Thread: Washington State moving to strip citizens of our voice

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Washington State moving to strip citizens of our voice

OLYMPIA, Wash. — A bill that would repeal advisory votes in Washington state was approved by the Senate on Wednesday.

If approved, Senate Bill 5082 would eliminate the requirement of placing the non-binding votes on ballots if there is legislative action raising taxes in certain situations. The bill goes to the House for consideration next.

Advisory votes began in 2008 with the enactment of Initiative 960, backed by anti-tax activist Tim Eyman. The intention was to give voters a voice when it comes to government spending.

Instead of advisory votes, the Senate-approved bill would require the creation of a public website with summaries of government spending and require statements be published online with information about legislation that impacts state revenue. It also asks that a QR code and website address be placed on voters' pamphlets so voters can easily access the information.

The legislation was proposed proposed by Redmond-based nonprofit Northwest Progressive Institute.

The bill's primary sponsor is Sen. Patty Kuderer, D-Bellevue.

“In a state that leads the nation in voting accessibility and election integrity, it baffles me that we still waste millions of dollars on a corrupt act of voter suppression like advisory votes,” Kuderer said in a statement.

A statement from Northwest Progressive Institute released after the Senate's passage of the bill calls advisory votes "anti-tax messages dressed up to look like ballot measures." The bill would "eliminate a barrier to voting in Washington by liberating our ballots from being polluted by Eyman's propaganda ... saving taxpayers millions of dollars every year in ballot design, printing, and tabulation costs."
    https://www.king5.com/article/news/p...f-d99925b5cc07

Of course the WOKE Revolution lies their asses off about what they are doing and why.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't be silly, no citizens are being stripped of their voice... nobody is losing anything of value with this legislation.

it is not possible for anyone's "voice" to be heard in response to these stupid biased questions that mean nothing. the dems say the results are worthless and they are not wrong about that... i would love the opportunity to vote down all tax increases but that is not what these are... they serve no purpose at all

all those rascals in olympia seem to be doing here is getting rid of some waste, fraud, and abuse in gov't.

as a true conservative, it really, really bothers me when the woke librul dems are on the right side of an issue and the republicans aren't.

well, at least *one* republican voted yes for this bill to save us millions of dollars and shrink government...

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

We have binding referendum votes in Massachusetts.

That's how we got our legal marijuana.

Many years ago, we also repealed the seat belt law.
    The state legislature re-instated it as soon as they were constitutionally allowed to do so
    and it was challenged by referendum again.

The second time, though, the referendum didn't win.

it took me forever to get used to those miserable things, and I still hate them with winter coats.
    I believe that our neighbor to the north, New Hampshire, is the only state that still doesn't require them except for kids under eighteen.
    That latter thing was a fairly recent change.

They don't require motorcycle helmets, either.

They may be fucking hicks by Urban Northeast standards, but they do take that Live Free or Die motto pretty seriously.
    I have to give them that.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Instead of you telling us what you think we will double down on telling you what is, and what will be"

My Dystopia.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    https://www.king5.com/article/news/p...f-d99925b5cc07

Of course the WOKE Revolution lies their asses off about what they are doing and why.
    There is little election integrity in Washington State.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    don't be silly, no citizens are being stripped of their voice... nobody is losing anything of value with this legislation.

it is not possible for anyone's "voice" to be heard in response to these stupid biased questions that mean nothing. the dems say the results are worthless and they are not wrong about that... i would love the opportunity to vote down all tax increases but that is not what these are... they serve no purpose at all

all those rascals in olympia seem to be doing here is getting rid of some waste, fraud, and abuse in gov't.

as a true conservative, it really, really bothers me when the woke librul dems are on the right side of an issue and the republicans aren't.

well, at least *one* republican voted yes for this bill to save us millions of dollars and shrink government...
    Washington State government isn't shrinking and never has.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    There is little election integrity in Washington State.
    Worse the citizens are as bad or nearly as bad as CA citizens, taking the lies and other abuses that power constantly produces, letting government rob us of our freedom and agency with very little resistance.

We get what we deserve.

DARK AGES SUCK!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When government gets as brazenly abusive as WA government is with little citizen objection you know it is all over, the bad people won.

Buckle Up.

DARK AGES SUCK!