosophy. The standard line is that Americans are doers, not thinkers; pragmatists, not philosophers. On first glance, this seems insightful; however, close examination of the corpus of American political thought makes clear that this thought-action dichotomy is illusory. Born of English parents and developed in changing and increasingly heterogeneous contexts, American political thought has cycled around an essentially liberal core for nearly 400 years.

Although Americans tend not to think explicitly in terms of abstract theory, our very institutions are informed by theory. In fact, as Garry Wills has noted, America is an “invented” country, the construct of men who consciously built political structures to govern a nation. The traditional concerns of political philosophy guided them: the nature of humans, the sources of legitimate social and political authority, the nature of, the role of the individual citizen, and the proper ends of social and governmental order. Thus, instead of being theory-poor, American institutions are rooted in, and have developed from, explicitly philosophical origins. Wittingly or not, this conditions American citizens: Our thought and actions are theory bound and guided.

source credit Joseph F. Kobylka, professor of political science

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Why do forum people not know how to post a link to the source of the text?!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

No sense in challenging this because it was said by Joseph F. Kobylka who is a professor of political science. No one can question or debate it.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    No sense in challenging this because it was said by Joseph F. Kobylka who is a professor of political science. No one can question or debate it.
    You don't have to discuss the ideas of brilliant or important people if you don't want to.

In that case, I expect to never see you participate in a thread about Darwin's theory of evolution or Einsteins theory of relativity.

I think Margaret Thatcher has latched onto a kernel of truth. In a sense, the intellectual fathers of the American experiment are John Locke and Montesquieu.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You don't have to discuss the ideas of brilliant or important people if you don't want to.

In that case, I expect to never see you participate in a thread about Darwin's theory of evolution or Einsteins theory of relativity.

I think Margaret Thatcher has latched onto a kernel of truth. In a sense, the intellectual fathers of the American experiment are John Locke and Montesquieu.
    You join the right wing in refusing to post the source of the text.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It seems you don't either. You just quoted this. Whenever anyone even so much as questions the received wisdom you acquire you don't take it well.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It seems you don't either. You just quoted this. Whenever anyone even so much as questions the received wisdom you acquire you don't take it well.
    Yes. Comical and pathetic.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You join the right wing in refusing to post the source of the text.
    He did give a reference even without the link, so it's actually OK. I could quickly find the text online.

I am curious, however, why Cypress thinks merely quoting something without comment = "Discussion".

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He did give a reference even without the link, so it's actually OK. I could quickly find the text online.

I am curious, however, why Cypress thinks merely quoting something without comment = "Discussion".
    Not a source. But...who fuckin cares

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's OBVIOUSLY true that America was founded by Enlightenment Thinkers who couched all their ideals in terms of the philosophy they were imbibing at the time. That does not mean modern America is anywhere even remotely like that.

We are quickly becoming a low-literacy, solipsistic society of pure consumers. We live to watch Tik Tok videos about cats and we worship money. There is very little left of the Enlightenment in our Late Stage Capitalist society that values greed over all.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Why do forum people not know how to post a link to the source of the text?!
    There is no link, because I copied it from a PDF.

It's interesting because it is a perspective I have not heard. I always bought into the caricature of America as a simple minded nation primarily concerned with pragmatic interests.

I never really thought of our country being based on a deep engagement with philosophy. Which maybe has a kernel of truth, because our destiny was shaped to some extent by Locke and Montesquieu.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is no link, because I copied it from a PDF.

It's interesting because it is a perspective I have not heard. The caricature of America is of a simple minded nation primarily concerned with pragmatic interests.

I never really thought of our country being based on a deep engagement with philosophy. Which maybe has a kernel of truth, because our destiny was shaped to some extent by Locke and Montesquieu.
    no link no read

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

"Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy." —Margaret Thatcher

Commentators often suggest that Americans have no political philosophy. The standard line is that Americans are doers, not thinkers; pragmatists, not philosophers. On first glance, this seems insightful; however, close examination of the corpus of American political thought makes clear that this thought-action dichotomy is illusory. Born of English parents and developed in changing and increasingly heterogeneous contexts, American political thought has cycled around an essentially liberal core for nearly 400 years.

Although Americans tend not to think explicitly in terms of abstract theory, our very institutions are informed by theory. In fact, as Garry Wills has noted, America is an “invented” country, the construct of men who consciously built political structures to govern a nation. The traditional concerns of political philosophy guided them: the nature of humans, the sources of legitimate social and political authority, the nature of, the role of the individual citizen, and the proper ends of social and governmental order. Thus, instead of being theory-poor, American institutions are rooted in, and have developed from, explicitly philosophical origins. Wittingly or not, this conditions American citizens: Our thought and actions are theory bound and guided.

source credit Joseph F. Kobylka, professor of political science
    I don't know if this is on topic, but Philosophy 101 was a very important freshman class in college.
    It helped keep my GPA on a respectable level.
    I'm hard pressed to even imagine an easier A than that.
    Those As helped boost up all those Gentleman's Cs.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I don't know if this is on topic, but Philosophy 101 was a very important freshman class in college.
    It helped keep my GPA on a respectable level.
    I'm hard pressed to even imagine an easier A than that.
    Those As helped boost up all those Gentleman's Cs.
    You obviously learned nothing from that class.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

But British Petroleum, I got an A!!!
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969