Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: NFL Playoffs

1. #286 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    That is me most years. The last time I had an interest in a SB team was the year the Falcons were in it against New England.

Biggest meltdown in the history of the game. lol
    The only little downside for me about the great Patriot comeback was that Matt Ryan was a great Boston College quarterback as a kid.
    He was an actual college student, too. Graduated in four years and used his last year of eligibility to go to grad school.

Still, I fondly remember that game. Grady--Belichick--Kraft.......the Holy Trinity of football for twenty years.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #287 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    That is me most years. The last time I had an interest in a SB team was the year the Falcons were in it against New England.

Biggest meltdown in the history of the game. lol
    Me too. 1992 for me. But I will enjoy the food, the game and the company…on digital delay. I always do.

3. #288 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Kelce is a huge loss for KC. Might even things up a little.
    Didn’t turn out to be a loss at all. It was another nail biter of the game but holy fuck was the officiating bad. I don’t know who advises officials on rule making but god are they bad. I’ve only seen two games this year where officiating didn’t impact the outcome of a game. Between the non-calls, the phantom penalties called and the overly complicated rule and their hair splitting, I’m about to give up on the NFL.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Life is Golden (01-31-2023), Stone (01-31-2023), WinterBorn (01-31-2023)

5. #289 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Lot's of talk about who the greatest QB is. I really don't get into to those farting contests, but I know a good quarterback when I see one.

Some people use NFL QB rankings, and some people measure it by the number of Championship titles, and some people measure it by Superbowl Rings!

It's awfully hard to compete in the NFL today without having a QB capable of running. So QB size is an attribute that is more popular today. Even Height is a key attribute, as a QB has to see over his and their linemen who average 6'2" throughout the league. Having Speed is essential, so they better be fast when they are running for their lives to reach that 1st down marker on the sidelines.

Since Mahomes has come onto the scene, I've noticed that QB's are following his lead, and developing side-arm throws to connect on those little quick & outs and slants etc.
    So QB's today have to use a little finesse in their game to be able to compete.

And one very handy attribute they should all possess, is having the capability to throw the ball downfield accurately on long & outs and fades, corner routes etc.

The NFL today, has one of these type QB's, on just about every team in the league, that have most, if not all, of these attributes.

Trying to decide which one of them is the best, is like trying to determine who the prettiest girl in the world is, or who the best guitarist in the world is.

Some may have more NFL experience, or even more NFL playoff experience specifically, and some may be more injury prone, and some may even have better vision than others, some are better at using the clock, and all these things factor in, but for me, IT IS JUST DAMN DIFFICULT TO SAY WHO THE BEST IS, OR EVEN WHO THE GOAT IS TODAY!

But, l will say this, this new style of QB that is playing today, has improved the game and made it a more enjoyable experience to just watch!

And watching two of today's very best QB's competing in this years Superbowl is going to be really fun, and I'm looking forward to watching it.
    Only one problem with it. The NFL has kept on changing the rules so much to benefit the offense over the last 20 years or so that the whole thing just kind of has a fake feel to it now. In todays NFL offensive lineman are basically allowed to hold on every play while defensive backs cant give a W.R a dirty look without getting flagged. The very best QB's in the NFL in the mid seventies only completed 56 maybe 57 AT MOST percent of their passes before all these rule changes. Now they are completing at 68 % with some pushing low seventies. Its fake bullshit and I hate it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (02-01-2023)

7. #290 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

8. #291 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,168 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Only one problem with it. The NFL has kept on changing the rules so much to benefit the offense over the last 20 years or so that the whole thing just kind of has a fake feel to it now. In todays NFL offensive lineman are basically allowed to hold on every play while defensive backs cant give a W.R a dirty look without getting flagged. The very best QB's in the NFL in the mid seventies only completed 56 maybe 57 AT MOST percent of their passes before all these rule changes. Now they are completing at 68 % with some pushing low seventies. Its fake bullshit and I hate it.
    Yes, too many flags. And not enough of flags. to make it fair. They don't seem to even out anymore.

I believe the NFL Administrators are going to have a huge pow wow this off season, and iron some of the conflicts out.

They need to have a rule that pass defenders and receivers are not allowed to touch each other AT ALL, until the ball has touched one of their hands first. Both players need to be playing the ball, not the man, until one of them touches the ball first and then it's free game. That means that offensive players can't cause collisions with defenders either.
    And when there is a foul, it is a 10 yard penalty, and no more of this spot of the foul bullshit. No more of these 60 yard penalties. There should be no penalties in the NFL over 15 Yards.

That is only one of my frustrations with current rules.

As for holding calls, they need a better explanation of holding, and even more officials, if they need them, to be able to see all the contact, and be able to call every hold encountered on every play. Because, I see holding on every play like you do, and all too often, the coach that complains to the official the most about this, usually gets the advantage in the upcoming holding calls.

And most procedure calls, and linemen too far down the field calls, and two receivers in motion at the same time calls, just need to go and be removed off the rule books.

And no more automatic first downs, or loss of down penalties, as every penalty should just constitute the replaying of the down, after walking off the yardage and moving of the line of scrimmage.

Never should a team be gifted a first down, when a defender jumps offline. A loss of 5 yards yes, and replay the down, but NO MORE FREE FIRST DOWNS FOR ANY OFFENSE.

With the set of rules the NFL has now, has made the game harder to officiate, than it is for the teams to even get a fair shake!

I'm not on the officials case for this, I blame the rules!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 02-01-2023 at 11:44 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-04-2023), Stone (02-01-2023)

10. #292 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Brady retired
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

11. #293 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That’s why I feel that Ken Anderson is a very under valued QB. He should be in the HoF. He played the Majority of his Career in the NFL dead ball era and had a career completion percentage over 60% and was the first QB to have a completion % over 70% in a season. Not to mention he was truly the very first West Coast QB. He was also the best running QB of his era gaining more yards on the ground than legendary scramblers of his era Roger Staubach and Fran Tarkenton. Though Anderson was not really a scrambler as most of his runs were designed plays. Had the Bengals franchise not collapsed after Paul Brown’s retirement or Had he won his only Superbowl Appearance he certainly would be in the HoF.

However I think Anderson’s unique contributions to the game, his unique machine like precision, accuracy and technique, set the standard for modern NFL QB’s not to mention that he’s the only NFL QB of his era to compile the stats Anderson accomplished that is not in the HoF. Had Anderson accomplished what he did in a major media market like NY, Chicago or LA he would certainly be in the HoF.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. #294 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He was a great QB,......watched him many times and remember him well. He could really cut a defense to pieces. He absolutely should be in the HOF IMO...

13. #295 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,092 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Texted with my buddy today who pitched for years in the Majors (and is an Eagles fan). He tore his UCL during his playing days (same injury Purdy has) and had to have Tommy John surgery. He said he knew Purdy did same thing the minute he saw the replay. What a bummer.
    Does he play for any other team now?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

14. #296 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Does he play for any other team now?
    He’s been retired for probably six years now. However, since I believe you may be a Pirates fan, he pitched for them in the early/mid aughts (although didn’t have a lot of success), ultimately ended up on the Giants where he won two World Series, then pitched his final season with the Pirates in the mid 2010s. I’m not going to say his name but with that info shouldn’t be hard to figure out.

15. #297 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Stone (02-14-2023)

17. #298 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Minister of Truth View Post
    People are still bitching about the holding call on my fan forum (and Twitter, etc). Otherwise, I'm glad the Chefs won over the Iggles.
    the only issue with that holding call is the Eagles were being allowed to do it earlier in the game. In the first half a much worse one was ignored forcing a punt.

I call it karma for Eagles fans showing their true colors booing the Walter Payton Man of the Year.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Minister of Truth (02-13-2023), Stone (02-14-2023)

19. #299 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    the only issue with that holding call is the Eagles were being allowed to do it earlier in the game. In the first half a much worse one was ignored forcing a punt.

I call it karma for Eagles fans showing their true colors booing the Walter Payton Man of the Year.
    They weren't booing because of the Walter Payton award,they were booing because he's the Dallas Cowboy QB!
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I