Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Locally caught fish are full of dangerous chemicals called PFAS, study finds

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,603 Times in 9,132 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default Locally caught fish are full of dangerous chemicals called PFAS, study finds

CNN —
    Fish caught in the fresh waters of the nation’s streams and rivers and the Great Lakes contain dangerously high levels of PFOS, short for perfluorooctane sulfonic acid, a known synthetic toxin phased out by the federal government, according to a study of data from the US Environmental Protection Agency.

The chemical PFOS is part of a family of manufactured additives known as perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, widely used since the 1950s to make consumer products nonstick and resistant to stains, water and grease damage.

Called “forever chemicals” because they fail to break down easily in the environment, PFAS has leached into the nation’s drinking water via public water systems and private wells. The chemicals then accumulate in the bodies of fish, shellfish, livestock, dairy and game animals that people eat, experts say.

“The levels of PFOS found in freshwater fish often exceeded an astounding 8,000 parts per trillion,” said study coauthor David Andrews, a senior scientist at Environmental Working Group, the nonprofit environmental health organization that analyzed the data. The report was published Wednesday in the journal Environmental Research.

In comparison, the EPA has allowed only 70 parts per trillion of PFOS in the nation’s drinking water. Due to growing health concerns, in 2022 the EPA recommended the allowable level of PFOS in drinking water be lowered from 70 to 0.02 parts per trillion.

“You’d have to drink an incredible amount of water — we estimate a month of contaminated water — to get the same exposure as you would from a single serving of freshwater fish,” Andrews said.

“Consuming even a single (locally caught freshwater) fish per year can measurably and significantly change the levels of PFOS in your blood,” Andrews said.

Chemicals in the PFAS family are linked to high cholesterol, cancer and various chronic diseases, as well as a limited antibody response to vaccines in both adults and children, according to a report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

“This is an important paper,” said toxicologist Linda Birnbaum, former director of the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences and the National Toxicology Program.

“To find this level of contamination in fish across the country, even in areas not close to industry where you might expect heavy contamination, is very concerning. These chemicals are everywhere,” she said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/17/healt...ess/index.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-17-2023), Phantasmal (01-18-2023), ThatOwlWoman (01-18-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

What am I gonna do with these?

Especially since they now look like this…

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-18-2023), serendipity (01-18-2023)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 146 Posts
    Blog Entries

This bullshit emanates from yet another pressure group, the Environmental Working Group (EWG),
    which uses an authoritative sounding name to peddle scientific half-truths and outright fabrications. Along with Greenpeace and PETA, it is beloved by activists but detested by scientists.

Of course Kartoon Kenny buys into this lock stock and barrel.
    Last edited by serendipity; 01-18-2023 at 05:57 AM.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,097 Times in 12,624 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like fishing will be illegal soon.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Sounds like fishing will be illegal soon.
    Best that you dont continue fishing in Lakes Michigan or Huron.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    This bullshit emanates from yet another pressure group, the Environmental Working Group (EWG),
    which uses an authoritative sounding name to peddle scientific half-truths and outright fabrications. Along with Greenpeace and PETA, it is beloved by activists but detested by scientists.

Of course Kartoon Kenny buys into this lock stock and barrel.
    Can you prove bullshit, or just your bullshit opinion again?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2023)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,097 Times in 12,624 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Everything that represents freedom or Old America is under threat.

"SAFETY" is almost always the excuse for the taking of our freedom.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,337 Times in 53,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    [SIZE=3][B]CNN —
    Fish caught in the fresh waters of the nation’s streams and rivers and the Great Lakes contain dangerously high levels of PFOS, short for perfluorooctane sulfonic acid, a known synthetic toxin phased out by the federal government, according to a study of data from the US Environmental Protection Agency.

The chemical PFOS is part of a family of manufactured additives known as perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, widely used since the 1950s to make consumer products nonstick and resistant to stains, water and grease damage.

Called “forever chemicals” because they fail to break down easily in the environment, PFAS has leached into the nation’s drinking water via public water systems and private wells. The chemicals then accumulate in the bodies of fish, shellfish, livestock, dairy and game animals that people eat, experts say.

“The levels of PFOS found in freshwater fish often exceeded an astounding 8,000 parts per trillion,” said study coauthor David Andrews, a senior scientist at Environmental Working Group, the nonprofit environmental health organization that analyzed the data. The report was published Wednesday in the journal Environmental Research.

In comparison, the EPA has allowed only 70 parts per trillion of PFOS in the nation’s drinking water. Due to growing health concerns, in 2022 the EPA recommended the allowable level of PFOS in drinking water be lowered from 70 to 0.02 parts per trillion.

“You’d have to drink an incredible amount of water — we estimate a month of contaminated water — to get the same exposure as you would from a single serving of freshwater fish,” Andrews said.

“Consuming even a single (locally caught freshwater) fish per year can measurably and significantly change the levels of PFOS in your blood,” Andrews said.

Chemicals in the PFAS family are linked to high cholesterol, cancer and various chronic diseases, as well as a limited antibody response to vaccines in both adults and children, according to a report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

“This is an important paper,” said toxicologist Linda Birnbaum, former director of the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences and the National Toxicology Program.

“To find this level of contamination in fish across the country, even in areas not close to industry where you might expect heavy contamination, is very concerning. These chemicals are everywhere,” she said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/17/healt...ess/index.html
    It's a serious problem even up here in the "wilderness." A lot of the homes near the airport, which used to be an Air Force base, have contaminated wells. They also use PFAS as a fire-fighting foam. That's how it came to contaminate the soil and water in that area, from routine crash drills where the foam was dispersed. Lake Superior fish is generally considered safe, but many inland lakes' fish are not.

We have truly shit in our nest.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (01-18-2023), christiefan915 (01-18-2023), Guno צְבִי (01-18-2023), Phantasmal (01-18-2023), signalmankenneth (01-18-2023)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Everything that represents freedom or Old America is under threat.

"SAFETY" is almost always the excuse for the taking of our freedom.
    You are still free to do as you choose. If you insist on endangering your health, it's your choice.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    What am I gonna do with these?

Especially since they now look like this…

Nice catch! I think you're good; not many contaminated spots in OK.

Mapping the PFAS contamination crisis: New data show 2,858 sites in 50 states and two territories
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2023), leaningright (01-18-2023)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

PFAS have been a topic of concern here in Michigan since the 80s........if I recall correctly it was first noticed around the military air base near Battle Creek......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

catch and release......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (01-18-2023)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Can you prove bullshit, or just your bullshit opinion again?
    He's some twit Brit living in Thailand who knows zilch about anything in the U.S., but nevertheless continues to pound his keyboard in rage. lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2023)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    He's some twit Brit living in Thailand who knows zilch about anything in the U.S., but nevertheless continues to pound his keyboard in rage. lol
    Anything you say, handjob is always a lie.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    PFAS have been a topic of concern here in Michigan since the 80s........if I recall correctly it was first noticed around the military air base near Battle Creek......
    And around K.I. Sawyer here, as well. Fire-fighting foam.