Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Republicans want to ban SNAP recipients from buying meat, white bread,

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    IN the bill you posted here is the key section apparently:

"This division requires HHS to request a waiver from the United States department of agriculture, food and nutrition service, to provide that the eligible foods under the state administration of SNAP only include those items defined as supplemental foods in the most current Iowa special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children (WIC) approved food list"

The article mentions that WIC is considered a SUPPLEMENT to SNAP and as such the food choices are far more restricted since it isn't intended to be the same as SNAP.

Hope that helps. Now you see they weren't actually lying necessarily. You just didn't read the bill closely enough.
    by the way, I did a search for the bolded words in the text of the bill.......no hits.....thanks.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,025 Times in 8,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon 2023 View Post
    They sell the foodstamps for cash $.50 on the dollar to buy beer and cigarettes, then eat at shelters!
    Well, Food Stamps as actual physical things you can sell stopped existing about 25 years ago. Clinton had the states phase them out. If someone sells you a SNAP card, they can just turn around and report it stolen... Defeating the whole purpose of selling the card.

The main real SNAP fraud that still happens is in rural religious communities, think break away Mormons. They are required by their religion to give their SNAP cards to the religion, which runs a grocery store. They do get food out of the deal, but at inflated prices. And in general, they are lying about not having a father in the picture, it is just that the father has several wives.

These groups would rarely drink beer or smoke cigarettes. There would be no soup kitchen for these people to eat at.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-25-2023)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,605 Times in 9,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Well, Food Stamps as actual physical things you can sell stopped existing about 25 years ago. Clinton had the states phase them out. If someone sells you a SNAP card, they can just turn around and report it stolen... Defeating the whole purpose of selling the card.

The main real SNAP fraud that still happens is in rural religious communities, think break away Mormons. They are required by their religion to give their SNAP cards to the religion, which runs a grocery store. They do get food out of the deal, but at inflated prices. And in general, they are lying about not having a father in the picture, it is just that the father has several wives.

These groups would rarely drink beer or smoke cigarettes. There would be no soup kitchen for these people to eat at.
    Your naive
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,025 Times in 8,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon 2023 View Post
    Your naive
    I used to give financial advice to poor people in Philadelphia for a charity. I really have been over just about every poor urban financial budget you can think of. It was an experience.

The weirdest thing I saw was a man complaining that the free food he was trying to give to the homeless was being stolen by men in suits. I actually took a day off work to see this, but an old man would make sandwiches to hand out to the homeless, but a bunch of men in suits would line up for the free sandwiches. It was the first time I had ever seen a Patek Grand Complication, a watch worth about a million dollars. A billionaire investment fund manager, and his very rich employees would line up to get free food.

I am not allowed to say his name, because I do not want to be sued, but it was 1997, Philadelphia, and he ran an investment fund... Some of you might be able to figure out who it was.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Oh, Did you find you a new word to replace the NIGGER word?

Every time we see you use the WOKE word- all we see is NIGGER because you always try to make the black man out to be something as bad as you can.

Do you actually think using the word Woke instead of Nigger makes you any less a hopeless disgusting racist?

You are truly a piece of shit!

So why don't you Shut the fuck up already YOU WHITE NIGGER trailer park trash- probably now living on welfare and food stamps yourself.
    No woke = stupid and your post prices the point.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance" - Noam Chomsky

"Leftists actually think everyone is as stupid as a leftist." - Yakuda

"No, Trump isn't a fascist, tatt boy." - moon

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Iowa Republicans proposed a bill that would drastically limit what foods SNAP recipients can buy.
    People wouldn't be able to buy grocery staples like white bread, American cheese, fresh meat, and more.
    Critics argue the bill would further burden low-income people who are already food-insecure.
    Iowa Republicans are proposing sweeping changes to the state's food assistance program — including banning beneficiaries from buying grocery staples like meat, American cheese, or flour.

SNAP recipients wouldn't be able to buy a variety of foods, including white grain bread, buns with added nuts or seeds, white rice, pasta sauce, canned fruits or soups, baked beans, cheese slices, butter, or flour.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nut...8b73ef7544821e
    From the article

"They would instead be limited to foods approved for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program." Instead of whining why don't you change the "...foods approved for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program."?
    Last edited by Yakuda; 01-25-2023 at 10:47 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (01-25-2023)

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    From the article

"They would instead be limited to foods approved for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program." Instead of whining why don't you change the "...foods for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program."?
    I expect its because WIC has stricter requirements for participation.......you need to be a woman.......with children.......SNAP is available to anyone who receives unemployment compensation.......come to think of it, why aren't we giving women and children red meat and cheese and making the unemployed live on white bread and beans......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I expect its because WIC has stricter requirements for participation.......you need to be a woman.......with children.......SNAP is available to anyone who receives unemployment compensation.......come to think of it, why aren't we giving women and children red meat and cheese and making the unemployed live on white bread and beans......
    WIC is supposed to be a SUPPLEMENT to SNAP.

You can't use the supplement in place of the main program.

It's like saying I get a free undercoat when I buy the car so the auto dealership just decides that I don't get the car but I do get the undercoat. Can I drive that to work?

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

WIC is supposed to be a SUPPLEMENT to SNAP.

You can't use the supplement in place of the main program.
    I didn't say use it in place of......I said make it better than.......

personally I don't think your undercoating analogy flies when talking about white bread rather than whole wheat bread.......maybe if you compared the undercoating/car idea to just giving the women with infants the twisty tie but not the bag of bread.......

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I didn't say use it in place of......I said make it better than.......

personally I don't think your undercoating analogy flies when talking about white bread rather than whole wheat bread.......maybe if you compared the undercoating/car idea to just giving the women with infants the twisty tie but not the bag of bread.......
    Do the poor in the US have it very good? Do you think?

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    No woke = stupid and your post prices the point.
    Who told you that?

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Who told you that?
    You did as already indicated.

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do the poor in the US have it very good? Do you think?
    that you can ask that shows you don't understand the conversation........

tell me this......are you proud of the fact you've ignored the inability of women with infants to get red meat all these years?.....

16. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

that you can ask that shows you don't understand the conversation........

tell me this......are you proud of the fact you've ignored the inability of women with infants to get red meat all these years?.....
    WIC is a SUPPLEMENT to SNAP.

17. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

WIC is a SUPPLEMENT to SNAP.
    are white bread and beans a supplement to white bread, beans, whole wheat and red meat?......