1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I notice all the proposals Republicans have come up with to turn SS into some kind of private stock market investment always studiously make sure that their parents and their peers are protected, and privatization only effects younger people.
    Any kind of bait-and-switch come-on they can use will be attempted. Reminds of the 'great tax break' from Trump, where the tax cuts for the super-rich and big corporations are permanent but the ones for everybody else run out in 2027, fast approaching. Gotcha!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (03-27-2023), Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Countless people have benefited greatly from Social Security over the years; it's regrettable that The GOP wants to end SS.
    Lock Him Up

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Cypress (03-27-2023), Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Republicans try to appeal to younger voters by painting SS and Medicare as "entitlements" that were not earned, but given to them by currently-employed workers. There is just enough truth in that to appeal to the stupider ones.

The problem with turning SS into a 401(k) type scheme is the vagaries of the markets. What happens if the markets -- and all that money the government invested for you -- are down at the time you decide to retire? Either you accept less pay-out, or you continue working. The current scheme has concrete payouts which allows employees more freedom in deciding when to hang it up. There is no risk-taking. And you don't end up having to move in with one of your kids.

\
    Continuing working is not always such a great option. Many people intend to do so only to get laid off before they can reach their intended retirement plan age. Age-discrimination is very common. Older workers have accrued seniority, full paid vacation time every year, and increasing health care expenses. Many an employer considers letting them go only to replace them with younger workers who are paid less, begin with no paid vacation, and don't have as many health issues. An attractive way for shameless for-profit non-human corporations to cut labor costs and increase profits.

Who cares what they may virtually 'owe' a worker who has dedicated their life to the employer? If it's not in writing, then it is not legally binding.

Toss the old to the curb.

Do not let their conscience disturb.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,681 Times in 27,326 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Countless people have benefited greatly from Social Security over the years; it's regrettable that The GOP wants to end SS.
    SS also served as a model for the rest of the developed world, resulting in an enormous benefit to the welfare of humanity at large.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023), Trumpet (03-27-2023)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,401 Times in 53,278 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Continuing working is not always such a great option. Many people intend to do so only to get laid off before they can reach their intended retirement plan age. Age-discrimination is very common. Older workers have accrued seniority, full paid vacation time every year, and increasing health care expenses. Many an employer considers letting them go only to replace them with younger workers who are paid less, begin with no paid vacation, and don't have as many health issues. An attractive way for shameless for-profit non-human corporations to cut labor costs and increase profits.

Who cares what they may virtually 'owe' a worker who has dedicated their life to the employer? If it's not in writing, then it is not legally binding.

Toss the old to the curb.

Do not let their conscience disturb.
    You are exactly right. My husband spent his entire working career in IT with the same company. He planned to retire at age 60 or so. Three years before that could happen, he and several other long-time employees were laid off. They were replaced with H1B visa workers from India, who were paid far less and who received few benefits. As an incentive not to sue the company (a large national insurance company), they were offered six months salary and two years' health insurance if they would sign an agreement not to sue for age discrimination. They all accepted. We were more fortunate than many people in the same situation, including some of his former coworkers. He walked out CIGNA's door and right into a better-paying IT position with another company. We used the severance to pay off the house, he retired at age 60, and we moved up here.

Imagine though if you were a person with a physical type job like construction, nursing, electrician, police officer, assembly line, etc. who found working more and more physically difficult as you aged. You plan to retire as soon as possible because your body is failing you. But the Republicans took away social security and put your retirement benefits in the market, which was way down by the time you planned to hang it up. What then? My guess is that you'd see a large number of new applications for social security disability, assuming, that is that the Republicans hadn't destroyed that as well.

Ironically, the people most likely to be financially harmed by the (R) scheme are the same ones who typically vote for them.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (03-27-2023), Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), PoliTalker (03-27-2023)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

You are exactly right. My husband spent his entire working career in IT with the same company. He planned to retire at age 60 or so. Three years before that could happen, he and several other long-time employees were laid off. They were replaced with H1B visa workers from India, who were paid far less and who received few benefits. As an incentive not to sue the company (a large national insurance company), they were offered six months salary and two years' health insurance if they would sign an agreement not to sue for age discrimination. They all accepted. We were more fortunate than many people in the same situation, including some of his former coworkers. He walked out CIGNA's door and right into a better-paying IT position with another company. We used the severance to pay off the house, he retired at age 60, and we moved up here.

Imagine though if you were a person with a physical type job like construction, nursing, electrician, police officer, assembly line, etc. who found working more and more physically difficult as you aged. You plan to retire as soon as possible because your body is failing you. But the Republicans took away social security and put your retirement benefits in the market, which was way down by the time you planned to hang it up. What then? My guess is that you'd see a large number of new applications for social security disability, assuming, that is that the Republicans hadn't destroyed that as well.
    I have yet to understand why the party that normally appeals more to the older American (GOP) would make so much noise about eliminating or limiting Social Security. I get that they want to shift everything over to the "free market" where someone else can make some scratch off of it rather than having it "help" people, but why would they needlessly antagonize the only voting base they can usually count on is beyond me.

But corporate America already offloaded their pension obligations in preference to 401k's and forcing everyone into the "stock market" so that they could bankroll the finance folks to play fun "games" with the money and occasionally crater the economy, so I guess telling Americans that we are OFFICIALLY back in the "Gilded Age" is how the whole game plays out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Saint Guinefort For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023)

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your word can't be trusted.

Provide a link to a reputable mainstream news source

Your total SS benefit is calculated based on your wage income
    So Georgie's privilege gets him more money than a grandmother? That doesnt seem fair now does it?
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance" - Noam Chomsky

"Leftists actually think everyone is as stupid as a leftist." - Yakuda

"No, Trump isn't a fascist, tatt boy." - moon

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lifetime-benefit, starting at age 62:

Retire @ 62 - $2,102/month
    Retire @ 65 - $2,683/month
    Retire @ 67 - $3,161/month
    Retire @ 70 - $4,022/month
    Whered you get these numbers?

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Whered you get these numbers?
    SS.gov.
    Those are my SS benefits based on my work history.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Ironically, the people most likely to be financially harmed by the (R) scheme are the same ones who typically vote for them.
    They are told they might get a better benefit through the market. What they are not told is that entails greater risk. There simply is not greater ROI without greater risk. The financial gurus know this but are quiet about it when championing a market-based system to replace SS.

The beauty of SS is that it is a secure system.

The only thing it needs is more young workers. And guess what? They are clamoring to get into the USA and fulfill that role. Republicans are very fearful of this because they might all vote Democrat. So they are dehumanized and blamed for the things the rich and powerful have done to workers. And Fox viewers bought it hook line and sinker.

It's so easy to sell hatred to the rumor-driven misinformed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is a fantastic system. For those who think not having it would be better, they need only look at how many seniors passed into destitution after they were too old to work before Social Security. It is the very reason the system was created.
    First it's a.ponzi scheme. Next every dollar stolen from me for this ponzi scheme would have been better invested by me than the govt. Lastly lots of people out live what they "contributed" and that strains the system.

20. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So Georgie's privilege gets him more money than a grandmother? That doesnt seem fair now does it?
    SS is calculated based on your work history, that's fair.

You might be the first person in history to demand everyone get exactly the same SS benefit.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First it's a.ponzi scheme. Next every dollar stolen from me for this ponzi scheme would have been better invested by me than the govt. Lastly lots of people out live what they "contributed" and that strains the system.

You've been duped by rightwing media personalities.

I was also told 40 years ago that SS wouldn't be there for me when I retired.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (03-27-2023)

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

SS is calculated based on your work history, that's fair.

You might be the first person in history to demand everyone get exactly the same SS benefit.
    Why not? It's expected everywhere else. George's privilege as a white man unfairly allowed him to make more money than a grandmother. If that's fair then people who work more hours than others and earn more as a result is fair.

25. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

They are told they might get a better benefit through the market.
    Yup. We all heard that. And the minute I hear that some finance-obsessed bean counter has to do the same job as me to not retire in penury I'll believe that it is a fair system.

What they are not told is that entails greater risk. There simply is not greater ROI without greater risk. The financial gurus know this but are quiet about it when championing a market-based system to replace SS.
    As one commentator I once heard say: we are all forced into the stock market in order to provide the capital that finance folks play their risky games with. They need the unwashed masses putting money into the system. And since not every person in the US is a financial maven the financial sector games players are counting on that money just sitting there.

I have no clue how to read the stock market but my entire future existence is a function of that. That's why I want finance people to have to do MY JOB as well so they can face this kind of fear.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Saint Guinefort For This Post:

PoliTalker (03-27-2023)