Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 'Never Been a Better Time to Buy an Electric Car': Auto Expert

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    The Chevy Volt has a recall due to problems with the brake design. There is another one concerning the power train (the typical GM corrosion and weak electrical design problem).
    GM loses money on every Volt they sell. They can only do it because of government subsidies.
    The Bolt is even worse. It has recalls active for similar problems as the Volt (some of which cause catastrophic fire), plus a recall for defective airbags.

GM and Chevy cars are well known for weak electrical system design (overloaded switches, poor quality connectors, etc) and corrosion (usually galvanic), particularly body corrosion. GM is typically pretty cheap on protective coatings and doesn't consider the effect of bolting dissimilar metals together very much.Yes....it affects their EVs as well.

On the other hand, Fords are well known for spatial relationship problems and they can't seem to get their head wrapped around hydraulics. Cheap materials are also an issue. Yes...it affects their EVs as well.
    The brake recall was in 2018. They had to bleed the brakes and did it for free. They quit making the Volt in 2019. It was a bridge car between ICE and the future of electric cars. It was not a money maker because they made it very good and new technology required new tooling and manufacturing. https://www.greencarreports.com/news...n-scores-again It had the highest customer satisfaction ratingsover and over.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Never Been a Better Time to Buy an Electric Car': Auto Expert
    Notice that is not the same as saying right now is a GOOD time to buy an electric car. Just that the past was an EVEN WORSE time.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,928 Times in 11,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The brake recall was in 2018. They had to bleed the brakes and did it for free.
    So it to be repaired. Another paradox for you, twit.
    They quit making the Volt in 2019.
    Because it wasn't making money.
    It was a bridge car between ICE and the future of electric cars.
    It was not a 'bridge' car. It had no internal combustion engine. It's an EV.
    It was not a money maker because they made it very good and new technology required new tooling and manufacturing.
    The Li-ion battery hasn't changed, dude.
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...n-scores-again It had the highest customer satisfaction ratingsover and over.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA! Is that why less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs, and even fewer of those are Chevy EVs???????!? Tesla does better than anything Chevy made!
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,170 Times in 5,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Seems the government disagrees with you...

Policies to promote electric vehicle deployment
    https://www.iea.org/reports/global-e...cle-deployment

Significant fiscal incentives spurred the initial uptake of electric light-duty vehicles (LDVs) and underpinned the scale up in EV manufacturing and battery industries. The measures – primarily purchase subsidies, and/or vehicle purchase and registration tax rebates – were designed to reduce the price gap with conventional vehicles. Such measures were implemented as early as the 1990s in Norway,1 in the United States in 2008 and in China in 2014.

Gradual tightening of fuel economy and tailpipe CO2 standards has augmented the role of EVs to meet the standards. Today, over 85% of car sales worldwide are subject to such standards. CO2 emissions standards in the European Union played a significant role in promoting electric car sales, which in 2020 had the largest annual increase to reach 2.1 million. Some jurisdictions are employing mandatory targets for EV sales, for example for decades in California2 and in China since 2017.

President Biden has united automakers and autoworkers to drive American leadership forward on clean cars, and he set an ambitious target of 50% of electric vehicle (EV) sale shares in the U.S. by 2030
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...g-action-plan/

Electric Vehicle Subsidies: On the Road to Nowhere
    https://www.instituteforenergyresear...ad-to-nowhere/
    Nissan plans to launch its first EV with a solid-state battery in 2028

Nissan says its battery will actually be solid state and offers many advantages

Nissan expects that the solid-state battery technology it's busily developing will be ready for mass production in 2028. Development work is ongoing, but the Japanese company believes it's well positioned to launch pilot production in 2025 and gradually improve the technology.
    "We think we have something quite special and are in a group leading the technology. We want to get the cost down [compared to lithium-ion batteries] by 50%, to double the energy density, and to offer three times the charging speed," David Moss, Nissan's senior vice-president for research and development in Europe, told British magazine Autocar. Development work is taking place in Japan and in England.
    Nissan isn't alone; numerous carmakers and suppliers are developing solid-state batteries. Moss explained the his team is working on a true solid-state battery that doesn't require a liquid electrolyte. "Some solid-state batteries still have the liquid electrolytes, and this is an issue, as that liquid boils. The efficiency of that energy in storage and transfer and the power you put into it will be impacted," he said.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    Notice that is not the same as saying right now is a GOOD time to buy an electric car. Just that the past was an EVEN WORSE time.
    You keep believing that if it helps you sleep at night.
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

6. The Following User Groans At Joe Capitalist For This Awful Post:

serendipity (02-09-2023)

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    when has a car salesman ever not said it was the best time to buy ?

and they say it loudest when sales are falling off a cliff.
    Ford Has Good News For Fans of Its EVs
    Ford finished 2022 with 61,575 total EVs sold in the No. 2 position behind Tesla in sales.
    Elon Musk's electric vehicle manufacturing company Tesla remains the U.S. leader in EV production and sales and has grand plans to ramp up production of its vehicles by the end of the decade.
    Tesla* (TSLA) *set a record in producing 1.37 million of EVs in 2022 and delivering 1.31 million, but Musk and the company are not satisfied with that volume. Tesla's four EV manufacturing plants located in the U.S, China and Germany currently have a combined 1.9 million units vehicle capacity, but will have to crank up development of several new manufacturing plants if it plans to reach Musk and Tesla's goal of producing 20 million EVs by 2030.
    Ford* (F) *finished 2022 with 61,575 total EVs sold in the No. 2 position behind Tesla in sales.*The competition has continued to heat up between the two companies with the latest battle being a price war.
    Ford on Jan. 30 cut prices by 8.4% on its all-electric Mustang Mach-E extended-range GT, slashing the cost by $5,900 to $63,995. Tesla*on Jan. 12*cut prices on all of its EVs from 7% to 20%, but on Feb. 4, the company reversed course and raised the prices of its Model Y SUV/Crossover by 2% to 3%. It also raised its price of the Model Y Long Range by 2.8% and the Model Y performance increased 1.75%.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Never Been a Better Time to Buy an Electric Car': Auto Expert
    It’s highly unusual for a car manufacturer to slash the MSRP of a vehicle after a launch. But that’s exactly what’s happened to the four best-selling electric vehicles in the U.S. now that Ford has joined Tesla in announcing major price cuts.
    Could this be the start of full-fledged electric car price war? The two manufacturers’ moves certainly put pressure on other players in the EV industry to make cars more affordable, according to Alain Nana-Sinkam, SVP of business development at the automotive pricing company TrueCar.
    “There hasn’t been a whole lot that’s been conventional about the way Tesla has gone to market in selling vehicles, but the concept that there would be significant changes in manufacturer suggested retail prices in the middle of the model year is a very uncommon thing in our industry, especially at these levels — thousands of dollars,” he says.
    Whether Ford and Tesla’s competitors will announce price cuts of their own remains to be seen. The overarching trend in the market is actually the opposite: Prices have been rising steadily, and the average new car is now selling for an all-time high of nearly $50,000.
    Price cuts aren’t the only way to make cars more affordable. The more traditional way to accomplish that and entice buyers is with incentives, which can take the form of financing deals or cash rebates. But the option of cutting sticker prices has particular appeal in the EV market right now because cars that cost over certain amounts (which depend on the type of vehicle) aren’t eligible for new EV tax credits of up to $7,500.

In light of the price cuts and the new tax credits, Pat Ryan, CEO of car shopping app CoPilot, says “there’s probably never been a better time to buy an electric car.”
    The Tesla price cuts will likely force competitors including Ford to lose money on at least some of their electric cars to gain market share, which is great news for buyers, he says.
    Shoppers who wait, however, will have many more vehicles to choose from, especially with GM and BMW’s ambitious plans for launching dozens of electric vehicles by 2025 between the two of them, Ryan says.
    If you’re considering a used EV, those prices have also declined significantly. “For the first time since November 2021, the average used EV on the market is below $50,000 — it’s about $48,700, so prices have really come down,” Ryan says. Lower gas prices and Tesla’s cuts on new vehicles have contributed to the softening.

https://www.kansascity.com/money/ev-...ar-tesla-ford/
    Sorry Joey you thread banning chickenshit,

Global electric vehicle sales reached 10 percent of all new cars sold in 2022, an increase from 8.3 percent in 2021.

EVs continue to become more popular year over year, and consumers are making the switch from gas-powered vehicles to battery-powered ones across the world. Some markets have proven to be hot spots for electrification, while others are slowly coming around to the idea. With manufacturers planning to offer many new EV models this year, 2023 could have even more growth.

New data provided by LMC Automotive and EV-Volumes.com (via Wall Street Journal) shows global EV sales made up 10 percent of every new car sold globally last year, with most of the sales occurring in Europe and China. In these two markets, manufacturers focus heavily on EV sales and are rushing to push competitive models out while optimizing and improving past vehicles.

Last year, 7.8 million electric vehicles were sold. Continuing the adoption of EVs has provided not only new, sustainable powertrains to consumers but also new revenue streams for automakers through subscription-based programs and charging infrastructure

Government: Sorry Joey wet panties, you have not accumulated enough carbon credits for us to allow you to charge your government, mandated vehicle. If you are judicious in your use of energy, we will allow you to recharge to half capacity next Thursday.

Jesus, if they would only do that with Joey's computer.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Today, 11:50 AM
    LyinBitch
    This message is hidden because LyinBitch is on your ignore list.

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Multiplication by zero still results in a zero...
    Have you shorted any EV stock yet? Should be a sure thing.

NEWS: The @Tesla Model Y was the best selling vehicle overall in California in 2022, surpassing the Toyota Camry. Tesla has also moved up to #2 in brand popularity. 1 out of every 10 vehicles sold in CA is now a Tesla. Model 3 was the 2nd best selling vehicle in CA. @elonmusk

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

Joey wets panties

Tesla Destroyed By Crash With Box Truck, Repair Bill Is Shocking