Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Road to a Supreme Court Clerkship Starts at Three Ivy League Colleges

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 829 Times in 788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    It is fair to assume a person who graduated college will work hard for future gain. It shows above-average intelligence. Those are good qualifications for an employee. You can learn something about what they are like before an interview.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-06-2023)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

That there is almost no diversity at SCOTUS diagnosis the problem of Americas collapse.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,572 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    That there is almost no diversity at SCOTUS diagnosis the problem of Americas collapse.
    It's been collapsing since 1776. Why do you think it's taking so long?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Good meme.

OTOH, it's in our nation's best interests to maximize the potential of our citizens. While global corporations are cleaning up, American citizens have become less competitive. Cutting wages only hurts us. Advancing into new tech is the best way to compete in a technological world and maintaining an average or better standard of living.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Good meme.

OTOH, it's in our nation's best interests to maximize the potential of our citizens. While global corporations are cleaning up, American citizens have become less competitive. Cutting wages only hurts us. Advancing into new tech is the best way to compete in a technological world and maintaining an average or better standard of living.
    That's why we should be putting more effort into alternatives to college. I remember reading a trade magazine for the machining industry some years ago. There was an article by a guy that was higher up in the Ridge Tool (Rigid tools is the commercial brand) corporation saying that the company went to high schools in the Illinois / Indiana area to try to recruit students into a apprenticeship program to become tool and die makers. This was back in the 90's. Ridge was offering at that time an excellent wage to learn then something like $75,000 (today that'd be like $125,000) a year when you completed the program. You got medical, retirement, and other benefits. It was a killer good deal and the students were turning it down because they wanted to go to college and supposedly make more money.

You can make great money doing something that doesn't require a degree, but we have an education system that says you need to go to college or you will end up with a crappy job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-06-2023)

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

That's why we should be putting more effort into alternatives to college. I remember reading a trade magazine for the machining industry some years ago. There was an article by a guy that was higher up in the Ridge Tool (Rigid tools is the commercial brand) corporation saying that the company went to high schools in the Illinois / Indiana area to try to recruit students into a apprenticeship program to become tool and die makers. This was back in the 90's. Ridge was offering at that time an excellent wage to learn then something like $75,000 (today that'd be like $125,000) a year when you completed the program. You got medical, retirement, and other benefits. It was a killer good deal and the students were turning it down because they wanted to go to college and supposedly make more money.

You can make great money doing something that doesn't require a degree, but we have an education system that says you need to go to college or you will end up with a crappy job.
    What if those kids wanted to be an accountant or engineer? Why should they learn the tool and die industry?

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed on alternatives to four-year degrees, but we still need both. The point we can agree upon is that college isn't for everyone. The best needs of the nation are served by maximizing the potential of our citizens.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    What if those kids wanted to be an accountant or engineer? Why should they learn the tool and die industry?
    What if those kids don't have the grades or capacity to be an accountant or engineer?

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed on alternatives to four-year degrees, but we still need both. The point we can agree upon is that college isn't for everyone. The best needs of the nation are served by maximizing the potential of our citizens.
    I doubt the world needs anywhere close to the number of soft degree liberal arts majors and fine arts majors that the US produces...

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

What if those kids don't have the grades or capacity to be an accountant or engineer?
    what if what if.

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I doubt the world needs anywhere close to the number of soft degree liberal arts majors and fine arts majors that the US produces...
    My concern about the future of the US is more than my concern about the world. Dissing degrees isn't helping. Focusing on leading Americans toward more technological jobs is positive and beneficial goal.

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My concern about the future of the US is more than my concern about the world. Dissing degrees isn't helping. Focusing on leading Americans toward more technological jobs is positive and beneficial goal.
    Pretending like a degree in Gender or Ethnic studies is useful doesn't help, to mention two that are out there... It also doesn't help if someone gets a degree that is meritless. I would hold up Jill Biden's doctorate as an example of that. Her dissertation wasn't even worthy of a Master's candidate.

15. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,554 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Rightys ignore that going to college broadens horizons. You take history classes, and literature classes and learn a lot. It makes you a more well-rounded person. College is not a glorified apprenticeship.

16. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Pretending like a degree in Gender or Ethnic studies is useful doesn't help, to mention two that are out there... It also doesn't help if someone gets a degree that is meritless. I would hold up Jill Biden's doctorate as an example of that. Her dissertation wasn't even worthy of a Master's candidate.
    First, why do you give a shit?

Two, are you saying that Americans can't spend money on whatever education they like?

Lastly, people who demean a doctorate of education for teachers while praising Trump University strike me as either jealous and/or college dropouts.

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First, why do you give a shit?

Two, are you saying that Americans can't spend money on whatever education they like?

Lastly, people who demean a doctorate of education for teachers while praising Trump University strike me as either jealous and/or college dropouts.
    Sure, Americans can spend their money on whatever education they want. I don't want them however to get to use public funds for getting a degree in stupidity. As for Trump University I never praised it and you are a liar and provocateur if you keep claiming I did. Also, I can and will demean people getting post graduate degrees that are based on bullshit like Jill Biden's is. My Master's thesis was 76 pages long with an extensive bibliography and notes on top of that on the history of electronic warfare in World War 2. It puts her doctorial dissertation to shame, and I did that Master's for fun more than anything else.