Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No, the devil does not appear in the Garden of Eden — or anywhere in the Hebrew Bible

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,835 Times in 14,177 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default No, the devil does not appear in the Garden of Eden — or anywhere in the Hebrew Bible

No, the devil does not appear in the Garden of Eden — or anywhere in the Hebrew Bible

No, the doctrine of the Trinity does not appear in any of the earliest versions of the First Epistle of John. (It first shows up in a manuscript from the 14th century.)

No, Jesus did not believe the righteous go to heaven. More likely he thought God would physically resurrect the dead as part of a new kingdom on Earth. (a Jewish concept)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hi...864f0a2c2ace09

Bart Ehrman

Born on October 5, 1955, Ehrman grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, and attended Lawrence High School, where he was on the state champion debate team in 1973. He began studying the Bible, biblical theology, and biblical languages at Moody Bible Institute,[1] where he earned the school's three-year diploma in 1976.[2] He is a 1978 graduate of Wheaton College in Illinois, where he received his bachelor's degree. He received his PhD (in 1985) and MDiv from Princeton Theological Seminary, where he studied textual criticism of the Bible, development of the New Testament canon and New Testament apocrypha under Bruce Metzger. Both baccalaureate and doctorate were conferred magna cum laude.[3]

Career
    Ehrman was raised in an Anglican family and was originally a member of the Episcopal Church of the United States; as a teenager, he became a born-again evangelical.[1][4][5] In Misquoting Jesus, he recounts being certain in his youthful enthusiasm that God had inspired the wording of the Bible and protected its texts from all error.[1][4] His desire to understand the original words of the Bible led him to study ancient languages, particularly Koine Greek, and textual criticism. During such studies at Princeton, however, he became convinced that there are contradictions and discrepancies in the biblical manuscripts that could not be harmonized or reconciled:[1]

I did my very best to hold on to my faith that the Bible was the inspired word of God with no mistakes and that lasted for about two years [...] I realized that at the time we had over 5,000 manuscripts of the New Testament, and no two of them are exactly alike. The scribes were changing them, sometimes in big ways, but lots of times in little ways. And it finally occurred to me that if I really thought that God had inspired this text [...] If he went to the trouble of inspiring the text, why didn't he go to the trouble of preserving the text? Why did he allow scribes to change it?[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 02-11-2023 at 07:50 PM.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-13-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ehrman already has a plan for his next book. It will be about charity. He said the Jewish idea of giving to the poor — adopted by Jesus — was entirely alien to the Greek and Roman world. And yet, when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, it became the gold standard of ethics.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    No, the devil does not appear in the Garden of Eden — or anywhere in the Hebrew Bible

No, the doctrine of the Trinity does not appear in any of the earliest versions of the First Epistle of John. (It first shows up in a manuscript from the 14th century.)

No, Jesus did not believe the righteous go to heaven. More likely he thought God would physically resurrect the dead as part of a new kingdom on Earth. (a Jewish concept)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hi...864f0a2c2ace09

Bart Ehrman

Born on October 5, 1955, Ehrman grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, and attended Lawrence High School, where he was on the state champion debate team in 1973. He began studying the Bible, biblical theology, and biblical languages at Moody Bible Institute,[1] where he earned the school's three-year diploma in 1976.[2] He is a 1978 graduate of Wheaton College in Illinois, where he received his bachelor's degree. He received his PhD (in 1985) and MDiv from Princeton Theological Seminary, where he studied textual criticism of the Bible, development of the New Testament canon and New Testament apocrypha under Bruce Metzger. Both baccalaureate and doctorate were conferred magna cum laude.[3]

Career
    Ehrman was raised in an Anglican family and was originally a member of the Episcopal Church of the United States; as a teenager, he became a born-again evangelical.[1][4][5] In Misquoting Jesus, he recounts being certain in his youthful enthusiasm that God had inspired the wording of the Bible and protected its texts from all error.[1][4] His desire to understand the original words of the Bible led him to study ancient languages, particularly Koine Greek, and textual criticism. During such studies at Princeton, however, he became convinced that there are contradictions and discrepancies in the biblical manuscripts that could not be harmonized or reconciled:[1]

I did my very best to hold on to my faith that the Bible was the inspired word of God with no mistakes and that lasted for about two years [...] I realized that at the time we had over 5,000 manuscripts of the New Testament, and no two of them are exactly alike. The scribes were changing them, sometimes in big ways, but lots of times in little ways. And it finally occurred to me that if I really thought that God had inspired this text [...] If he went to the trouble of inspiring the text, why didn't he go to the trouble of preserving the text? Why did he allow scribes to change it?[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman
    Your religion is pure. God like Jews more than everyone else.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,100 Times in 12,627 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,440 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries

The point is?
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ehrman already has a plan for his next book. It will be about charity. He said the Jewish idea of giving to the poor — adopted by Jesus — was entirely alien to the Greek and Roman world. And yet, when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, it became the gold standard of ethics.
    So government does not need to take care of its own people.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,675 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I liked the Prophet Amos because he really spoke to social injustice and inequity.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

I thought there was still a question as to the Johannine Comma. Erasmus couldn't find it in the manuscripts he had, but someone ultimately showed him one that contained it. I don't know if that was a forgery or if Erasmus has simply failed to have the right manuscripts.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovoJank View Post
    I thought there was still a question as to the Johannine Comma. Erasmus couldn't find it in the manuscripts he had, but someone ultimately showed him one that contained it. I don't know if that was a forgery or if Erasmus has simply failed to have the right manuscripts.
    In the early centuries of the church, Christians felt under attack from all sides. They were in conflict with Jews and pagans over the validity of their religion ... but the hottest debates were with other Christians, as they argued over the right thing to believe and the rights ways to live.
    Thus Christians aiming to authorize views they wanted others to accept wrote in the name of the Apostles, fabricating, falsifying and forging documents.

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,127 Times in 33,842 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,082 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovoJank View Post
    Erasmus was shown an earlier Greek manuscript with the quote? I can not find evidence of this. He was writing the Greek New Testament, he was shown the Latin Vulgate, but no early Greek manuscripts contained the verse.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Erasmus was shown an earlier Greek manuscript with the quote? I can not find evidence of this. He was writing the Greek New Testament, he was shown the Latin Vulgate, but no early Greek manuscripts contained the verse.
    It may be that he was only "told" such a thing existed. But he was also being accused of reviving the Arian heresy at the time so he might have been "pressured" into it. I don't know the details. Just thought I had read somewhere that he had been shown a manuscript.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 1 2023 For This Post:

Phantasmal (02-13-2023)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Your religion is pure. God like Jews more than everyone else.
    Not true! God chose the Jews to tell his story through
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I AM,I AM's,AM I View Post
    Not true! God chose the Jews to tell his story through
    And the moon is made of cheese.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And the moon is made of cheese.
    Go with that ,see where it takes you
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I AM,I AM's,AM I View Post
    Go with that ,see where it takes you
    Same place your stupid claim does.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Same place your stupid claim does.
    Ok smart ass,explain what sets Jews apart?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I