Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Typology Quiz

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,098 Times in 7,521 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,106 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    I prefer concise and condensed. It's much better than self-inflated and useless in a survival situation.

What was the hardest thing you ever did, neef?
    I survived Vietnam, but I don't take too much credit for that because I wasn't trying that hard. It was just luck.

I put two kids through private universities.

I protected workers successfully before the labor relations board.

I put the toughest guard from our state's maximum security prison into both the ER and the ICU of Massachusetts General Hospital
    when he decided that he could supplement his day job as a boxer. He permanently lost sight in one eye.
    It was the only time I ever purposely hurt somebody in an athletic contest.
    You're welcome, inmates.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 02-07-2023 at 08:09 PM.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-07-2023)

3. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I survived Vietnam, but I don't take too much credit for that because I wasn't trying that hard. it was just luck.

I put two kids through private universities.

I protected workers successfully before the labor relations board.

I put the toughest guard from our state's maximum security prison into both the ER and the ICU of Massachusetts General Hospital
    when he decided that he could supplement his day job as a boxer. He permanently lost sight in one eye.
    It was the only time I ever purposely hurt somebody in an athletic contest.
    You're welcome, inmates.
    With a wine glass and a cigar?

You did your fatherly duty. Good for you. Even better is that they passed on their own, albeit with your financial assistance, Mr. Moneybags.

Why would you intentionally maim someone?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,098 Times in 7,521 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,106 Times in 1,051 Posts

With a wine glass and a cigar?

You did your fatherly duty. Good for you. Even better is that they passed on their own, albeit with your financial assistance, Mr. Moneybags.

Why would you intentionally maim someone?
    I was a pretty boy college student boxing on local pro club cards for gas and beer money.
    It wasn't hard because most local club pros didn't have my amateur tournament credentials.
    They were just local tough guys.

I was twenty or twenty-one, I believe, and this fine state employee was pushing thirty.

We met in the middle of the ring for the usual referee instructions,
    and when we were to respectfully touch gloves before returning to our respective corners and waiting for the bell,

this gentleman informed me that he was about to become my new daddy.

I took it badly, and he wasn't the kind of person I would like much anyway.
    I regret nothing before you ask.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-07-2023)

6. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was a pretty boy college student boxing on local pro club cards for gas and beer money.
    It wasn't hard because most local club pros didn't have my amateur tournament credentials.
    They were just local tough guys.

I was twenty or twenty-one, I believe, and this fine state employee was pushing thirty.

We met in the middle of the ring for the usual referee instructions,
    and when we were to respectfully touch gloves before returning to our respective corners and waiting for the bell,

this gentleman informed me that he was about to become my new daddy.

I took it badly, and he wasn't the kind of person I would like much anyway.
    I regret nothing before you ask.
    Sounds like a fair fight to me.

7. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,553 Times in 53,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I define "grace" as a combination of respectable deportment, taste, poise, good will, and adequate refinement.

That's as much as we can expect from our very imperfect species. Probably a little more, it seems.
    Ah, I see and grok your definition. It is not the same as when Christians refer to receiving grace.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (02-07-2023)

9. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ah, I see and grok your definition. It is not the same as when Christians refer to receiving grace.
    Agreed.

There are 10 definitions of the word on M-W. 8 of them nouns, 2 of them verbs: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grace

I lean toward the divine interpretation even if I don't agree with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-08-2023)

11. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Agreed. It's a problem when people either try to mix them too much or declare one is superior to the other.

When push comes to shove, I prefer to follow the facts. Studying and understanding the Universe is a good thing. Those who are religious and truly believe God created the Universe should also believe God gave humans a brain with the expectation people would use it. People saying, "No, we should do it like our ancestors Og and Olga did in the old days because they saw a grass fire" are not using their brains.
    I think science is clearly superior as a method for collecting and interpreting data about nature.

But I agree with you, that the complete human life really can't be just about understanding differential equations and quantum energy fields. The moral, philosophical, spirirtual, and/or religious dimension has to come into play if life is going to have the slightest purpose or meaning. Donald Trumpf would be the exception to that rule. He is strictly materialistic, cynical, irreligious, and amoral.

12. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Exactly. If a person says to you that there aren't invisible unicorns moving around you, how would they know except for their imagination?

How can I know for certain there aren't creatures from a different plane of existence next to you? All I know is that there is no evidence either way. I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape over it. LOL
    I believe this is what is the basis for Weak vs Strong atheism. Strong atheists simply decree "There is no God", but they can't say that. God may be out there but undetected. It is like saying "There are no cows on Mars". Well, that makes perfect sense, but we don't know that for sure since we have not explored all of Mars down to every nook and cranny. A global negative claim is impossible to prove.

Weak atheists on the other hand equally do not believe in God but their position as I understand is that they simply don't see evidence for God so assume that likely He does not exist. But they are open to hearing more evidence just in case they are wrong. But it is still very much "atheism", just more philosophically and logically robust.

It seems that you are taking a kind of obverse position from the weak athiest in that you are saying that it is rational to believe that ALL non-logically-impossible beings that could exist DO exist until shown otherwise. I can't really think of anyone who functions that way in regards to anything in their lives.

13. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There are no legitimate scientists studying the purpose of the Big Bang or the purpose of life.
    That's probably because there is no "purpose" on display anywhere.

Let's take "evolution" for instance. Many on this forum may believe that humans are more "advanced" evolutionarily than bacteria. But that's kind of wrong thinking. In fact BOTH are EQUALLY advanced per evolution. Evolution is a passive filter which eliminates maladaptive features. The bacteria inhabiting its niche is as perfected as it needs to be to survive. It is the pinacle of evolution. Humans inhabiting their niche are as evolutionarily perfect as they need to be.

Evolution doesn't have a "direction", it just acts as a passive gate that keeps maladaptive features of living things from getting past so long as they happen before reproduction can happen.

Final causes (teleology) has generally been rejected by science because the modern scientific view is that the cosmos doesn't ultimately have a purpose, direction, or goal....at least not one amenable to scientific inquiry.
    Again, what "final cause" are you referring to? I bet it differs from every single other human being's suggestion of the "final cause". That's probably because it is mostly just humans imagining something deeper. They look at a tree and think it's so amazing that it MUST have some deeper attributes, there must be a REASON nature created a tree. But that is little more than magical thinking.

I assume you are amply familiar with Ockham's Razor. So why propose an added complexity to nature when there isn't really any NEED for it? Just because one can imagine some "teleology" for the tree doesn't mean it has a necessary existence. And it is possible to explain everything about the tree without reliance on any metaphysical features.

Philosophically-minded scientists have been discussing for a century what quantum mechanics really means, what it tells about reality.
    Just because QM is difficult to understand from a macro-existence perspective and is truly and honestly weird as anything does not mean there is some deeper meaning to existence. All it means is that existence is potentially weirder than we thought at the atomic level but it doesn't necessarily mean there is some "deeper cause" or "meaning" to anything.

QM seems to undermine determinism.
    If something undermines determinism and things become truly random, then it would seem to indicate that even nature is trying to tell you there is no "plan". It just is.

14. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,342 Times in 9,844 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 486 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your best fit is...
    Spiritually Awake
    along with 15% of the public.
    This test is obviously fucked.

You have the spiritually awareness of a rock.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

15. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovoJank View Post
    I believe this is what is the basis for Weak vs Strong atheism. Strong atheists simply decree "There is no God", but they can't say that. God may be out there but undetected. It is like saying "There are no cows on Mars". Well, that makes perfect sense, but we don't know that for sure since we have not explored all of Mars down to every nook and cranny. A global negative claim is impossible to prove.

Weak atheists on the other hand equally do not believe in God but their position as I understand is that they simply don't see evidence for God so assume that likely He does not exist. But they are open to hearing more evidence just in case they are wrong. But it is still very much "atheism", just more philosophically and logically robust.

It seems that you are taking a kind of obverse position from the weak athiest in that you are saying that it is rational to believe that ALL non-logically-impossible beings that could exist DO exist until shown otherwise. I can't really think of anyone who functions that way in regards to anything in their lives.
    Richard Dawkins' Spectrum of Theistic Probability puts it on a scale of 1 to 7. As a famous atheist, not to mention getting rich off of atheism, even Dawkins' wasn't stupid enough to call himself a 7.

https://bigthink.com/articles/atheism-easter-atheister/
    Richard Dawkins’ Belief Scale Scoring Rubric

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
    2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
    3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
    4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
    5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
    6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
    7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
    Assuming anything without evidence is not a logical position. It's a belief.

From the link, I am a 3 to a 4; akin to Pascal and Einstein.

16. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NovoJank View Post
    That's probably because there is no "purpose" on display anywhere.

Let's take "evolution" for instance. Many on this forum may believe that humans are more "advanced" evolutionarily than bacteria. But that's kind of wrong thinking. In fact BOTH are EQUALLY advanced per evolution. Evolution is a passive filter which eliminates maladaptive features. The bacteria inhabiting its niche is as perfected as it needs to be to survive. It is the pinacle of evolution. Humans inhabiting their niche are as evolutionarily perfect as they need to be.

Evolution doesn't have a "direction", it just acts as a passive gate that keeps maladaptive features of living things from getting past so long as they happen before reproduction can happen.

Again, what "final cause" are you referring to? I bet it differs from every single other human being's suggestion of the "final cause". That's probably because it is mostly just humans imagining something deeper. They look at a tree and think it's so amazing that it MUST have some deeper attributes, there must be a REASON nature created a tree. But that is little more than magical thinking.

I assume you are amply familiar with Ockham's Razor. So why propose an added complexity to nature when there isn't really any NEED for it? Just because one can imagine some "teleology" for the tree doesn't mean it has a necessary existence. And it is possible to explain everything about the tree without reliance on any metaphysical features.

Just because QM is difficult to understand from a macro-existence perspective and is truly and honestly weird as anything does not mean there is some deeper meaning to existence. All it means is that existence is potentially weirder than we thought at the atomic level but it doesn't necessarily mean there is some "deeper cause" or "meaning" to anything.

If something undermines determinism and things become truly random, then it would seem to indicate that even nature is trying to tell you there is no "plan". It just is.
    Exactly. So we should not allow mankind to be directed by violent eugenicists, mass murderers, and others who do not value basic morality.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

17. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Innately evil people are always looking for an ideology that excuses their shittiness.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

18. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,196 Times in 25,727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    The quiz was pretty pointless with the questions geared a certain way. I got relaxed religious since I don't attend mass. Some questions were hard to give the proper answer.
    That's what I got.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

19. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Richard Dawkins' Spectrum of Theistic Probability puts it on a scale of 1 to 7. As a famous atheist, not to mention getting rich off of atheism, even Dawkins' wasn't stupid enough to call himself a 7.

https://bigthink.com/articles/atheism-easter-atheister/

Assuming anything without evidence is not a logical position. It's a belief.

From the link, I am a 3 to a 4; akin to Pascal and Einstein.
    But it's not a matter of "degree". It's a fact that a universal negative claim is nearly impossible if not logically impossible to prove.

As such Level 7 isn't achievable.