Thread: Florida book bans - the first step before burning

1. #271 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    We read many of those in h.s. They were assigned. But now they are verboten. Florida: Making kids stupid so they'll vote Republican.
    I noticed Mein Kampf isn't on the list?
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-28-2023), ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2023)

3. #272 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 3,066 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    What is a MAGAT??
    No idea... but I DO know what a coward is, and ThatOwlWoman is a prime example of one.

4. #273 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Reminds me of the same old WHITE EVANGELICALISTIC mentality that started the Beatles Ban and the tons of Beatles records that ended up in protest bonfires that swept across the Church Parking lots of the mid-west and Bible Belt of the south, after John Lennon said in a small-town local news reel, "Right now the Beatles are more popular than Jesus"!

I know what John was talking about because I saw it with my own eyes. I saw the Beatles in Concert along with my two sisters, and my feet was literally sitting in a pool of urine that was streaming down the floor, from the over-excited teenage girls during the concert. And all I could hear was their screaming and crying! I'll never forget it.

I mean, John Lennon was actually just mocking his fans for being so overly crazed and pawing after them like idols. I mean, they weren't ready for all the screaming and going so bananas over them during their concerts, the fans couldn't even hear the music, and the Beatles couldn't even hear themselves play, and the fans were so much more into the Beatles image than their beautiful music and lyrics, which was what the Beatles wanted the most appreciation for themselves and what they wanted to be best known for.

They wrapped up their American tour, and never came back again. Never even toured again- and returned to the studio until they split!
    They did similar crap with Pokemon cards when I was in middle school. It was teaching kids witchcraft yadda yadda. It seems like anything that becomes super popular gives these people butthurt.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-28-2023), Geeko Sportivo (01-27-2023), ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2023)

6. #274 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    They did similar crap with Pokemon cards when I was in middle school. It was teaching kids witchcraft yadda yadda. It seems like anything that becomes super popular gives these people butthurt.
    I guess it's just a flippin' miracle that even though we Boomers were exposed to all these seditious books, Elvis and his pelvis, liberal newspapers and TV programming, and Hollywood, and the Devil's favorite music -- rock -- we turned out fine. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #275 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,175 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Nah. You don't understand it at all.

A felony is whatever the State defines it to be.
    Birdbrain forgets all about Federal law!

Oh well, he probably needs his cage liner changed again, because it's as full of shit as he is!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2023)

9. #276 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,023 Times in 8,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Esp. when it comes to child abuse/neglect, threats of suicide or homicide, etc. Those are absolutely serious issues. Now FL wants to put possession of contraband books on the same criminal level.
    Exactly. If a child is being abused, then the teacher can go to prison, even if the teacher had nothing to do with the abuse. Teachers have to be very careful to avoid crimes.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-28-2023), ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2023)

11. #277 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I don't know anyone who worries about that...... we're too busy....
    You claim you are retired. You are a busy retired?

Seriously, if you were a licensed teacher, and claimed you are "too busy" to document issues, you really should not have had a license.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    and there will be far less to worry about in general once teachers are allowed to teach again...
    You believe having to get everything pre-approved by the state government will allow teachers to teach again? They are already having to spend days getting books approved. That is days they are not teaching.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

13. #278 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course not.

Depending on how onerous this new law in FL turns out to be, I have a feeling that teachers are going to rebel.
    I certainly hope so, but I fear teachers are just going to quit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

15. #279 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You believe having to get everything pre-approved by the state government will allow teachers to teach again? They are already having to spend days getting books approved. That is days they are not teaching.
    Plus they spend weeks prepping kids for the standardized tests, and refreshing the students' knowledge at the beginning of the new school year. BTW, your rebuttal to "too busy" was perfect. My daughter has kids six hours day. She spends several more hours making lesson plans, documenting that day's activities, finding new material to present, and so on. Her typical work day is 9-10 hours. She also spends some of her own money on supplies and learning materials. Now just imagine if those materials and those lessons plans had to be pre-approved by some govt. agent. That's what is going on in FL.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Walt (01-28-2023)

17. #280 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I certainly hope so, but I fear teachers are just going to quit.
    I expect that that is exactly what's going to happen. Every class has a troublemaker -- either a student or a parent, or both. I'm sure FL teachers can just imagine if a parent or a kid with a bad parent gets it in for her. Parent gets banned book, has little Billy Bob take it to school and plant it, or claim that Mrs. Jackson gave it to him and *boom* -- Mrs. Jackson is not only fired but looking at arrest.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Walt (01-28-2023)

19. #281 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly. If a child is being abused, then the teacher can go to prison, even if the teacher had nothing to do with the abuse. Teachers have to be very careful to avoid crimes.
    Everyone should be careful to avoid crimes. As a licensed health care provider I am bound by state laws to report any suspected abuse of a child, an elder, or any other patient or person under my care. Ditto for teachers and other school or care facility employees. This is a good thing that protects the public and makes sure that those who are trusted with care for the vulnerable will do the right thing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Walt (01-28-2023)

21. #282 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 119 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Ron DeSantis is still riding on Trump's White Supremacist coattails, but that may blow up in his face when it comes to garnering votes in a national election. Most Americans dislike Nazis, White Supremacists and other haters.

The present tactic seems to be for Florida's far Right leadership to pass vague laws then threaten or selectively prosecute teachers for violating the law and/or abusing children. Due to low pay, most teachers can't afford defending themselves in court so they simply remove all and any books that could violate the law as interpreted by RW wackadoodles.

There is no ban list, just the power of the State to threaten the freedom of teachers and their livelihood. This is more insidious than simply producing a banned list of books like the Torah, the Quran and Catcher in the Rye because it intimidates teachers and school administrations to simply get rid of anything that might be controversial. The effect will be a generation of ignorant Floridian voters who won't be able to compete with better educated Americans. In the end, Florida will become dumber and poorer in the quest to make Florida white again.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/educat...by-limits-law/
    Florida schools start removing books amid reviews prompted by limits in law

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...ry--in-Florida

I can see why you and most on the left would have a problem with that. You sick fucks.

22. #283 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theywillneverlearn! View Post
    I can see why you and most on the left would have a problem with that. You sick fucks.
    Poopeye, you need help for your mental illness.
    Lock Him Up

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

24. #284 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,624 Times in 51,916 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theywillneverlearn! View Post
    I think most Americans are against autocrats and book-burners, Sailor, just like they are against pedophiles, rapists and murderers..Nazis are all three. Is it really a wonder why most Americans and good people all over the world hate Nazis...pedo Nazis or otherwise?

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

26. #285 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 119 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I think most Americans are against autocrats and book-burners, Sailor, just like they are against pedophiles, rapists and murderers..Nazis are all three. Is it really a wonder why most Americans and good people all over the world hate Nazis...pedo Nazis or otherwise?

Obviously not. The democrat party is still here.