Thread: Future of College Sports - NIL/Transfer Portal

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Princeton down 47-43 at the half.
    Creighton to the Elite 8 for the first time in school history 86-75. Just like I said !
    Princeton covered, Creighton altered their game plan at half, adjusted to monopolize what Princeton was giving them, Princeton just didn’t the athletes to change

Creighton is a smart team, good coach, although I don’t know how they’ll match up with the football teams they would have to face going forward, depends on the referees. The Big East has probably been the second best conference all year

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Players have been receiving illegal benefits forever. It's just a reality. (If you ever watched the ESPN 30 For 30 on college football in the '80's it was wild for what boosters were offering kids.) It's forever a cat and mouse game between the schools, boosters and the NCAA as to what they can get away with.

N.I.L. is at least attempting to bring it above ground.
    Sure there were “benefits,” but some schools were exorbitant in their “benefits,” and the NCAA was ruled by school chancellors/presidents, largely from State schools, who turned a blind eye to a lot of which was going on. I know in basketball it was usually the private school who were the ones “caught” and penalized

NIL’s, manipulation of NIL, opportunity cost is far greater than merits “bringing it above ground”

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Sure there were “benefits,” but some schools were exorbitant in their “benefits,” and the NCAA was ruled by school chancellors/presidents, largely from State schools, who turned a blind eye to a lot of which was going on. I know in basketball it was usually the private school who were the ones “caught” and penalized

NIL’s, manipulation of NIL, opportunity cost is far greater than merits “bringing it above ground”
    They've tried the unionization route and its gone nowhere. If you google, there are good articles breaking down why it didn't, and won't, happen. So with that off the table you have to deal with what's in front of you. The Ed O'Bannon ruling was a game changer. Right now it's the wild wild west with the N.I.L. because its so new and people are trying to figure what's acceptable and what's not. Hopefully something will be put in place soon offering more guidance.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They've tried the unionization route and its gone nowhere. If you google, there are good articles breaking down why it didn't, and won't, happen. So with that off the table you have to deal with what's in front of you. The Ed O'Bannon ruling was a game changer. Right now it's the wild wild west with the N.I.L. because its so new and people are trying to figure what's acceptable and what's not. Hopefully something will be put in place soon offering more guidance.
    Unionization didn’t work, and it was only attempted minimally, because the efforts weren’t aimed at full unionization but rather an altered model, besides, last thing the schools, NCAA’s, would want is athletes organized, so it never had a chance

Your as naive as Mick Cronin, there isn’t going to be guidance, the last thing the schools profiting off of NIL, which not ironically were the same ones from enriching themselves from prior “benefits,” are going to return to oversight

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Players have been receiving illegal benefits forever. It's just a reality. (If you ever watched the ESPN 30 For 30 on college football in the '80's it was wild for what boosters were offering kids.) It's forever a cat and mouse game between the schools, boosters and the NCAA as to what they can get away with.

N.I.L. is at least attempting to bring it above ground.

I was watching all that real time in the 80's and yes it was wild and wooly !
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

cawacko (03-26-2023)

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Princeton covered, Creighton altered their game plan at half, adjusted to monopolize what Princeton was giving them, Princeton just didn’t the athletes to change

Creighton is a smart team, good coach, although I don’t know how they’ll match up with the football teams they would have to face going forward, depends on the referees. The Big East has probably been the second best conference all year
    Creighton started hitting shots and Princton started missing but yes, adjustments favored the Blue Jays.

Now they get San Diego State who are a legit team favored -2.5. Should be a good game to watch.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    I was watching all that real time in the 80's and yes it was wild and wooly !
    Cars, money, trailer park homes, jobs you didn't have to show up for etc. It was the wild wild west. Almost everyone was doing it yet they decided to fvck SMU the hardest. That program has never really recovered which is why you'll never see a penalty that harsh again.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cars, money, trailer park homes, jobs you didn't have to show up for etc. It was the wild wild west. Almost everyone was doing it yet they decided to fvck SMU the hardest. That program has never really recovered which is why you'll never see a penalty that harsh again.
    I was an Oklahoma fan back then and I loved how the cops had to go to the football dorm to make the players stop firing Uzis out the windows.

Remember when they sent Mike Kryschevski (I know the spelling is wrong) got sent to please with the university presidents after they slashed scholarships due to this mess ? (they hit basketball and football) He got laughed out of the room.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

cawacko (03-26-2023)