Thread: Is digital technology making children’s lives better?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

Default Is digital technology making children’s lives better?

Children now have better access to information and more of it but it also requires less human interaction.

In your opinions is this a positive or negative for children?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,924 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

I suspect it's going to be a negative. A lot of things we need to know how to do, often simple things, are being subsumed by "smart" technology. Instead of knowing how to do it yourself, they come to rely on technology to do it for them.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Mixed bag as children now communicate through digital technology, internet and cell phones especially. Our grandchildren use it both to communicate and meet up. Personally I've never been a phone person mine is only on when cycling or the wife and I are on separate journeys. I do like the computer for email, news and looking up stuff. I find it hard to imagine my mom using it. We roamed about all day after chores or whatnot and only came home when evening came. Life was different in many ways. In a sense there was a kind of freedom unknown today.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9273128/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,924 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Mixed bag as children now communicate through digital technology, internet and cell phones especially. Our grandchildren use it both to communicate and meet up. Personally I've never been a phone person mine is only on when cycling or the wife and I are on separate journeys. I do like the computer for email, news and looking up stuff. I find it hard to imagine my mom using it. We roamed about all day after chores or whatnot and only came home when evening came. Life was different in many ways. In a sense there was a kind of freedom unknown today.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9273128/
    Some personal examples.

I took one of the grandkids on side work with me. I told him to drive the truck rather than me doing it. I told him the route verbally (the address was about 40 miles away). He wanted to use a map app on his phone because he couldn't grasp my verbal instructions and had no idea really were the highways and roads I mentioned were relative to where he was.

I have had to make it a rule for my hired help that they put their phones in their vehicles while working at a site. They become a nuisance and distraction for them, taking them away from productive work.

Kids have become welded to their smartphones, yet they really can't make use of them. Another grandkid wanted to know about cheaper hotels in San Diego near one of the beaches. I, having spent a lot of time in San Diego courtesy of the Navy, suggested some things. She became flustered because she couldn't translate my general information on beaches and areas of San Diego into results on cheap hotels. She seemed to expect the search engine, whatever she was using to do it all for her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

midcan5 (06-01-2023)