2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Cypress is an expert on everything.
    It might sound like that only to you because I generally
    only write about what I know or are informed about, and keep my mouth shut about everything else. I don't know jack shit about the stock market, the NFL, Fed policy, criminal law, macroeconomics.
    Last edited by Cypress; 01-22-2023 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Rune (01-29-2023)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Why You are tea View Post
    Sounds condescending
    Nope, just stating basic simple facts is not remotely condescending.

Other than evolution, big bang, or climate science (which have morphed into quasi-political partisan topics) any science thread on here usually gets only a handful of responses, and usually from the same suspects.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,327 Times in 52,381 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Why You are tea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Genuine interest in science and the maths is limited to about six people here, unless there is a partisan political angle to be exploited, aka evolution and climate science.

On a tangent, I got the impression William Jefferson Clinton and Jimmy Carter were our most scientifically literate presidents.
    Sounds condescending
    Cypress is correct. Only about a handful of people show interest in science matters, space exploration, etc. The only interest others take is to politicize or derail it...if they show up at all.

You're one of the derailers, Mason.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-29-2023), Rune (01-29-2023)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Cypress is an expert on everything.
    Wrong again, Ms. BP, but he's certainly very knowledgeable in certain areas such as science. Why aren't you interested in science, dear?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-29-2023)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 146 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    Cypress really makes me laugh, he's changed his tune totally. He always used to insist that you had to be a climate scientist to pontificate about AGW, now he's maintaining that Al Gore was some kind of climate autodidact.
    His silence is truly telling.

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Carter was DEFINITELY among the top. He was a trained nuclear operator as I understood it.

Herbert Hoover was no slouch either. He was a mining geologist and he and his wife were the first people to translate De Re Metallica (a famous geology text from Agricola) from Latin into English.
    LOL, it wasn't a geology text book.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    More bullshit from the usual suspects, truly fucking laughable.

Jimmy Carter never served on a nuclear submarine nor was he a nuclear engineer

January 13, 2017 By Rod Adams

Initial version posted Jan 27, 2006

A recent conversation about the dangers of false claims of expertise stimulated me to revise and republish a nearly 11 year-old post.

It provides documented proof that Jimmy Carter was not a “nuclear engineer” and never served on a nuclear submarine. He left the Navy in October 1953, about 15 months before Jan 17, 1955, the day the the world’s first nuclear submarine went to sea.

The below is a letter to a Wall Street Journal writer in response to an article about used nuclear fuel recycling.

Dear Mr. Fialka (Wall Street Journal):

I enjoyed your story about new efforts to recycle nuclear fuel. It is definitely the right thing to do; our current once-through cycle only extracts about 3-5% of the potential energy of the initial fuel loads.

One myth correction, however. President Carter was a submarine officer, but he was not a nuclear engineer.

He graduated from the US Naval Academy in June 1946 (he entered in 1943 with the class of 1947, but his class was in a war-driven accelerated 3 year program) with an undesignated bachelor of science degree. Even if the Naval Academy had offered a majors program for his class, it is unlikely that it would have included Nuclear Engineering as a option – after all, the Manhattan Project was a dark secret for most of his time at Annapolis.

After graduation, Jimmy Carter served as a surface warfare officer for two years and then volunteered for the submarine force. He served in a variety of billets, including engineer officer of diesel submarines and qualified to command submarines.

In November 1952, he began a three month temporary duty assignment at the Naval Reactor branch. He started nuclear power school (a six month course of study that leads to operator training) in March, 1953. In July 1953, his father passed away and he resigned his commission to run the family peanut farm. He was discharged from active duty on 9 October, 1953. According to an old friend of mine who served as Rickover’s personnel officer at Naval Reactors, LT Carter did not complete nuclear power school because of the need to take care of business at home.

The prototype for the USS Nautilus was completed in Idaho in May 1953, so LT Carter might have had some opportunity to see it in action before leaving the Navy. However, the USS Nautilus did not go to sea until January 17, 1955, so there is no possibility that he ever qualified to stand watch on a nuclear powered submarine.

He never experienced the incredible gift of being able to operate a power plant that was so clean that it could run inside a sealed submarine, so reliable that it could power that submarine even deep under the Arctic ice, and so energy dense that the submarine could operate for years without new fuel.

When I think about the 1976 campaign and the importance of the energy issue at that time, I cannot help but wonder why Jimmy Carter’s promoters made such a big deal about his nuclear expertise. My wonder turns to cynicism when I think about the policies that his administration imposed and the damage that they did to the growth of the industry just at a time when we most needed a vibrant new energy industry player.

https://atomicinsights.com/jimmy-car...ear-submarine/
    No one in this thread claimed he was Tom.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 146 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    No one in this thread claimed he was Tom.
    This is what Perry Thrombosis had to say!

Carter was DEFINITELY among the top. He was a trained nuclear operator as I understood it.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 9,824 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Genuine interest in science and the maths is limited to about six people here, unless there is a partisan political angle to be exploited, aka evolution and climate science.

On a tangent, I got the impression William Jefferson Clinton and Jimmy Carter were our most scientifically literate presidents.
    Correct. Most of those that are not particularly "controversial" (ie largely misunderstood by the scientific illiterates on the board) it won't get much traction, though.

I like to see the depth of scientific ignorance of many of our posters here on JPP. It is an inspiration to push for actual scientific education improvement in the US.
    what do scientists say is the human carrying capacity of the planet?

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Correct. Most of those that are not particularly "controversial" (ie largely misunderstood by the scientific illiterates on the board) it won't get much traction, though.

I like to see the depth of scientific ignorance of many of our posters here on JPP. It is an inspiration to push for actual scientific education improvement in the US.
    You can search until the cows come home, but you would be hard pressed to find MAGAs starting threads about astronomy, biochemistry, physics, genetics.

When one's mind is consumed with toxic grievances about all the blacks, Jews, and feminazis who supposedly screwed your life over, there is not much mental energy or motivation left for physics, maths, and chemistry.

That's why the U.S. scientific community is increasingly going to be stocked and replenished by liberals, Jews, and immigrants. I would be very surprised if more than a small minority of CERN or LLNL researchers are MAGAs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-30-2023)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    what do scientists say is the human carrying capacity of the planet?
    It depends upon energy and food/water supplies.

Theoretically, the population density of cities can be spread out across the planet, including underground and under the sea.

Using a moderate 20,000 people per KM X Earth's 510M sq KM surface area = 10,200,000,000,000 people. The problem isn't making people but how to feed them. Notice that when Bush signed the biofuel legislation and the US began burning its corn for fuel, people in other nations began starving more than before. Currently, the human population is limited by resources.

https://www.universetoday.com/25756/...-of-the-earth/
    And in the era of modern astronomy, improvements in instrumentation, methodology, and the ability to see Earth from space have certainly helped. According to modern estimates, the surface area of the Earth is approximately 510 million square km (5.1 x 108 km2) or 196,900,000 square miles. Determining this was not only a matter of ascertaining Earth’s dimensions, but also its proper shape.

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 9,824 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It depends upon energy and food/water supplies.

Theoretically, the population density of cities can be spread out across the planet, including underground and under the sea.

Using a moderate 20,000 people per KM X Earth's 510M sq KM surface area = 10,200,000,000,000 people. The problem isn't making people but how to feed them. Notice that when Bush signed the biofuel legislation and the US began burning its corn for fuel, people in other nations began starving more than before. Currently, the human population is limited by resources.

https://www.universetoday.com/25756/...-of-the-earth/

food is a renewable resource.

the only real problem is murderous psychotics feeling entitle to kill everybody.

THE WORLD ECONOIC FORUM, the military industrial complex and big pharma.

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    LOL, it wasn't a geology text book.
    What do you mean?

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    the only real problem is murderous psychotics feeling entitle to kill everybody.
    Like the WSEs attacking the Capitol? I agree.

Better mental healthcare would be necessary. Including screening fetuses for genetic diseases, both physical and mental, and correcting the problem or terminating the fetus.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-30-2023)