Thread: Theology Question

1. #1051 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Okay, you are unable to be adult enough to acknowledge being wrong.

That happens. It often changes as one matures.

Let's hope.
    His career in geochemistry seems to come with a lot of stress.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Frank Apisa (05-14-2023)

3. #1052 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    Atheism is not a belief. By claiming this, you're suggesting a false equivalence between theism and atheism. There is no observable phenomenon to justify theism as a respectable stance.
    Atheism is a belief, a certainty of something where the information given does not "prove" what they are certain of... That's not just a belief, it is faith.

Personally I believe that it doesn't matter if there is/are a god/s or not. What you say or do would not matter. This idea that this tiny place is the focus of all these beings, or a singular being, is absurd when you consider the size and depth of the universe.

When asked if God exists I would answer: I don't think it matters if I believe that God exists, it would not change whether or not this being or beings existed.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-13-2023), Frank Apisa (05-14-2023)

5. #1053 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Wouldn't it be less of a stretch to assume that deities don't exist than to define them with contrived and confusing attributes?
    No.

6. #1054 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Atheism is a belief
    Then so is typing on a keyboard a belief.

7. #1055 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Then so is typing on a keyboard a belief.
    No. One is a fact, the other a belief.

We see the result of the action we take, this is a fact. A belief, on the other hand, is predicated and taken with faulty information. You do not have proof that a supernatural being doesn't exist, nor do they that he does. It takes an equal amount of faith to believe in one or the other.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #1056 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No. One is a fact, the other a belief.

We see the result of the action we take, this is a fact. A belief, on the other hand, is predicated and taken with faulty information. You do not have proof that a supernatural being doesn't exist, nor do they that he does. It takes an equal amount of faith to believe in one or the other.
    We learn to think about God based on the teaching of a church. Then we learn what ancient jews believed about God and are told to practice this. There is a history of theology explaining the nature of God and how to think about God.

Then the church says God exists and you can believe it or reject it. Or reject the whole notion that God is what jews 2000 years ago believed.

9. #1057 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We learn to think about God based on the teaching of a church. Then we learn what ancient jews believed about God and are told to practice this. There is a history of theology explaining the nature of God and how to think about God.

Then the church says God exists and you can believe it or reject it. Or reject the whole notion that God is what jews 2000 years ago believed.
    Yes, faulty information. And again you fail to see any possibility of a different belief system.

Anyway, no "proof" of the existence or the absence of a god or gods exists. Therefore a certainty in either state is simply faith, or what I like to call "wishful".

I don't know if a god exists. I don't think one does, but I have no certainty of either state. Because proof actually matters to me.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

10. #1058 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And again you fail to see any possibility of a different belief system.
    Exactly the opposite--if you understood what I wrote.

11. #1059 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly the opposite--if you understood what I wrote.
    What you wrote only says that you believe that the only possibility is either the Christian Faith or the Atheist Faith. This is the false dichotomy fallacy in full color. It isn't the "opposite" it is just another logical fallacy.

What I said withstands scrutiny, your fallacious argument notwithstanding.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #1060 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Anyway, no "proof" of the existence or the absence of a god or gods exists.
    The concept of God as a proposition was invented by the Catholic Church. Catholic theologians invented the concept of God which is the object of belief or truth.

13. #1061 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What you wrote only says that you believe that the only possibility is either the Christian Faith or the Atheist Faith.
    Your inference. And it is wrong.

14. #1062 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What you wrote only says that you believe that the only possibility is either the Christian Faith or the Atheist Faith. This is the false dichotomy fallacy in full color. It isn't the "opposite" it is just another logical fallacy.

What I said withstands scrutiny, your fallacious argument notwithstanding.
    You completely misread what I wrote.

15. #1063 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The concept of God as a proposition was invented by the Catholic Church. Catholic theologians invented the concept of God which is the object of belief or truth.
    Again, this is preposterous. The concept of God/gods existed even before the Hebrews roamed the land. Your fallacy continues, you can't even roam from the false dichotomy. Your anemic argument does not take into account any other option than that of this false dilemma. Choose between this pine cone, or that pine needle, don't look at the deciduous trees, they don't exist!

The reality is, there are infinite beliefs that are possible to have, all of which take faith. The only one that doesn't take faith is the belief that we do not have enough evidence to rule one way or the other.

Do I think there is a god? No. Am I certain? Of course not. Do I think it matters either way? Not particularly.

I can believe that a god exists and still think that the God of the Hebrew and Christian Bible does not exist (I don't, but many folks do), and I can believe that gods or god doesn't exist even if I have never heard of the god of the Christian and Hebrew bibles. And I would still be making the same leap of faith.

Saying that you have only "believe this or that" when there are infinite choices of equally faithful (wishful) belief systems is absurd.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

16. #1064 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,177 Times in 14,713 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

If God is all powerful, why can God not make everyone happy? If God created the entire universe, why not create a utopia?

If God cannot make everyone happy, God is not all powerful.
    If God can make everyone happy and does not, God is cruel and petty.

Solution, God is not all powerful and cannot make everyone happy.

Even God has limits to power.
    Free will /next question.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

17. #1065 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Again, this is preposterous. The concept of God/gods existed even before the Hebrews roamed the land.
    Name the people, nation and religion that existed before the Hebrews that had exactly the same understanding of God. And what was it? You tell me.