Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Democrats push to eliminate the debt ceiling, allow unlimited government borrowing

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    What separated subprime mortgages from prime mortgages is regulation. Republicans want fewer of the regulations that would have prevented 2008.
    what would have prevented 2008 would have been keeping the US government from guaranteeing the underlying debt in remarketing bundles of subprime mortgages.......that wasn't a mistake in not overseeing the banks......that was a mistake of actively involving Fannie and Freddy in a ponzi scheme.......for that you can blame Clinton........later Obama appointed some of the same idiots who set it up to his cabinet......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,022 Times in 8,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    what would have prevented 2008 would have been keeping the US government from guaranteeing the underlying debt in remarketing bundles of subprime mortgages.......that wasn't a mistake in not overseeing the banks......that was a mistake of actively involving Fannie and Freddy in a ponzi scheme.......for that you can blame Clinton........later Obama appointed some of the same idiots who set it up to his cabinet......
    There is so much that is clueless about what you just wrote, it is hard to even find something to make sense of.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

QP! (01-29-2023)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is so much that is clueless about what you just wrote, it is hard to even find something to make sense of.
    ???....seriously?.....are you unaware that the federal government guaranteed the debt so that the bundles of subprime mortgages could be sold?.......were you unaware that this was approved during the Clinton presidency?.......were you unaware that the fact the federal government had to pay off the debts is what kept us from just letting the people who were stupid enough to buy bad loans from losing what they paid for it?....if you were unaware of those irrefutable facts I guess the whole mess wouldn't make sense to you.......educate yourself...
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

are you unaware that the federal government guaranteed the debt so that the bundles of subprime mortgages could be sold?.......were you unaware that this was approved during the Clinton presidency?
    The United States Government did not guarantee the repackaged mortgage debts. If they had, there would not have been problems for the holders of the repackaged mortgage debts. I do not know where you got the idea the US Government had guaranteed them.

Could you mean the government underwrote Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Those were just two possible buyers of repackaged mortgage debt. They were bailed out, but were not guaranteed, and their mortgages were certainly not guaranteed.

I am just guessing what you meant, because you are very outside reality here. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were allowed to buy extremely limited numbers of subprime mortgages when Clinton was President. Bush demanded they buy huge amounts of subprime mortgages when he was President. There were no guarantees on those mortgages, the diversity of the market was supposed to protect them from systemic default.

were you unaware that the fact the federal government had to pay off the debts is what kept us from just letting the people who were stupid enough to buy bad loans from losing what they paid for it?.
    Back to the bailouts. They were not guaranteed ahead of time. They were put in place to prevent systemic collapse. They were mostly loans, so were paid back. The government made a profit off them.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The United States Government did not guarantee the repackaged mortgage debts. If they had, there would not have been problems for the holders of the repackaged mortgage debts. I do not know where you got the idea the US Government had guaranteed them.

Could you mean the government underwrote Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Those were just two possible buyers of repackaged mortgage debt. They were bailed out, but were not guaranteed, and their mortgages were certainly not guaranteed.

I am just guessing what you meant, because you are very outside reality here. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were allowed to buy extremely limited numbers of subprime mortgages when Clinton was President. Bush demanded they buy huge amounts of subprime mortgages when he was President. There were no guarantees on those mortgages, the diversity of the market was supposed to protect them from systemic default.

Back to the bailouts. They were not guaranteed ahead of time. They were put in place to prevent systemic collapse. They were mostly loans, so were paid back. The government made a profit off them.
    I'm sorry......if you are totally unaware of what was going on, don't post about it.......good by and good riddance......

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 79 Times in 76 Posts

What separated subprime mortgages from prime mortgages is regulation. Republicans want fewer of the regulations that would have prevented 2008.
    It was democrats that said there was no problem when Bush wanted changes

8. The Following User Groans At ptif219 For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (01-29-2023)

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I think you mean the Democrats did not fight hard enough against the Republicans, which I agree with.

10. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 245 Times in 239 Posts

??....math is the second oldest profession......why shouldn't the people who wrote the budget get the blame?......
    Math is fine, but your selective application of things is not.

11. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have explained what they need to do. You democrats have no idea what the baseline budgeting system is and have no idea how the budget process is supposed to work. There should never be omnibus bills
    Ok, then stopping pushing this false idea that the Debt Ceiling, is the issue, and that it would be right for the GOP to vote against raising it, and stick instead to the issue of omnibus bills.

I am glad you are admitting now the debt ceiling is not the problem and it should be raised. I am glad you realize not raising it, does nothing to address the debt already accrued in the PAST, and will only add to the debt and make it more expensive.

So if your goal is to add more debt, and make the interest payments on it higher, you support not raising the debt ceiling. If you do that you cannot PRETEND you are against debt, as you are voting, not only for more debt, but for more expensive debt.

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    to be fair, so did dems.

giving loans to dead beats is also problematic. do you always have to be a fool?
    There was no regulations that allowed for loans to dead beats.

The problems with the sub prime crisis, was things like NINJA loans (No Income, NO Job) which were not in fact legal but due to weak regulations and enforcement flooded the system. If there was more required regulations to verify the loans, instead of GOP pushes to dismantle that ability, (same as they do with IRS to make sure they cannot enforce laws), the 2008/9 crisis would not have happened.

13. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

FALSE.

None of that becomes an issue, if the underwritten loan up front, is simply required, via regulation to be verified and qualified.

That is Step 1 and if you do Step 1, no Step is a problem. Fanny and Freddie can help the banks alleviate their balance sheets of the properly issued loans, and there would be no problems. Defaults would be in line with the bundles tolerance, as it was meant to work.

It was the lack of oversight up front, pushed by the GOP, that set up the downstream failures.

14. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QP! View Post
    There was no regulations that allowed for loans to dead beats.

The problems with the sub prime crisis, was things like NINJA loans (No Income, NO Job) which were not in fact legal but due to weak regulations and enforcement flooded the system. If there was more required regulations to verify the loans, instead of GOP pushes to dismantle that ability, (same as they do with IRS to make sure they cannot enforce laws), the 2008/9 crisis would not have happened.
    Glad to see someone here finally gets it. A large part of the problem is that every Tom, Dick and Harry decided they were qualified to be a loan broker. And the banks were so hungry for these loans that they did not care about the underwriting standards. The crooked brokers took their cut, the short term lenders took their cut, the loans ended up with MBS issuers, and the rating agencies refused to acknowledge the absolute crap that was in those instruments. Throw in some 30+ to 1 leverage and investment banks owned by S&Ls and you have the 2009 crisis. Over 80% of subprime loans were bought by private investment banks, many that Fannie and Freddie refused. This was a crisis of greed. Nothing more, nothing less.

15. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QP! View Post
    FALSE.

None of that becomes an issue, if the underwritten loan up front, is simply required, via regulation to be verified and qualified.

That is Step 1 and if you do Step 1, no Step is a problem. Fanny and Freddie can help the banks alleviate their balance sheets of the properly issued loans, and there would be no problems. Defaults would be in line with the bundles tolerance, as it was meant to work.

It was the lack of oversight up front, pushed by the GOP, that set up the downstream failures.
    I mentioned this above but.....Fannie and Freddie bundled a very small percentage of subprime loans. Almost all were sold to private investment banks. PMPs narrative is false and has been proven false over and over again.

16. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,564 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Bush had the house and senate. Phil Gramm, a republican, keep trying until he got the Economic Modernization Act through. It removed banking restraints that kept banks from intermingling the people.s bank accounts and their investment services. He also gutted the FDR age regulations of Glass/Steagal. Gramm's wife was an Exon exec. I remember when Gramm got it through. It was late at night, 2 0r 3 AM. The Dems came out saying that a very dangerous act was passed.

17. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the debt sealing, it embarrasses the Republicans every time it becomes an issue

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!