Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Muzzleloader

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    A Barnett Jackal is a nice crossbow. Nice buck too. What range do you take the deer with?

Re elbow; Bettie Davis was right - getting old isn’t for sissies. LOL

Not much of a deer hunter here, mainly because I’m lazy and impatient. Hogs are easier*. No deer piss or camo needed.

*although I haven’t hunted them with a bow/crossbow.
    I would not shoot at a deer over 30-35 yards. That buck was at about 15 yards and the doe was about 5 yards. The first deer I took with the crossbow was at about 28 yards. But I’ve decided that 30 yards or so is my range limit. I can consistently hit a softball sized target out to 50 yards but I am not confident enough to shoot from that far at a live target nor do I hunt where it is open enough to allow for such a long bow shot.

No doe pee for me. Just makes things stink IMO. I’ll leave that to the Tiger Woods type of deer hunters (don’t know if you’ve seen the Tiger Woods, John Daly memes).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2023), Matt Dillon (03-01-2023)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I saw an article on the super pigs from Canada just today. I’m a “kill them all” person when it comes to wild hogs. I killed one Monday that I walked upon as she was sleeping in a briar patch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Matt Dillon (03-01-2023)

5. #48 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I saw an article on the super pigs from Canada just today. I’m a “kill them all” person when it comes to wild hogs. I killed one Monday that I walked upon as she was sleeping in a briar patch.
    Do you eat those wild hogs? We don't have any here in PA (that I know of).
    We have the same "mentality" when it comes to coyotes here, we leave them
    for the other coyotes, hawks and buzzards.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would not shoot at a deer over 30-35 yards. That buck was at about 15 yards and the doe was about 5 yards. The first deer I took with the crossbow was at about 28 yards. But I’ve decided that 30 yards or so is my range limit. I can consistently hit a softball sized target out to 50 yards but I am not confident enough to shoot from that far at a live target nor do I hunt where it is open enough to allow for such a long bow shot.

No doe pee for me. Just makes things stink IMO. I’ll leave that to the Tiger Woods type of deer hunters (don’t know if you’ve seen the Tiger Woods, John Daly memes).
    Looks reasonable on the ranges. I've never hunted with a bow/crossbow, but agree on the limitation. I'm not there yet on consistently hitting a softball-sized target at 35 yards much less 50. Good job!

What brand of arrows do you like and weight of broadhead? Fixed or the spring-open type?

No on the Tiger/John memes but I did google them. This was the only hunting one I found:

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They're very destructive vermin, but piglets and sows under 24 inches at the shoulder are tasty. Boars are nature's garbage disposals and taste like it.

Unlike deer or other game which must be harvested under penalty of law, wild hogs can be left where they lay.

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Do you eat those wild hogs? We don't have any here in PA (that I know of).
    We have the same "mentality" when it comes to coyotes here, we leave them
    for the other coyotes, hawks and buzzards.
    They have to meet certain criteria before I will eat them. No boars. No lice. No old sows.

Gilts, or young males less than about 50 lbs (I’ve even had to cook and feed some of these to my dogs when I got them home and started cleaning them…you can tell by the smell) are ideal.

I cure some, make home made spam and sometimes smoke some to make pulled pork. I don’t eat a lot of the wild hogs.

They are considered an invasive species here by the fish and game. Most of us hunters view them the same way. They’re prolific breeders and can deplete the resources of a property in a hurry.

This was an old sow that I found sleeping in a briar patch behind my house. I suspect she’s had numerous litters. I left her for the coyotes, possums and buzzards…but I definitely kill every hog I encounter.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2023), Matt Dillon (03-01-2023), RB 60 (02-25-2023)

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They're very destructive vermin, but piglets and sows under 24 inches at the shoulder are tasty. Boars are nature's garbage disposals and taste like it.

Unlike deer or other game which must be harvested under penalty of law, wild hogs can be left where they lay.
    Yes, young ones and gilts are really good. I make spam and can it in wide mouth pint jars. It has a shelf life of a few years (ours never lasts that long) and is very tasty. Of course it is round instead of rectangular in shape but it also has far less sodium. Better than Hormel, IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2023)

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

People might question whether weapons and kills like the one in the pictures are humane or not. I really strive for taking the most deadly shot and will not take a shot if there is doubt…whether bow, muzzleloader or modern firearm.

The pictures are in order from where the deer was standing when I took the shot to where I found her…about 40 yards away. You’ll notice that I found my arrow in the blood trail.

I can't offer an informed opinion, because it's obviously not a Bostonian's normal daily activity.
    That said, I'm certain that you aspire to be as humane as possible.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

leaningright (02-25-2023)

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I started to make a thread trolling a bit because I went to a gun show today … I was going to say I was looking for the loophole. But I decided to post it on this bread because it is really a continuation of the OP here. I found this unfired gem priced right and brought it home.

A Traditions EDIT: Not a Crockett, a Deerhunter … percussion muzzleloader in 32 caliber. A true squirrel rifle. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ons%20Crockett

Not really a “loophole” but definitely an “exception” as far as gun shows are concerned. In over 35 years of going to gun shows this is the second gun I have brought home. They usually have nothing that I want and if they do the guns are usually way overpriced.

I’ve ordered what I need from Midway and will update here on how the gun performs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2023)

16. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I started to make a thread trolling a bit because I went to a gun show today looking for the loophole. But I decided to post it on this bread because it is really a continuation of the OP here. I found this I fired gem priced right and brought it home.

A Traditions Crockett percussion muzzleloader in 32 caliber. A true squirrel rifle. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ons%20Crockett

Not really a “loophole” but definitely an “exception” as far as gun shows are concerned. In over 35 years of going to gun shows this is the second gun I have brought home. They usually have nothing that I want and if they do the guns are usually way overpriced.

I’ve ordered what I need from Midway and will update here on how the gun performs.
    Wow! A gun show? I usually just buy and sell guns out of my trunk. /sarcasm

Nice squirrel gun!

17. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wow! A gun show? I usually just buy and sell guns out of my trunk. /sarcasm

Nice squirrel gun!
    That’s how I acquired the gun I traded for this gun. Parking lot deal at our local convenience store.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-25-2023)

19. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That’s how I acquired the gun I traded for this gun. Parking lot deal at our local convenience store.
    Those are the best deals!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

leaningright (02-25-2023)