Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: God

1. #946 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    No wandering here. Straight progression from Sunday school and summer Bible camp kid to Science Fiction reading agnostic to full atheist (mainly due to Biblical inconsistencies compared to scientific fact) and then on a spiritual quest for enlightenment.
    Makes sense. The tension between science and religion I think is mostly a manufactured artifact of the last 150 years.

I decided that neither physics, nor math, nor Christianity, nor atheism have the truth locked down. I became aware that there is as much truth to be found in the Daodejing and the Sermon on the Mount, as there is in General relativity

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-25-2023)

3. #947 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    You’ll come around

Once you accept Jesus He will never leave you
    Dutch is another guy confusing organized religion with a personal relationship with God!
    What a blessing it was for me that I never went to church or religious study before an epiphany.
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

4. #948 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,618 Times in 51,913 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpeach View Post
    You’ll come around

Once you accept Jesus He will never leave you
    Come around to what, Tink? Hating Leftists, Blacks and Jews like the Alt-Right Christian Nationalists? I disagree.

The message of Jesus is with me. Why do you think it isn't? How can you say it's with you if you hate others?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #949 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melchizedek = Michael View Post
    Dutch is another guy confusing organized religion with a personal relationship with God!
    What a blessing it was for me that I never went to church or religious study before an epiphany.
    More hate and lies from someone who claims they have me on ignore. LOL

No worries, Mason. Unlike you, I don't hate you nor do I ignore you. You know why.

6. #950 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I became aware that there is as much truth to be found in the Daodejing and the Sermon on the Mount, as there is in General relativity
    Actually, you have come to believe this. Do you believe that something vague can be declared TRUE? For example, do you consider "wind and muave" to be TRUE?

Is the Tao TRUE?
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

7. #951 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    Actually, you have come to believe this. Do you believe that something vague can be declared TRUE? For example, do you consider "wind and muave" to be TRUE?

Is the Tao TRUE?
    I have a towel.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

8. #952 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is the Tao TRUE?
    You are so poorly read and incurious, that it's not surprising you would write this.

The Daodejing is first and foremost about right conduct and a way of cultivating a meaningful life. It does not require one to accept the reality of the Dao. To me, there is as much truth in the Daodejing as there was in my college physics textbooks; just a different kind of truth.

9. #953 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are so poorly read and incurious, that it's not surprising you would write this.

The Daodejing is first and foremost about right conduct and a way of cultivating a meaningful life. It does not require one to accept the reality of the Dao. To me, there is as much truth in the Daodejing as there was in my college physics textbooks; just a different kind of truth.
    Sybil's elevators no longer reach the penthouse.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (05-26-2023)

11. #954 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Whenever your response to a question begins like this, it's just your way of admitting that you have no sort of valid answer, that you were hoping no one would ever ask the question to begin with and that you are desperate to change the subject with a quick pivot..

The Daodejing is first and foremost about right conduct and a way of cultivating a meaningful life.
    Do you think it is TRUE? Yes, you get minimum credit for the standard pivot and attempt to change the subject, but now let's get back to my question.

Do you think something vague and undefined can be TRUE? If so, you need to explain how this can be so. If not, you need to explain your statement about there being so much truth in the Daodejing.

I'll stipulate all your obligatory statements about how I don't know anything. Now, would you mind actually explaining your gibberish for a change?

It does not require one to accept the reality of the Dao.
    Please explain this reality that the Dao supposedly has and whether you believe that it is TRUE.

To me, there is as much truth in the Daodejing as there was in my college physics textbooks
    Yes, you've said this already. It doesn't make any sense. I'm trying to get you to explain this comment of yours.

Also, what truth are you claiming was in your college physics textbooks? I'm willing to stipulate that your physics textbooks are full of models that have not yet been shown to be FALSE, but I'm dying to know what content has been confirmed to be TRUE.

just a different kind of truth.
    Please explain. Are you talking about the kind of truth that is FALSE. I don't know what you mean.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

12. #955 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    I have a towel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IBDaMann For This Post:

Lightbringer (05-26-2023)

14. #956 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

-- meaningless blather and mental illness ensues --.
    I'll accept your tacit confession that you really had absolutely no idea what the Daodejing was about or what was written in it, you just wanted to write something you thought would sound clever.

15. #957 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'll accept your tacit confession that you really had absolutely no idea what the Daodejing was about or what was written in it, you just wanted to write something you thought would sound clever.
    Sybil lives on a different plane than most people. He's "out there".

Like most respected ancient texts, there's a lot of deep thought and truth in the Dao de jing. http://www.fang.ece.ufl.edu/daodejing.pdf

That said, it's not perfect nor the end all of human philosophy. Definitely worth a week or two of discussion in a philosophy class.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (05-26-2023)

17. #958 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Sybil lives on a different plane than most people. He's "out there".

Like most respected ancient texts, there's a lot of deep thought and truth in the Dao de jing. http://www.fang.ece.ufl.edu/daodejing.pdf

That said, it's not perfect nor the end all of human philosophy. Definitely worth a week or two of discussion in a philosophy class.
    For sure. I don't think physics, mathmatics, Daoism, or Plato, etc. have the truth locked down. But in my opinion, they each have a piece of
    the truth.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-26-2023)

19. #959 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whenever your response to a question begins like this, it's just your way of admitting that you have no sort of valid answer, that you were hoping no one would ever ask the question to begin with and that you are desperate to change the subject with a quick pivot..

Do you think it is TRUE? Yes, you get minimum credit for the standard pivot and attempt to change the subject, but now let's get back to my question.

Do you think something vague and undefined can be TRUE? If so, you need to explain how this can be so. If not, you need to explain your statement about there being so much truth in the Daodejing.

I'll stipulate all your obligatory statements about how I don't know anything. Now, would you mind actually explaining your gibberish for a change?

Please explain this reality that the Dao supposedly has and whether you believe that it is TRUE.

Yes, you've said this already. It doesn't make any sense. I'm trying to get you to explain this comment of yours.

Also, what truth are you claiming was in your college physics textbooks? I'm willing to stipulate that your physics textbooks are full of models that have not yet been shown to be FALSE, but I'm dying to know what content has been confirmed to be TRUE.

Please explain. Are you talking about the kind of truth that is FALSE. I don't know what you mean.
    Cypress "Can't handle the truth".
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

20. #960 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

For sure. I don't think physics, mathmatics, Daoism, or Plato, etc. have the truth locked down. But in my opinion, they each have a piece of
    the truth.
    Agreed. A different facet of the truth.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (05-26-2023)