Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I think I might have a legal issue with my company

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,167 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    You don't have to tell me that, I just bought a new truck. They discounted to just above MSRP because the sales freak I got was a new hire and junior while I was offering to pay cash for the vehicle. Ended up cutting them a $20,000 casher's check with a finance on the other roughly $28,000 at just over 5% (which I haven't decided if I'll just drop a check on them for the payoff or not). But they were firm on not going below MSRP on the sale.

The poor salesguy didn't quite know what to make of me. I wasn't exactly friendly... But then again, I didn't have to be...

Oh, my bank sent me a special invitation to lease a Maserati last week, as if... Who the hell would want an overpriced Italian POS?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-23-2023), Saint Guinefort (01-23-2023), ThatOwlWoman (01-23-2023)

3. #77 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,509 Times in 16,972 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

My friend who is the manager of a dealership says the part of his job that sucks is dealing with people like me!
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-23-2023)

5. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

You don't have to tell me that, I just bought a new truck. They discounted to just above MSRP because the sales freak I got was a new hire and junior while I was offering to pay cash for the vehicle. Ended up cutting them a $20,000 casher's check with a finance on the other roughly $28,000 at just over 5% (which I haven't decided if I'll just drop a check on them for the payoff or not). But they were firm on not going below MSRP on the sale.

The poor salesguy didn't quite know what to make of me. I wasn't exactly friendly... But then again, I didn't have to be...

Oh, my bank sent me a special invitation to lease a Maserati last week, as if... Who the hell would want an overpriced Italian POS?
    I rented a Maserati Quattroporte in Vegas, once, TAG.
    Trust me. it's not a piece of shit.
    Maybe a truck driver like yourself wouldn't appreciate it, but it's not a piece of shit.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Rune (01-29-2023)

7. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which is worse?

A state that goes all-out to protect workers at the expense of employers or a state that goes all out to protect employers at the expense of workers.

In states that practice the former, there is a shortage of good jobs and employers because they leave the state leaving workers unemployed. The employers who stay start treating their workers poorly in most cases because of regulations forced on them by the state making it hard to stay in business. In the later, there is a mix of good and bad employers, the bad ones taking advantage of the workers, but at least everyone has a job...
    There's a happy medium, which we have been enjoying for decades now thanks to labor unions and labor law. Guess which party is hell bent on dismantling things like workers comp, OSHA/workplace safety, minimum wage, max hours worked w/o overtime pay, the right to organize and form a union, and so on? Hint: The name does not start with "Democrat."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (01-23-2023), Guno צְבִי (01-23-2023), LurchAddams (01-23-2023), NiftyNiblick (01-24-2023)

9. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    There's a happy medium, which we have been enjoying for decades now thanks to labor unions and labor law. Guess which party is hell bent on dismantling things like workers comp, OSHA/workplace safety, minimum wage, max hours worked w/o overtime pay, the right to organize and form a union, and so on? Hint: The name does not start with "Democrat."
    Sure. I was taking the two extremes as a comparison to make the difference more vivid.

10. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,733 Times in 14,329 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    The latter. The latter by a long shot.

The employers (in the absence of a union) and especially in right to work states have a huge lever over the employee. And we've seen throughout almost all of history how that relationship goes. The Gilded Age is awash in the blood of strikers who were gunned down by wealthy industrialists. We've seen how that works.

There are no states like that. There are states that put limits on the employer, yes, but not totally at the expense of the employer. Usually the reason companies don't go to a specific geography these days is because they can't get a sweet tax deal there. That's the name of the game: screw the locals and get freebies from the municipality in exchange for bringing a few low-wage jobs in.
    Yes. Or the cheap labor in non union, right to work states
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-23-2023)

12. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Since I started in this business the first thing you're supposed to ask a fresh up (walk-in customer) after greeting them is if they're already working with someone at the shop. I wasn't asked to do that here.
    Growing up in a home with a car salesman for a father, I'm keen to the struggles that salespeople have. I've purchased 4 VWs at the same dealership going back to '08.

I always make sure to use the same salesman, and on the occasions I was approached on a day that he wasn't there, I simply told them that I'll wait for him to come in on Monday. I was only passing by the dealership, and decided to check the new colors for the year.

Most people don't have a clue that salespeople are humans stuck in a shitty job. If you can move a few used cars, you can feed yourself.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-23-2023), LurchAddams (01-23-2023)

14. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wrong. "At will" means an employer can fire anyone without a reason. TX is an "at-will" state, my friend.
    Yea. That comment made no sense at all.

There is no such thing as seniority in a non union shop

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-23-2023)

16. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Being laid off is not the same thing as being fired.
    I fail to see the difference

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-23-2023)

18. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Growing up in a home with a car salesman for a father, I'm keen to the struggles that salespeople have. I've purchased 4 VWs at the same dealership going back to '08.

I always make sure to use the same salesman, and on the occasions I was approached on a day that he wasn't there, I simply told them that I'll wait for him to come in on Monday. I was only passing by the dealership, and decided to check the new colors for the year.

Most people don't have a clue that salespeople are humans stuck in a shitty job. If you can move a few used cars, you can feed yourself.
    It's a numbers game. I love sales in general. I love working with people. I love the look in their eye when they see something they want and I can sell it to them.

And like you, I'm loyal. When my last vehicle was totaled, I went back to the same dealership and salesman who sold me the vehicle and love the current vehicle he sold me.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

19. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yea. That comment made no sense at all.

There is no such thing as seniority in a non union shop
    I don't know why people in this thread are being such dickwads - I'm talking about Celtic and floridafan. I can only assume they hate themselves and just want to spread the pain.

Hawkeye's just a mentally ill moron.

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

20. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's a numbers game. I love sales in general. I love working with people. I love the look in their eye when they see something they want and I can sell it to them.

And like you, I'm loyal. When my last vehicle was totaled, I went back to the same dealership and salesman who sold me the vehicle and love the current vehicle he sold me.
    Making a major purchase is supposed to release the same endorphins as those released during sex.

You see people when they are making the second largest purchase in their lives in many cases. It can be rewarding for sure.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-24-2023)

22. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know why people in this thread are being such dickwads - I'm talking about Celtic and floridafan. I can only assume they hate themselves and just want to spread the pain.

Hawkeye's just a mentally ill moron.
    I had to relieve Hawkeye of his duties a few years ago. I just can't read that nonsense. Florida has serious psych issues. On a handful of occasions, she has attacked me for a post where I was agreeing with her. I don't even bother to quote her posts.

Celtic is like the blind squirrel. Every so often he makes a valid point.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-23-2023), LurchAddams (01-24-2023), Rune (01-29-2023)

24. #89 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,509 Times in 16,972 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

My friend does quite well. He has a beautiful $400,000+ home out in the sticks and his back yard it over 100yd. long with a nice picnic pavilion at the bottom of it. He uses a golf cart to go to and from it.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

LurchAddams (01-24-2023)

26. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Making a major purchase is supposed to release the same endorphins as those released during sex.

You see people when they are making the second largest purchase in their lives in many cases. It can be rewarding for sure.
    No wonder I catch my customer smoking cigarettes after each purchase

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Althea (01-24-2023)