Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shootings = symptoms of a much worse problem

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

The Coddling of the American Mind is one of the better books I have ever read.

It speaks to the issues of social media and why we have the rising rates of anxiety and depression. The authors as college professors have seen it first hand in the kids they teach and what has changed. Really eye opening.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,739 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    We have to live with a lot of things lots of people don't like

It's not accepting it's balancing rights against risks. That's what has to be accepted like it or not
    More and more children will die every day

As weapons get more deadly more children will be turned to hamberger in their little school seats

Some are just fine with that

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

It speaks to the issues of social media and why we have the rising rates of anxiety and depression. The authors as college professors have seen it first hand in the kids they teach and what has changed. Really eye opening.
    If they are not hambergerized in school first

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foun...and_Expression

President
    Greg Lukianoff

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 6,870 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

I will check it out. I'm very interested in that topic in general.

It's easy to imagine future generations looking back at how we handled social media, and being like, 'what were they even thinking?' Like it's so obvious that the current set-up is hurting us and has a very negative impact. The idea that we should just allow all of it because "free speech" is so sacred completely lacks common sense.

But, admittedly, I do hate the idea of big government restrictions or "bannings" of any kind. Maybe we'll evolve to a point where we all just get tired of it, and everyone decides to be nice? I don't know. Just being goofy. But I think we'll figure it out, eventually.

7. The Following User Groans At BartenderElite For This Awful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (03-29-2023)

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post

It's easy to imagine future generations looking back at how we handled social media, and being like, 'what were they even thinking?' Like it's so obvious that the current set-up is hurting us and has a very negative impact. The idea that we should just allow all of it because "free speech" is so sacred completely lacks common sense.

But, admittedly, I do hate the idea of big government restrictions or "bannings" of any kind. Maybe we'll evolve to a point where we all just get tired of it, and everyone decides to be nice? I don't know. Just being goofy. But I think we'll figure it out, eventually.
    The book is spectacular and it also hits on how we raise our kids these days (which hits home for me having a little one). Long gone are the days of just sending kids outside and saying be home by dinner. Now it’s about never letting them out of your sight for a second. They go into how this has hurt child development and ultimately their skills at handling different situations in life and so forth. I’m not doing it justice but it should almost be must reading.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Clearly, it's gun violence. But most Democrats focus on the gun itself. There is so much more at play here.

Thus, the OP title. We're a sick nation right now.
    Was the gun itself an accessory to the crime?

Did the gun itself aid and abet the shooter?

Is that particular gun itself the weapon of choice and used in just about every Mass Shooting these days?

So if it were a person that aided and abetted the shooter, and was also an accessory to the crime, would we want to arrest them and end their access to the public as well?

But since it was an assault weapon instead of a person that was an accesory to this crime, and aided and abetted the Killer, and 99% of all the other 1,000's of mass murders, it's fair game to be used over and over again in even more mass shootings?

If the answer is YES, Well then FUCK ME RUNNING! What was I thinking? Yes, I see what you are saying about us being a FUCKED UP NATION!

SIGN ME UP FOR THE N-Fucking-RA!

If you can't beat them- LET'S ALL JOIN THEM!

Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 03-28-2023 at 08:26 PM.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,305 Times in 10,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Social media, in all its iterations in this country (and the world) has always had its dark and vicious side. Lies, distortions and the sort have always been used.

It’s the ability, at the speed of light, to instantaneously spread that toxicity to a huge audience that’s the difference. It allows people to marginalize and dehumanize anyone or any group they wish and still maintain anonymity. I see so much radicalization, even on this forum, with no accountability. Social media has become somewhat of a “Pillars of Creation” for extremism.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-28-2023), Guno צְבִי (03-28-2023)

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

All you're doing here is trying to find an example to back up "it's not the guns."

Kind of what I was talking about in the OP.
    Stop trying to imply that guns are walking around killing people of their own volition.

It's NOT the guns; it's the Democrats.

if we disarm democrats, the murder rate would drop by 90%, especially in our major democrat urban areas.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

The Sage of Main Street (03-29-2023)

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Social media, in all its iterations in this country (and the world) has always had its dark and vicious side. Lies, distortions and the sort have always been used.

It’s the ability, at the speed of light, to instantaneously spread that toxicity to a huge audience that’s the difference. It allows people to marginalize and dehumanize anyone or any group they wish and still maintain anonymity. I see so much radicalization, even on this forum, with no accountability. Social media has become somewhat of a “Pillars of Creation” for extremism.
    On a more granular level just how it affects kids and their daily interactions with other and so forth. I don’t think a single one of us on this board grew up having to deal with that. (Not to mention the number of kids today who want to grow up to be ‘social media influencers’.)

Regarding this board it has changed a lot over the past decade and unfortunately not in a good way. Very toxic environment and you’re right, there is extremism here.

16. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Stop trying to imply that guns are walking around killing people of their own volition.

It's NOT the guns; it's the Democrats.

if we disarm democrats, the murder rate would drop by 90%, especially in our major democrat urban areas.
    You are insane!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-28-2023)

18. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

The book is spectacular and it also hits on how we raise our kids these days (which hits home for me having a little one). Long gone are the days of just sending kids outside and saying be home by dinner. Now it’s about never letting them out of your sight for a second. They go into how this has hurt child development and ultimately their skills at handling different situations in life and so forth. I’m not doing it justice but it should almost be must reading.
    Off-topic, but how's the Princess doing? Is she in grade school yet?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

19. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Off-topic, but how's the Princess doing? Is she in grade school yet?
    Six years old and in kindergarten, thank you!! She went through a little anti-Daddy phase (she made up a song that went “only Mommy, no Daddy”) but fortunately that passed. Haha. Now she’s loving me and I am having the time of my life.

She also a big sports fan! Both in playing and watching (wife is from Texas and is a Cowboys fan but so far I’ve succeeded in raising her a 49ers fan. LOL.).

We’ve always heard the benefit of playing sports for boys but it’s really no different for girls so I’m ecstatic that she’s so into it. It’s so much fun!!