Thread: The evolution of complex life

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,488 Times in 52,491 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    I never said that. I don't think intelligent life requires the ability to generate radio frequency broadcasts. In fact the VAST majority (probably about 99.999999%) of the time humans have been on the earth we didn't broadcast any electromagnetic signature and certainly not in sufficient quantity to be a detectable coherent signal light years away.

We clearly disagree on what counts as "life" and even what counts as "advanced lifeforms". I take a broader view that radio communication is not a necessary component of a life form to still count as an advanced complex life form.
    Sure, it took Earth lifeforms about 4.5B years to generate radio signals. As mentioned before, the oldest starts in our galaxy are over 13B years. Seems like they've had enough time.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    It actually kind of does, though. You are correct most of them are probably from inorganic sources, but indeed they are a sign that the building blocks of life are ubiquitous. The only thing missing is their coalescence into a life form which is trivial compared to the compounds themselves. It's how they react naturally.

Not really. Condensation of amino acids into proteins happens spontaneously and protein's complexity mostly rises from the secondary structures (alpha helices, beta sheets,etc) which are a function of the arrangement of the molecules in the protein and hydrogen bonding between the various regions.

I totally agree that it has yet to be done using "estimated starting processes" in the lab but it is most assuredly done every single day in PCR machines all over the world.

But you just noted that things like methane are ubiquitous and not necessarily related to life.

It is mostly handwaving to assume spectroscopy can solve all the problems. It can't. That isn't how it works. Spectroscopy of an entire planet would be of limited utility unless it somehow showed an atmosphere completely filled to the brim with DNA molecules. I think we can both agree that's not a sign of life and it's unlikely even if life existed on the planet that the atmosphere would have enough DNA to show up on a spectroscopy analysis of the planet viewed from several light years away.
    I think the unusual properties of carbon and water make it seem like the universe is primed for life.

Between carbon, water, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus we have 95 percent of the building blocks of life. But what we don't really have is a fix on the process that puts it all together.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Sure, it took Earth lifeforms about 4.5B years to generate radio signals. As mentioned before, the oldest starts in our galaxy are over 13B years. Seems like they've had enough time.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
    That's an arbitrary goal, though. Why would anyone necessarily produce radio waves? As I said humanity existed for the vast majority of its time without any electromagnetic signature. So why do you think that radio and tv broadcasts (or even microwave broadcasts) would be somehow EXPECTED just because we developed it?

I'm saying the universe may be TEAMING with life that is as advanced as say...the 18th century. That's pretty advanced life, wouldn't you agree? How would we detect that? The fact is we can't.

And it doesn't mean that no life exists out there, it just means no life that has developed the ability to generate radio waves and had sufficient time for those waves to make it all the way to us has been discovered.

That is a VERY narrow sub-species of the concept of "complex life". It's even a sub-sub-sub-species of a "technologically advanced society".

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're leaping to conclusions again, Perry PhD.

Yes, life can exist without intelligence and radios. However, life continues to evolve over time. Given enough time, those evolving lifeforms will advance enough to leave their planet, which means they'll use the natural laws of the Universe to communicate.

You are free to believe that out of 100 thousand million stars, only humans invented radio communications, but I disagree.
    I don't think is an inevitable foregone conclusion that intelligent life capable of technology is automatically a consequence of evolution. Life has existed for 3.5 billion years. Radios have existed for 100 years.

And the dominance of mammals and their progeny, the primates, might be a consequence of a lucky asteroid strike 66 million years ago

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I don't think is an inevitable foregone conclusion that intelligent life capable of technology is automatically a consequence of evolution. Life has existed for 3.5 billion years. Radios have existed for 100 years.

And the dominance of mammals and their progeny, the primates, might be a consequence of a lucky asteroid strike 66 million years ago
    The Earth has experienced at least five mass extinction events. Without anything to compare it to, it's impossible to know if that is average, above average or below average.

Even so, our solar system is young at less than half the age of other stars in our galaxy. Either we are very, very lucky or life is very, very rare.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...ss-extinctions

https://www.livescience.com/mass-ext...ped-Earth.html
    The 5 mass extinctions

Ordovician-Silurian extinction: ~ 440 million years ago
    Species made extinct: 85%

Late Devonian extinction: ~ 365 million years ago
    Species made extinct: 75%

Permian-Triassic extinction: ~ 253 million years ago
    Species made extinct: 96% marine life; 70% terrestrial life

Triassic-Jurassic extinction: ~ 201 million years ago
    Species made extinct: 80%

K-Pg extinction: ~ 66 million years ago

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (02-03-2023)

7. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

The Earth has experienced at least five mass extinction events. Without anything to compare it to, it's impossible to know if that is average, above average or below average.

Even so, our solar system is young at less than half the age of other stars in our galaxy. Either we are very, very lucky or life is very, very rare.

The 5 mass extinctions

Here' the thing, Uncle Doc.

Life isn't rare enough, because if the rewards don't adequately compensate the travails in sentient life,
    which is the case in an awful lot of such life,
    life is then a net-negative experience.

Only average intellectual acuity is required to recognize that, but being willing to accept it requires a little bit more..
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Here' the thing, Uncle Doc.

Life isn't rare enough, because if the rewards don't adequately compensate the travails in sentient life,
    which is the case in an awful lot of such life,
    life is then a net-negative experience.

Only average intellectual acuity is required to recognize that, but being willing to accept it requires a little bit more..
    What are you drinking, neef?

9. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What are you drinking, neef?
    Dunkin Donuts K Cup coffee, well fortified with sambuca, as I do every night since they invented the Keurig machine.

Congrats on finding a new user name, by the way.

You DO have skills, such as they are.

10. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Dunkin Donuts K Cup coffee, well fortified with sambuca, as I do every night since they invented the Keurig machine.

Congrats on finding a new user name, by the way.

You DO have skills, such as they are.
    Is it laced with Jameson's or Baileys?

Thanks. I'm having fun with it.

As many women have said before you.

11. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is it laced with Jameson's or Baileys?

Thanks. I'm having fun with it.

As many women have said before you.
    I'm pretty sure I said Sambuca.
    I do have both Jameson's and Baileys on the bar, along with a lot of other stuff that never gets touched,
    but I'm partial to the beverages of my own people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023)

13. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure I said Sambuca.

I do have both Jameson's and Baileys on the bar, along with a lot of other stuff that never gets touched,

but I'm partial to the beverages of my own people.
    Thanks. I missed the reference...and have never drank it.

Both are great in coffee.

I like to branch out.

14. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

https://www.livescience.com/mass-ext...ped-Earth.html
    The 5 mass extinctions

My two cents.

If intelligence is an inevitable consequence of evolution,
    and not a random consequence of a perfect storm of events, whyy didn't it ever happen before? Why did it take 3 billion years?

As for 12 billion year old stars: those stars and their stellar systems are depleted in heavy elements. No heavy elements, no life. Heavy elements in any significant abundance was a relatively late introduction to the universe, because they are only created in Type I supernovae. The early universe and the early generation stars were virtually completely hydrogen and helium.

Life is not possible in a hydrogen and helium environment. Life needs carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, iron, etc.

Our stellar system got lucky. We have a relatively young star which formed from nebula enriched in heavy elements.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (02-03-2023)

16. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Our stellar system got lucky. We have a relatively young star which formed from nebula enriched in heavy elements.
    Again, we're making the value judgement that having environs conducive to life was lucky.
    There is no misery on lifeless planets.

It always boils down to the same thing:

Do the rewards adequately compensate the travails?

Every instance where the answer is 'No" is an example where life was a negative event.

17. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My two cents.

If intelligence is an inevitable consequence of evolution,
    and not a random consequence of a perfect storm of events, whyy didn't it ever happen before? Why did it take 3 billion years?

As for 12 billion year old stars: those stars and their stellar systems are depleted in heavy elements. No heavy elements, no life. Heavy elements in any significant abundance was a relatively late introduction to the universe, because they are only created in Type I supernovae. The early universe and the early generation stars were virtually completely hydrogen and helium.

Life is not possible in a hydrogen and helium environment. Life needs carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, iron, etc.

Agreed on intelligence. It goes with the Red Queen Hypothesis. The extinction events may be part of the answer on why intelligence didn't evolve faster.

Also agreed on Type I/II stars. Still, the oldest Population I stars are 10B years, about twice our Sun's age.

https://www.astronomynotes.com/ismnotes/s9.htm
    The Population I stars are in the disk component of the Galaxy. They have a wide range of ages, from 0 to 10 billion years old. The youngest ones are in the spiral arms. Population I star orbits are orderly: roughly circular orbits close to the mid-plane of the galactic disk. Young star clusters made of Population I stars are called open clusters because the stars are loosely bound together, in contrast to the old, concentrated globular clusters.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (02-04-2023)

19. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Again, we're making the value judgement that having environs conducive to life was lucky.
    There is no misery on lifeless planets.

It always boils down to the same thing:

Do the rewards adequately compensate the travails?

Every instance where the answer is 'No" is an example where life was a negative event.
    Let's just say it was unusual that our solar system formed out of a nebula that was relatively enriched in heavy elements, making life here possible.