Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden Says He Has Authority to Challenge Debt Limit

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default Biden Says He Has Authority to Challenge Debt Limit

President Biden said on Sunday that he believed he had the authority to challenge the constitutionality of the nation’s borrowing limit but that he did not believe such a challenge could succeed in time to avoid a default on federal debt if lawmakers did not raise the limit soon.

“I think we have the authority,” Mr. Biden said at a news conference after the Group of 7 summit in Hiroshima, Japan. “The question is could it be done and invoked in time.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/21/u...ebt-limit.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default Biden: GOP must move off ‘extreme’ positions, no debt limit deal solely on its ‘parti

“It’s time for Republicans to accept that there is no bipartisan deal to be made solely, solely, on their partisan terms,” Biden said at a closing news conference before he departed. The president said he had done his part in attempting to raise the borrowing limit so the U.S. government can keep paying its bills, by agreeing to significant cuts in spending. “Now it’s time for the other side to move from their extreme position,” he said.

https://apnews.com/article/debt-limi...30f82481388f17

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,395 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,121 Times in 1,030 Posts

He's known this was coming for three years. For two of them he had both a Democratic Senate and House. Democrats have been negligent in doing nothing all that time.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

4. The Following 3 Users Groan At martin For This Awful Post:

Lightbringer (05-25-2023), Nordberg (05-21-2023), Phantasmal (05-21-2023)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Post:

LurchAddams (05-22-2023)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,564 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    He's known this was coming for three years. For two of them he had both a Democratic Senate and House. Democrats have been negligent in doing nothing all that time.
    Dems passed the debt ceiling lift 3 times when Trump was in office. The reds are acting politically and sabotaging the economy believing the mess will be blamed on the Dems. The Reds are on the wrong side of huge issues, so they are creating another one. Deflection is all they have. They are likely to nominate a criminal and thief to run for president.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

LurchAddams (05-21-2023), martin (05-21-2023), Phantasmal (05-21-2023)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,175 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

You know who pays the Bills in most American Families?

Easy answer- WOMEN!

And women know best that when the bills come due- you have to pay them or things get cut off- No excuses- No exceptions.

So women know right now who is at fault in this debate.

This idea that the Republicans can refuse to raise the debt ceiling just to make Biden look bad- will backfire on the Republicans come election day.

Women are already pissed off at the Republicans for the way they ended Roe Vs. Wade, and this is only making them madder and madder!

Women are the largest voting bloc in America!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-21-2023 at 10:57 AM.

9. The Following User Groans At Geeko Sportivo For This Awful Post:

zymurgy (05-21-2023)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Dems passed the debt ceiling lift 3 times when Trump was in office. The reds are acting politically and sabotaging the economy believing the mess will be blamed on the Dems. The Reds are on the wrong side of huge issues, so they are creating another one. Deflection is all they have. They are likely to nominate a criminal and thief to run for president.
    And, the Republicans have passed one right now. It's sitting in the Senate where Democrats, led by that lying rat Schumer, have said it is "Dead on arrival" and won't even consider it, let alone vote on it. Joke has said several times he'll veto it. The problem at the moment is the Democrats won't even consider a compromise solution. They're demanding a blank check and that's the end of it for them. The Republicans want limits on spending tied to the increase in the debt limit.

The impasse, caused entirely by the intransigence of the Democrats is the problem. This time if the limit isn't fixed, it's 100% on the Democrats as they are unwilling to negotiate and compromise in good faith.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Callinectes (05-22-2023), ExpressLane (05-22-2023)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Biden thinks has the authority to challenge the constitution but he apparently lacks the authority to challenge the spendthrifts in his own party....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    You know who pays the Bills in most American Families?

Easy answer- WOMEN!

And women know best that when the bills come due- you have to pay them or things get cut off- No excuses- No exceptions.

So women know right now who is at fault in this debate.

This idea that the Republicans can refuse to raise the debt ceiling just to make Biden look bad- will backfire on the Republicans come election day.

Women are already pissed off at the Republicans for the way they ended Roe Vs. Wade, and this is only making them madder and madder!

Women are the largest voting bloc in America!
    What an idiotic analogy. Families can't arbitrarily and unilaterally raise their debt limit. That requires compromise with creditors.

The same goes for the federal government. The Republicans have passed a bill in the House to raise the debt limit. The Democrats in the Senate, led by that asshole Schumer, won't even consider it. Biden says he'll veto it. The problem isn't Republicans, it's Democrats.

It is typical of the assholes on the Left (like you) that refuse to compromise. Like the little kids you act like, you throw a tantrum and refuse all attempts to compromise and act like adults. Well, if the debt ceiling doesn't get raised, it's 100% on the Democrats this time for failing to negotiate, compromise, or do anything other than act like petulant six-year-olds.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,175 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What an idiotic analogy. Families can't arbitrarily and unilaterally raise their debt limit. That requires compromise with creditors.

The same goes for the federal government. The Republicans have passed a bill in the House to raise the debt limit. The Democrats in the Senate, led by that asshole Schumer, won't even consider it. Biden says he'll veto it. The problem isn't Republicans, it's Democrats.

It is typical of the assholes on the Left (like you) that refuse to compromise. Like the little kids you act like, you throw a tantrum and refuse all attempts to compromise and act like adults. Well, if the debt ceiling doesn't get raised, it's 100% on the Democrats this time for failing to negotiate, compromise, or do anything other than act like petulant six-year-olds.
    No, but, I remember times when I struggled to pay all my bills on time, due to lay-offs etc.

And some of those times, I realized I had gone over budget and spent more on my credit cards than I should have.

BUT......................I still had to pay my bills first- and then dealt with trimming my spending for the future- after the bills were paid.

There was no negotiating with my debtors- promising them I will spend less next month!

Had I refused, I would have ruined my credit and the lights would have been cut off.

Let's not forget, these are the bills due now, for things that Congress has already signed off for. That's water under the bridge now!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-21-2023 at 11:28 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-21-2023)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Biden is correct.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

The spending cuts the Republicans are asking for are minor and common sense stuff.

The democrats want no limitations on their spending

This is completely on them

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,930 Times in 11,517 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    President Biden said on Sunday that he believed he had the authority to challenge the constitutionality of the nation’s borrowing limit but that he did not believe such a challenge could succeed in time to avoid a default on federal debt if lawmakers did not raise the limit soon.

“I think we have the authority,” Mr. Biden said at a news conference after the Group of 7 summit in Hiroshima, Japan. “The question is could it be done and invoked in time.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/21/u...ebt-limit.html
    Biden discards the Constitution of the United States. He doesn't recognize it.
    Nothing in the Constitution describes a 'borrowing limit' or debt limit of any kind.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    And, the Republicans have passed one right now. It's sitting in the Senate where Democrats, led by that lying rat Schumer, have said it is "Dead on arrival" and won't even consider it, let alone vote on it. Joke has said several times he'll veto it. The problem at the moment is the Democrats won't even consider a compromise solution. They're demanding a blank check and that's the end of it for them. The Republicans want limits on spending tied to the increase in the debt limit.

The impasse, caused entirely by the intransigence of the Democrats is the problem. This time if the limit isn't fixed, it's 100% on the Democrats as they are unwilling to negotiate and compromise in good faith.
    You didn't seem to care about debt limits when Trump was in the WH, so why all of a sudden now?

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Biden thinks has the authority to challenge the constitution but he apparently lacks the authority to challenge the spendthrifts in his own party....
    I believe the spendthrifts pushed through $8 trillion in deficits during Trumps 4 years. Why did Trump challenge any of that spending?

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You didn't seem to care about debt limits when Trump was in the WH, so why all of a sudden now?
    They weren't a problem when Trump was in office. Now that limit is a problem, and one of the Democrat's making. They refuse to compromise, refuse to put forward any serious bill to deal with it, and are ignoring the bill the Republicans did pass and offer to solve the problem. Maybe you should start pinging on the Democrats for their childish refusal to compromise like I am.