Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Gun question.

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,786 Times in 17,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    That would be the fully automatic versions of the M-16 with the "spray and pray" feature... Later ones only allow a 3 round burst. I found that (the 3 round thing) not all that useful as you hit with one and miss with two...
    So killing 3 people at a time is not good enough? You know that people make them automatic too. If you shoot a hundred bullets and miss, that must not be USEFUL to you.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,098 Times in 11,671 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    That's like saying that all refrigerators are Frigidaires because in some place they are "colloquially known" as such. Just saying "colloquial" doesn't mean the same thing as "correct"....

A clip is used to hold the bullets in line to more quickly load a magazine, a magazine pushes the next round up into the firing chamber and is not a clip... They are different things even if folks who do not know about guns use it incorrectly "colloquially".
    Nope. A clip is a type of loading mechanism for some types of guns. Magazine speed loaders are not a clip.

This is not a clip.

This is not a clip.
    Last edited by Into the Night; 01-27-2023 at 04:13 PM.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Think MILITARY WEAPONS DUMB ASS!

Which asks a question in itself, WHY DO CITIZENS NEED MILITARY STYLE WEAPONS AND AMMO>

Are you afraid that ole Bugs Bunny is gonna shoot back?
    Why would someone "need" a newspaper that isn't controlled by the government? Why would anyone "need" to have a right to stop the government from entering their house unless they have probable cause and a valid warrant if they weren't doing anything illegal? Why would they "need" to be able to march with signs that aren't approved by the government in D.C.?

Thankfully our rights aren't based on what you think we "need", they are rights and you don't get to decide to ignore it because you think I don't "need" to exercise my rights. The 2nd Amendment tells you why you are allowed to own and bear arms, it is because the government has the right to call up a military (at that time there was no standing army) and those folks who just won a war against the most advanced military in the world at the time wanted to make sure the new government couldn't try to take it away again and make them helpless against an overbearing government....

The right doesn't say, "Because there are rabbits you want to eat, you have the right to keep arms for hunting".
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Into the Night (01-27-2023)

5. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,234 Times in 7,126 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Why would someone "need" a newspaper that isn't controlled by the government? Why would anyone "need" to have a right to stop the government from entering their house unless they have probable cause and a valid warrant if they weren't doing anything illegal? Why would they "need" to be able to march with signs that aren't approved by the government in D.C.?

Thankfully our rights aren't based on what you think we "need", they are rights and you don't get to decide to ignore it because you think I don't "need" to exercise my rights.
    Hey, I'm not the one who wants to take anyone's guns away.

But, I do believe we should have a system that supports Licensing gun owners to be able to own, buy, or sell guns in America- just like the way we do with licenses and registrations we have in every state now for automobiles, that we put in place back when automobiles became a major safety and theft concern.

I believe that automobiles and guns have some things in common, as they are both Public Safety concerns, both can be dangerous, they can both be stolen, and they can end up in the wrong hands.

A system like that addresses many of these issues and would lesson the problems we are having with guns.

I can't even imagine the problems that would come with automobiles if we didn't have that system in place!

Just sayin'

6. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Nope. A clip is a type of loading mechanism for some types of guns. Magazine speed loaders are not a clip.

This is not a clip.

This is not a clip.
    One thing we know, a clip is not a magazine.... a clip puts bullets in line so you can load them into specific guns (into the magazine on that gun, BTW)... LOL.

I'll give you help so you too can know what you are talking about:

https://thehubaz.com/blog/clip-vs-ma...ing%20shooting.

Clips and magazines are both used for loading a gun, but they serve different purposes. A clip holds cartridges together to make them easier to load into the magazine. You can also use a clip to load a cylinder. The magazine feeds rounds into the firearm’s chamber during shooting. In the image above, the part on the left is a clip and the part on the right is a magazine. There are different varieties of clips and magazines that may look different than this example. In general, magazines are referenced more often. This is because all guns besides revolvers or single-shot firearms have a magazine. Conversely, clips are not necessary for the operation of firearms and not all models use them.
    Here are the images it talks about:

While I did somewhat simplify and say they are to help load a magazine and did not also include cylinders doesn't change that what I said was correct. These two things are different from each other.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

leaningright (01-27-2023)

8. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well Frigidaire was a monopoly...... until the Anti-Trust laws started kicking in.

Your clip vs. magazine explanation was great!
    Frigidaire was never a monopoly.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

9. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hey, I'm not the one who wants to take anyone's guns away.

But, I do believe we should have a system that supports Licensing gun owners to be able to own, buy, or sell guns in America- just like the way we do with licenses and registrations we have in every state now for automobiles.

I believe that automobiles and guns have some things in common, as they are both Public Safety concerns, both can be dangerous, they can both be stolen, and they can end up in the wrong hands.

A system like that addresses many of these issues and would lesson the problems we are having with guns.
    Paradox. Irrational.
    I can't even imagine the problems that would come with automobiles if we didn't have that system in place!
    None, particularly.

10. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Dude! SHUTUP for heaven's sake!

You are the most ignorant person I have ever witnessed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-27-2023)

12. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Actually Frigidaire was owned by Electrolux and the US Dept. of Justice filed an anti-trust lawsuit against Electrolux to keep it from buying GE's appliance division in 2015.

You don't have to believe me, you can read for yourself here: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...rics-appliance

13. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Dude! SHUTUP for heaven's sake!

You are the most ignorant person I have ever witnessed.
    I've seen him deny the existence of basic concepts. It's weird why he speaks so "knowledgeably" while being so demonstrably incompetent on any technical topic. (I will have to admit it sounds like maybe he has some electrical training so it's not like he's perfectly without any skill or ability...just not in most things he talks about).

14. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,244 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    So killing 3 people at a time is not good enough? You know that people make them automatic too. If you shoot a hundred bullets and miss, that must not be USEFUL to you.
    It's more like using three bullets to kill one person with one bullet.

15. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,350 Times in 52,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    A real man would just wrestle the deer to the ground, strangle it, and watch the life leave its eyes
    Just like a real man would walk to work or ride a bike instead of driving 10 miles each way and polluting the planet?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

16. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,350 Times in 52,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Actually Frigidaire was owned by Electrolux and the US Dept. of Justice filed an anti-trust lawsuit against Electrolux to keep it from buying GE's appliance division in 2015.

You don't have to believe me, you can read for yourself here: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...rics-appliance
    Soooo...both you and Sybil are correct? Fascinating!
    Thanks for the link:
    "The Department of Justice filed a civil antitrust lawsuit today seeking to block the acquisition of General Electric Company’s appliance business by AB Electrolux and Electrolux North America Inc., whose brands include Frigidaire. The department said that the $3.3 billion acquisition would combine two of the leading manufacturers of ranges, cooktops and wall ovens sold in the United States, eliminating competition that has benefited American consumers through lower prices and more options. According to the department’s complaint, purchasers in the United States spent over $4 billion on these major cooking appliances in 2014."
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

17. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,242 Times in 2,335 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    What makes the AR-15 so lethal?

A. It is semiautomatic.
    B. It is high caliber.
    C. Has a large capacity clip.
    D. Your answer.
    D. It's no more "lethal" than any other firearm.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Into the Night (01-27-2023)

19. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    I've seen him deny the existence of basic concepts. It's weird why he speaks so "knowledgeably" while being so demonstrably incompetent on any technical topic. (I will have to admit it sounds like maybe he has some electrical training so it's not like he's perfectly without any skill or ability...just not in most things he talks about).
    He goes off without even thinking. LIKE PARROTS THAT ARE TRAINED TO SAY THINGS, but have no idea what they are talking about!

Perfect moniker for him!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Saint Guinefort (01-27-2023)