Thread: Religious Typology Quiz

1. #616 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovoJank View Post
    I don't define Freedom that way. I tend to go with something more akin to the dictionary definition. I find it preferable to definitions that one simply makes up to please themselves.
    I can see why you want to keep it simple. No worries.

If one goes strictly by the dictionary definition, then no country on the planet is free because they are all constrained. For example, your neighbor is constrained by law from blowing your head off for being a moron. Ergo, to simple-minds, the neighbor isn’t free.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #617 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    No, but you are free to view and accept it however you please since the only person who can change your mind is you.
    When I was in school I was taught that tautologies don't really provide any useful information. But perhaps in your philosophy classes it was different.

3. #618 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When I was in school I was taught that tautologies don't really provide any useful information. But perhaps in your philosophy classes it was different.
    Agreed my classes were different since I know the definition of tautology.

Good luck with your classes, Jank.

4. #619 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default Why religion is a bad influence on our nation:

Certain religious associations might also diminish empathy. In a fascinating study, “The End of Empathy: Why White Protestants Stopped Loving Their Neighbors,” John Compton looked at the decline of mainline Protestant churches that played a role in critical social justice movements and the rise of congregations of self-selected, homogenous people more concerned with maintaining power in a changing world than with traditional values (e.g., attending to the poor).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...pathy-gap-fix/

5. #620 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Certain religious associations might also diminish empathy. In a fascinating study, “The End of Empathy: Why White Protestants Stopped Loving Their Neighbors,” John Compton looked at the decline of mainline Protestant churches that played a role in critical social justice movements and the rise of congregations of self-selected, homogenous people more concerned with maintaining power in a changing world than with traditional values (e.g., attending to the poor).

While I readily agree with the claim “certain religious associations” are a bad influence, your oft-repeated dislike of all religion is also bad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (02-15-2023)

7. #621 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“The aggressive, disruptive, and unforgiving mindset that characterizes so much of our politics has found a home in many American churches,” wrote Peter Wehner, a former senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center and a Christian evangelical. “When the Christian faith is politicized, churches become repositories not of grace but of grievances, places where tribal identities are reinforced, where fears are nurtured, and where aggression and nastiness are sacralized.”

8. #622 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I am genuinely interested in what your actual definition of "Freedom" is. (I understand you may not be amenable to actually answering my question since I sense I am still in the "dog house" over my comments on faith. Hopefully we can move beyond that as I would actually love to know what the definition of "freedom" is per your philosophy).

Thanks!
    Philosophers and theologians have been debating the nature of freedom for centuries, so I don't have brilliant answers of my own. I don't think the absence of restraint on action is an adequate definition.
    But I Iike FDR's formulation of the four freedoms, and the formulations of freedom by The Buddha, Jesus, Utilitarianism, and German Romantics, aka freedom from the slavery of ignorance and sin, and freedom to create and participate something larger than oneself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-15-2023)

10. #623 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed my classes were different since I know the definition of tautology.
    That's fantastic! You strike me as someone with some education.

11. #624 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Philosophers and theologians have been debating the nature of freedom for centuries, so I don't have brilliant answers of my own. I don't think the absence of restraint on action is an adequate definition.
    But I Iike FDR's formulation of the four freedoms, and the formulations of freedom by The Buddha, Jesus, Utilitarianism, and German Romantics, aka freedom from the slavery of ignorance and sin, and freedom to create and participate something larger than oneself.
    Is there anything in common among these examples that might be a good definition of "freedom"?

If we can't define terms at all then it seems fruitless to have terms for things. I like a solid definition that can be leverged for a wide array of things.

Say "Religious Freedom" is the right to practice one's faith without restraint imposed by someone or something else. Freedom of association, same thing. The right to associate with whomever you wish without restraint.

The list goes on and can easily be applied to the high minded philosophical concepts but also to the mundane physical concepts. Perhaps "freedom" is the word we should be talking about now. Perhaps there is some other philosophical term that is more apropos. I don't know what that would be, but clearly "freedom" is too difficult for anyone to truly define and as such no one can speak about it with any authority since clearly you and I both have radically different definitions of the term. I have a definition and you have an indicator that philosophers have been struggling for centuries over the nature of freedom. I don't know how they would do that if there is no definition of the term but it would certainly lead to centuries of difficulty with understanding it. I can certainly see that.

12. #625 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

While I readily agree with the claim “certain religious associations” are a bad influence, your oft-repeated dislike of all religion is also bad.
    Not everyone will be willing to treat religion as you might wish. I clearly fell afoul of that when I insulted religion and it upset you very much. I see that religion is important to you, at least in terms of showing proper respect for it.

I get that. It's a difficult topic to broach, especially when someone has deeply held beliefs.

13. #626 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Plato wrote Departure from the Cave. We talked about this before. Only 5% of humans have freewill. The other 95% have slave instinct. They are codependent on their masters. The military and universities are a perfect example. They're not allow to think on their own. That's the way they like it. They're afraid to depart the cave.

14. #627 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Plato wrote Departure from the Cave. We talked about this before. Only 5% of humans have freewill. The other 95% have slave instinct. They are codependent on their masters. The military and universities are a perfect example. They're not allow to think on their own. That's the way they like it. They're afraid to depart the cave.
    You are clearly one of the dumbest persons on this forum. You struggle to write one coherent sentence.

15. #628 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

You are clearly one of the dumbest persons on this forum. You struggle to write one coherent sentence.
    You Kant admit you know nothing about ethics.

16. #629 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    You Kant admit you know nothing about ethics.
    You seem like you suffer from mental illness. Nothing you say makes sense.

17. #630 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You seem like you suffer from mental illness. Nothing you say makes sense.
    C'mon...you saw what he did with "Kant", right? Act such that the maxim of your actions should be universal law!