Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: EXPERTS ARE PREDICTING AN ‘EXPLOSION’ OF INEXPENSIVE ELECTRIC CARS

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Do you have electricity in the apartment?
    I don’t have an apartment

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,168 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Theywillneverlearn! View Post
    Every time a lefty posts on this board it is quite apparent they do not have, nor never had a job. Fucking welfare collecting assholes.
    FUCK YOU IN THE ASS WHERE YOUR BUNK MATES FUCK YOU- SAILOR BOY!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (05-20-2023)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Building electric charging stations for apartments is easy. All you need is an electrical source which all apartment buildings have.

Simple.
    so a wire hanging down from the electric transformer is enough?.......might be a bit dangerous, though......

Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    You plug in when you go to sleep. Wake up. full charge.
    unless there's a brown out in California....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    Many people run out of gas so why wouldn’t they run out of charge also?
    fear?.....

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why would they all be charging at the same time? I have a Tesla Model Y and I charge my EV about once every two weeks. Charges overnight in the garage.
    I haven't been to a gas station in two years.
    some people go places.......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 05-20-2023 at 02:12 PM.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

I don’t have an apartment
    Your cardboard box?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (05-20-2023)

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

An EV would be a good option for a second car to toodle around town with but not as your main vehicle
    Joe Capitalist loves a good toodle.......

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

TA Garbler would rather buy an ICE car that is slower, requires more maintenance, is more expensive to maintain
    and explodes.
    tell us again when you need a new battery.......

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

thinks it can

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Building electric charging stations for apartments is easy. All you need is an electrical source which all apartment buildings have.

Simple.
    No, it's not. Your comments show an utter and complete ignorance of how apartment building electrical systems work.

See that? That's typical apartment meter and service entry panel--for 6 apartments in this case. Each apartment has its own meter and service disconnect breaker (under the square flap next to the meter). That breaker is usually an 80 or 100 amp 240 VAC single phase.

To install a charging system would require the installation of buried conduit, pulled THW wire suitable for the load, and then installation of the charging station. I'd guess, per station in an existing apartment complex of the sort I go to on service calls, that each station would run somewhere between $3000 and $5000 to install depending on the lengths of runs and how much concrete and asphalt has to be cut and replaced. It might run more. If there are issues with the service panel, or the panel has insufficient power in it to handle the extra load you're looking at another, roughly, $10,000 to replace it.

All of that is because the landlord doesn't pay for electricity. Each tenant pays their own bill off their own meter. Then there's the issue with theft. One tenant uses another tenant's charging station to charge their vehicle. The tenant who had electricity stolen would then have to sue the one that stole it, assuming they could figure out who it is. Or, someone who doesn't even live in the complex steals a charge and disappears. Good luck getting that back.

Then there's copper thieves, etc. The whole idea that you can put in masses of charging stations at an apartment complex is absurdly asinine and expensive. If the landlord is the one owning the stations and they charge per use, they could simply jack the rate per KWH charged through the rafters. You don't like it? Go somewhere else to charge. The landlord could easily justify it on the basis of theft and vandalism along with recouping the cost of installation.

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,020 Times in 8,278 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

If they can get charge time down to ten minutes then I would switch but here’s another problem

How long until people running charging stations start charging as much as gas costs?

Or even more?
    It is about supply and demand. If stations start charging too much, then people will charge more at home. There is no similar thing people can do if gas stations start charging too much.

Electricity gets you options. A lot is made that you can get electricity from gasoline easily, but think about this: can you get gasoline from electricity? If you do not have easy access to electricity through the grid(rare, but possible), you can easily use a portable generator to generate electricity from gasoline. If you do not have gasoline, but are connected to the electrical grid, you still do not have gasoline. If gasoline prices go up, but you still have cheap hydro electric power, you are going to have to pay through the nose for gasoline.

And if the oil companies who control how much the gas stations can charge jack up the prices, you are stuck paying higher prices or going nowhere.... Assuming you do not have an electric car.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

15. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It is about supply and demand. If stations start charging too much, then people will charge more at home. There is no similar thing people can do if gas stations start charging too much.

Electricity gets you options. A lot is made that you can get electricity from gasoline easily, but think about this: can you get gasoline from electricity? If you do not have easy access to electricity through the grid(rare, but possible), you can easily use a portable generator to generate electricity from gasoline. If you do not have gasoline, but are connected to the electrical grid, you still do not have gasoline. If gasoline prices go up, but you still have cheap hydro electric power, you are going to have to pay through the nose for gasoline.

And if the oil companies who control how much the gas stations can charge jack up the prices, you are stuck paying higher prices or going nowhere.... Assuming you do not have an electric car.
    If you can charge at home you do. It takes seconds to plug in and go inside from the garage. Plugging in elsewhere is just what you do if you go someplace and they have chargers in their lot. Then you my plug-in and top off. The electric company will help pay for chargers and they tell you when it is cheapest to plug in.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Walt (05-31-2023)

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

If stations start charging too much and you don't own a home, then what? Where do you go?

Hydroelectric power isn't available everywhere. In fact, it's quite limited. A portable generator using gasoline to charge your car is going to set you back $500 or more. Then you have to haul it to where you're going to use it. That means you better own a pickup truck, not a car.

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 119 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    FUCK YOU IN THE ASS WHERE YOUR BUNK MATES FUCK YOU- SAILOR BOY!
    Typical democrat "male". Right to all things homosexual. Go wipe your chin you old demented fuck.