Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloader

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Default Muzzleloader

I’m working up a load for a muzzleloader I have acquired. It’s a Traditions Buckskinner in 50 caliber, manufactured in the early 2000’s. This gun was given to me and I’m planning to squirrel hunt with it. If it is accurate enough, I’ll deer hunt with it when the season rolls around.

“50 cal is a little overkill,” you say? Well, you’d be right. But I’m at that point in my life where I hunt more for fun and nostalgia more than for food, although I do enjoy the food. I enjoy taking my dogs to woods the most. And think about it, not many of our ancestors had different caliber weapons for different game. They loaded and shot accordingly.

I shot some bullets from a mold I have had for several years out of the gun today with 30 grains of Triple 7. It was pretty good from 30 yards, but not good enough. I have ordered a round ball mold in the proper caliber and am hoping that a patched round ball gets me to squirrel head sized groups.

I’ll post a picture of the little gun in the comments.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-02-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I’m working up a load for a muzzleloader I have acquired. It’s a Traditions Buckskinner in 50 caliber, manufactured in the early 2000’s. This gun was given to me and I’m planning to squirrel hunt with it. If it is accurate enough, I’ll deer hunt with it when the season rolls around.

“50 cal is a little overkill,” you say? Well, you’d be right. But I’m at that point in my life where I hunt more for fun and nostalgia more than for food, although I do enjoy the food. I enjoy taking my dogs to woods the most. And think about it, not many of our ancestors had different caliber weapons for different game. They loaded and shot accordingly.

I shot some bullets from a mold I have had for several years out of the gun today with 30 grains of Triple 7. It was pretty good from 30 yards, but not good enough. I have ordered a round ball mold in the proper caliber and am hoping that a patched round ball gets me to squirrel head sized groups.

If hunting rabbits and squirrels, I'd agree .50 is too big, but it's a good size for hunting deer, pigs and other large game.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

5. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-02-2023)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice Boomstick!
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Great looking rifle!

This is my CVA Wolf .50 and a Walker Colt .44. Sadly, I haven't fired either one yet. The smaller pistol is also a .44 and that one has been part of several holiday celebrations (no bullets LOL)....the number of chambers loaded had an inverse correlation to how much alcohol was in the shooter.

I have a scope for the Wolf but won't mount it until I take it to the range.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Great looking rifle!

This is my CVA Wolf .50 and a Walker Colt .44. Sadly, I haven't fired either one yet. The smaller pistol is also a .44 and that one has been part of several holiday celebrations (no bullets LOL)....the number of chambers loaded had an inverse correlation to how much alcohol was in the shooter.

I have a scope for the Wolf but won't mount it until I take it to the range.

Great looking guns. I had a couple of black powder pistols years ago when I shot more recreationally. Lots of fun.

Percussion caps are hard to come by here. I’ve bought a kit to make them from a pop can. Just have to borrow some of the wife’s fingernail polish remover.

Counting this one I now have 5 black powder rifles. Two of them use the 209 shotgun primers and three use no. 11 percussion caps. I have a conversion kit for one of the guns to allow it to take the 209 primers but I haven’t put in on yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

I pity the squirrel that gets hit with a 50 cal
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Matt Dillon (03-01-2023)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Great looking guns. I had a couple of black powder pistols years ago when I shot more recreationally. Lots of fun.

Percussion caps are hard to come by here. I’ve bought a kit to make them from a pop can. Just have to borrow some of the wife’s fingernail polish remover.

Counting this one I now have 5 black powder rifles. Two of them use the 209 shotgun primers and three use no. 11 percussion caps. I have a conversion kit for one of the guns to allow it to take the 209 primers but I haven’t put in on yet.
    Wow. I looked at mail-order and the prices are outrageous. Obviously there's a shortage. https://www.midwayusa.com/percussion...s/br?cid=23215

I priced my CVA Wolf too and it's almost doubled in price.

I haven't heard about making the percussion caps but will look it up. I have a couple of tins of caps in storage.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

If I ever bought either a cap & ball pistol or rifle, I would buy a relic, flintlock and powder horn and all!

I've always wanted one of those Hawken rifles used in the movies Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men.

This is a percussion replica model, and I would settle for it, as I doubt now I could ever afford an original as they are collected now and expensive.

These are all original.

Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 02-03-2023 at 08:26 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    If I ever bought either a cap & ball pistol or rifle, I would buy a relic, flintlock and powder horn and all!

I've always wanted one of those Hawken rifles used in the movies Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men.

This is a percussion replica model, and I would settle for it, as I doubt now I could ever afford an original as they are collected now and expensive.

These are all original.

That’s a good hunting rifle. My best friend’s brother had one in 54 cal. Here’s mine. I’ve killed at least a dozen deer with it. It was my dad’s. He’s still living but doesn’t deer hunt anymore.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023), Geeko Sportivo (02-03-2023)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

NOT taken with a 50 cal muzzleloader, just a 410 with #5 shot. Swamp rabbit…about 1/3 larger than cottontails with a different diet. Great eating. That little beagle is the only one left from the pack I had. The other three got killed by a hog about 3 years ago. I haven’t really hunted rabbits since but decided to take her out today. She doesn’t move a track too well by herself and will give up after about 20 minutes but she moved this one long enough for me to get it.

But I predict that next year I’ll be using the 50 caliber with patched round balls and a greatly reduced powder load to take some small game.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023), Geeko Sportivo (02-03-2023)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

That’s a good hunting rifle. My best friend’s brother had one in 54 cal. Here’s mine. I’ve killed at least a dozen deer with it. It was my dad’s. He’s still living but doesn’t deer hunt anymore.

That is a mighty fine thing to hang over the fireplace!

And use for hunting, of course.

Looks like a relic!

I don't deer hunt anymore, although I still go and usually end up the camp cook by default.

I usually take pictures of deer that come within distance of the camp, when my friends that go out to the blinds, sometimes say they didn't even see a deer!

This week would have been a great week to deer hunt! In this ice storm, those deer were up and moving around to stay warm and having to look for food.
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 02-03-2023 at 09:47 PM.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,293 Times in 13,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Smoothbore or rifled?

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,293 Times in 13,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

If it's rifled, use a Minie ball. I'd suggest a three grease groove with a semi-spitzer ogive. For 50 cal, go with about a 450 to 475 grain round. Don't bother with patch and ball. Use a paper hardboard patch with it and go with about 60 grains of FF.

22. #15 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Smoothbore or rifled?
    Those should be rifled. Not sure of the twist rate though, I think it varies by model and barrel length. Lots of literature and forums on the internet to give good recommendations for starting loads.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.