Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear News Thread

1. #346 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 79 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    were you also one of the idiots who blocked ethanol because we would have starved?.....
    Fow many years I refused to use ethanol because it is not good for your engine

2. #347 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,245 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

we both know this argument started about wind farms........I guess now that I have shown you how stupid you are you want to change that to solar....

only an idiot would put a solar panel on farm land.........the only ones I've ever seen were out in the arid, untillable desert or around factories.......you waste your time with your rants....
    Actually, the people who construct large commercial solar arrays LOVE to use farmland. The reason might not be obvious, but it is the reason that is true. Farmland doesn't have endangered species on it. Farmland is already graded flat. Farmland already has roads and other infrastructure embedded within it. This means for the solar array construction company that they don't have to do all the shit that raw land entails.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

serendipity (03-29-2023)

4. #348 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    actually, it's only "bad" for any plastic parts in the fuel injection system......fixing that is called Flex Fuel......its fairly common now.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #349 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Actually, the people who construct large commercial solar arrays LOVE to use farmland. The reason might not be obvious, but it is the reason that is true. Farmland doesn't have endangered species on it. Farmland is already graded flat. Farmland already has roads and other infrastructure embedded within it. This means for the solar array construction company that they don't have to do all the shit that raw land entails.
    on the other hand, there's plenty of land that's flat, arid and cheap for those very reasons........nobody wants to farm it.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #350 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Actually, the people who construct large commercial solar arrays LOVE to use farmland.
    contradictory to what they actually say....

from SunShare's website soliciting land owners who want to lease their land for a solar farm......

Of course, land can only be a good match for a solar farm developer if leasing is the right fit for the landowner. There are many benefits to leasing land for solar development, with the most obvious being the financial gains.

We’ve stated how solar can be a valuable option for unproductive land that cannot be farmed, but solar can also often be a more profitable option for farmers who grow dry land crops, have low or unreliable crop yields, or do not have water rights. And if you are a farmer who is interested in leasing your land for solar, but want to continue farming, Sunshare is a perfect partner. Sunshare has experience in developing farmers’ unused pivot corners, and in developing agro voltaic projects (in which farmers can actually grow crops under the solar panels)!

Industrial or commercial properties can also be leased to a solar farm developer if the land meets the necessary criteria. In fact, solar is an excellent use for land where oil and gas infrastructure is housed, as this land is frequently unable to be used for agriculture or residential or commercial development.
    https://mysunshare.com/blog/land-req...or-solar-farm/

7. #351 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Grawr! I want 94 octane leaded gas! Gasoline, motherfucka! GRAWR!

8. #352 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,049 Times in 7,486 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

When I was a boy, I honestly thought that by now,
    if we hadn't blown ourselves off the face of the earth with nuclear weapons yet,
    each home would have its own little nuclear reactor the way it has a furnace now.

That was childish optimism, a trait from which I unburdened myself at a very young age.
    Adequate intelligence results in that.

Based on how the world and our species have evolved together since,
    expecting the nuclear holocaust was childish optimism as well.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

9. #353 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,101 Times in 11,674 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Renewables will not be able to supply our needs without causing a food shortage
    Since oil and natural gas are both renewable fuels, they already do.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

10. #354 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,101 Times in 11,674 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

It still isn't. Ethanol is hygroscopic. The water it retains can cause rusting of parts in the fuel system. Special gaskets material must be used to handle it. There are basically only two reasons for using it as a burn moderator:
    1. It's heavily subsidized. So much so that it has basically destroyed the sugar cane industry in the States. A side effect, of course is all that corn syrup being used as a sweetener these days.
    2. Catalytic converters (effectively a pollution to pollution converter) are mandated on cars, along with their attendant costs in rare earth metals to construct them (why people steal them...they are VALUABLE!). These devices don't do anything useful, and are poisoned by TEL (tetraethyl lead).

TEL has advantages:
    1. It also acts as a lubricant.
    2. It also acts as a coolant.
    3. It WAS cheap until it was outlawed.
    4. It is a superior burn moderator, much more effective per ounce.
    5. Fuel separation issues don't occur with TEL. They do with ethanol.

Burn moderators are necessary in gasoline used in cars because cars compress the air in their cylinders to aid combustion. Their purpose is to keep the gasoline from burning too quickly, resulting in a 'push' rather than an explosion (a ping) in the engine. Pings are damaging to the engine and don't produce much power.

Older cars were particularly subject to ethanol corrosion. The stuff isn't compatible with the gaskets used in older cars and fuel leaks would also develop.

Your reason for not wanting to use ethanol has backing, particularly for older cars.

Ethanol is not allowed in engines for small aircraft. It causes the engine to fail in flight, usually due to fuel separation (the moderator comes out of solution). This can happen more easily at high altitude or low barometric pressure (such as a storm).
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

ptif219 (03-30-2023)

12. #355 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

on the other hand, there's plenty of land that's flat, arid and cheap for those very reasons........nobody wants to farm it.......
    Until you look at an actual plant developed on that sort of land like Ivanpah in California. There, they had to do a massive environmental impact study that took years, then had to buy additional land and move hundreds of desert tortoises, an endangered species, etc., etc., etc. Farmland is easier to work with. In Arizona, farmland along the Gila River between Casa Grande and Yuma has become prime real estate for solar for those reasons.

13. #356 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Until you look at an actual plant developed on that sort of land like Ivanpah in California. There, they had to do a massive environmental impact study that took years, then had to buy additional land and move hundreds of desert tortoises, an endangered species, etc., etc., etc. Farmland is easier to work with. In Arizona, farmland along the Gila River between Casa Grande and Yuma has become prime real estate for solar for those reasons.
    so demmycrats are an obstacle to a healthy environment.......go figure......

14. #357 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so demmycrats are an obstacle to a healthy environment.......go figure......
    Well, China, the Soviet Union, N. Korea, etc., were / are some of the world's worst polluters and least environmentally conscious places.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Into the Night (03-30-2023)

16. #358 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

actually, it's only "bad" for any plastic parts in the fuel injection system......fixing that is called Flex Fuel......its fairly common now.....
    Don't run in your air cooled engines. I ran ethanol free premium in my Harley

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

18. #359 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Grawr! I want 94 octane leaded gas! Gasoline, motherfucka! GRAWR!
    Just buy aircraft fuel

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ptif219 For This Post:

20. #360 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Since oil and natural gas are both renewable fuels, they already do.
    Democrats call them fossil fuels