Thread: Conservatives want to raise taxes and kill SS and Medicare

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    If you buy something for $100 and with tax the total is $130, what percent did you pay in taxes?
    30%.......now if you file a bill in the House proposing a 23% sales tax, what is the percent sales tax are you proposing?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

The S&P 500 is not risky in the long-run. Take any year after about 1950 and ten years later it has gained. It goes up and down, but still results in a larger lump sum than would pay more than SS averaging about 10% a year. You don't have to be good at it to buy an index fund. Keep the money in that fund after retirement and it continues to grow even after withdrawing living expenses.

The latest trustee report says by 2035 the system will be able to prove 80% of benefits, so only a 20% shortfall.

The Republicans had a majority in House and Senate and president on several occasions. If they have wanted to end those programs so long why didn't they attempt it? Bush did not try to end SS. They did not end or reduce spending in any program.
    No, the S&P is not risky (riskier than US bonds, however). But you can't force people to invest in the S&P. And you certainly can't let the government play in private markets. I can't imagine a worse idea. If you let people decide what to invest in, they are going to gamble. And lose. Bitcoin. Gamestop. High risk investments. Sorry, but privatization is a recipe for complete disaster. The tigers are licking their chops.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,758 Times in 4,508 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    No, the S&P is not risky (riskier than US bonds, however). But you can't force people to invest in the S&P. And you certainly can't let the government play in private markets. I can't imagine a worse idea. If you let people decide what to invest in, they are going to gamble. And lose. Bitcoin. Gamestop. High risk investments. Sorry, but privatization is a recipe for complete disaster. The tigers are licking their chops.
    It doesn't have to be that complicated. Just as people must pay the 6.2% SS tax matched by their employer, that money would still be paid and go into approved mutual funds of the S&P 500 index fund. That is like a 401(k) or 403(b) currently used. People don't decide what to invest in aside from perhaps choosing the mutual fund family.

The government is not playing in the market other than sending the contributions to the designated fund. Or, to eliminate all risks, have those contributions purchase treasury bonds. Everything about that is better than the current system. The problem is we can't let people contribute to those accounts because their contributions are needed for current benefits. This system is used by many state, school, city and private employers.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    30%.......now if you file a bill in the House proposing a 23% sales tax, what is the percent sales tax are you proposing?.....
    Under the bill introduced in the House it would be 23% in 2025.

After 2025 it would be (1) 14.91% plus the (2) old-age, survivors and disability insurance rate, and (3) the hospital insurance rate.

I have read that McCarthy will allow the House to vote on this bill as part of the deal to elect him speaker.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Under the bill introduced in the House it would be 23% in 2025.

After 2025 it would be (1) 14.91% plus the (2) old-age, survivors and disability insurance rate, and (3) the hospital insurance rate.

I have read that McCarthy will allow the House to vote on this bill as part of the deal to elect him speaker.
    so we all agree that the 30% was a lie......now, tell us what's wrong with voting on a proposed bill.......isn't that how government works in a democracy?.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so we all agree that the 30% was a lie......now, tell us what's wrong with voting on a proposed bill.......isn't that how government works in a democracy?.......
    No, it isn't a lie. It is called 30% because it would add 30% to the pretax price. But the tax is 23% of the total cost of the product including the tax.

I didn't hear anybody say it was wrong to vote on it. But it is a waste of time since it has no chance of passing.

Also, in a democracy the members should decide if there will be a vote. We shouldn't be voting on a bill because of a deal made with a group knowing it can't pass.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"William Gale of the Brookings Institute has noted that it isn’t accurate to refer to the Fair Tax as 23%. He indicates that the rate is actually 30%. Fair Tax defines the sales tax as "$0.23 out of every dollar spent," which means that a $0.23 tax is added to every $0.77, not to every dollar."

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-the-fair-tax-plan-pros-cons-effect-3305765

8. The Following User Groans At Flash For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (01-22-2023)

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, it isn't a lie. It is called 30% because it would add 30% to the pretax price. But the tax is 23% of the total cost of the product including the tax.
    so instead of a lie its just something somebody made up based on idle speculation and then stated as if it were a fact.......okay......

Also, in a democracy the members should decide if there will be a vote.
    get serious.......in this country the speaker of the house has always decided if and when there will be a vote on anything.......you know that, I know that, everybody knows that.......

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"William Gale of the Brookings Institute has noted that it isn’t accurate to refer to the Fair Tax as 23%. He indicates that the rate is actually 30%. Fair Tax defines the sales tax as "$0.23 out of every dollar spent," which means that a $0.23 tax is added to every $0.77, not to every dollar."

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-the-fair-tax-plan-pros-cons-effect-3305765
    stupid statement......it is what it is.....a 23% tax on what is spent........when I go to the store now they don't say the 6% sales tax is calculated on every 94 cents......if you want to say it reduces purchasing power you are right......but its pure propaganda to call it a 30% tax.......under your logic the next person would have to make the argument that its really a 38% tax because its on every 70 cents spent......

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Because everything Conservatism touches dies, the GOP majority in the House now wants to establish a 30% national sales tax.

Every single Conservative wants to raise your taxes and take away your entitlements.

McCarthy isn't proposing it exactly. He has said he will allow the proposal, which comes from another GOP member, to get a floor vote. Republicans like a fat national sales tax because it will shift a bigger tax burden onto ordinary Americans and give wealthy Americans the financial assistance they so badly need.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

12. The Following User Groans At martin For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-22-2023)

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Nothing wrong with it. Let voters see what their representatives want to do to them.j
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

stupid statement......it is what it is.....a 23% tax on what is spent........when I go to the store now they don't say the 6% sales tax is calculated on every 94 cents......if you want to say it reduces purchasing power you are right......but its pure propaganda to call it a 30% tax.......under your logic the next person would have to make the argument that its really a 38% tax because its on every 70 cents spent......
    You already agreed that if you buy an item for $100 and pay a total of $130 with the tax, it is a 30% tax. The Fair Tax people claim that same $130 equals a 23% tax.

Any propaganda is coming from the Fair Tax people who want to hide the fact that they need to impose a 30% tax to equal the same amount of revenue currently raised by the income tax, payroll tax, gift, and estate tax.

If your state sales tax is 6% and you purchase a $1000 item, the sales tax is 60$ for $160 total. The Fair Tax people would claim it is a 37.5% sales tax.

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You already agreed that if you buy an item for $100 and pay a total of $130 with the tax, it is a 30% tax. The Fair Tax people claim that same $130 equals a 23% tax.

Any propaganda is coming from the Fair Tax people who want to hide the fact that they need to impose a 30% tax to equal the same amount of revenue currently raised by the income tax, payroll tax, gift, and estate tax.

If your state sales tax is 6% and you purchase a $1000 item, the sales tax is 60$ for $160 total. The Fair Tax people would claim it is a 37.5% sales tax.
    your posts are really stupid today......sorry, can't help you......

16. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

your posts are really stupid today......sorry, can't help you......
    Review some math. You actually got it right the first time and then turned around and disagreed with the people who got the same answer as you did but disagreed with the Fair Tax interpretation.

17. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Review some math. You actually got it right the first time and then turned around and disagreed with the people who got the same answer as you did but disagreed with the Fair Tax interpretation.
    liar.....

18. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Flash (01-22-2023)