Thread: The Suck Zone - Need a science forum

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,570 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Genuine interest in science and the maths is limited to about six people here, unless there is a partisan political angle to be exploited, aka evolution and climate science.

On a tangent, I got the impression William Jefferson Clinton and Jimmy Carter were our most scientifically literate presidents.
    Agreed on all except Slick Willie. He had some good advisors, but he never struck me as very scientifically minded. Carter for sure since he was a Naval Academy graduate and nuclear power officer.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-17-2023), Cypress (01-17-2023)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Why don't you start an all things science thread?
    Hmm good idea.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

signalmankenneth (01-17-2023)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 9,081 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Hmm good idea.

I'll support it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-17-2023)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 133 Times in 128 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    TA either IS an asshole...or plays an asshole on the Internet. Gore was FAR from an idiot.

Washington also was a trained surveyor.

And Trump. He did read...

He gave it rave reviews.
    The political champion of the natural world received a sophomore D in Natural Sciences 6 (Man's Place in Nature) and then got a C-plus in Natural Sciences 118 his senior year. The self-proclaimed inventor of the Internet avoided all courses in mathematics and logic throughout college, despite his outstanding score on the math portion of the SAT. As was the case with many of his classmates, his high school math grades had dropped from A's to C's as he advanced from trigonometry to calculus in his senior year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-bfc68f0b4eb5/

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are a random anonymous guy on the internet who wasn't involved in the invention of the internet.

The two guys who are considered the fathers of the Internet wrote an article praising Gore as the most important politician of the late 20th century to grasp the importance of the internet, promote it, support it.

If gore was simply cluelessly signing off on checks, I don't think Kahn and Cerf would have written that accolade of Gore and the internet

Gore was self educated on climate science, and has a very good layperson's grasp of it.
    An Inconvenient Truth is riddled with errors, untruths and just downright lies. Just take for example his bullshit that sea levels could rise up to 20 feet in the near future due to the melting of ice in both Greenland and the Arctic. Another lie is that the Arctic would be ice free in the Summer by 2013. Yet another is Gore's assertion that the disappearance of snow on Mount Kilimanjaro in East Africa was expressly attributable to global warming. I could go on but those ought to be enough to discredit the fat bastard permanently .
    Last edited by serendipity; 01-22-2023 at 12:08 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to serendipity For This Post:

anonymoose (01-21-2023)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Al Gore is an idiot. I read his book. He knows only what the radical environmental Left says about climate. His movie is rubbish, and his ideas on climate are bullshit. The others I can agree on.
    Cypress really makes me laugh, he's changed his tune totally. He always used to insist that you had to be a climate scientist to pontificate about AGW, now he's maintaining that Al Gore was some kind of climate autodidact.

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,184 Times in 7,628 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    The political champion of the natural world received a sophomore D in Natural Sciences 6 (Man's Place in Nature) and then got a C-plus in Natural Sciences 118 his senior year. The self-proclaimed inventor of the Internet avoided all courses in mathematics and logic throughout college, despite his outstanding score on the math portion of the SAT. As was the case with many of his classmates, his high school math grades had dropped from A's to C's as he advanced from trigonometry to calculus in his senior year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-bfc68f0b4eb5/
    We know his grades because he allowed the schools he attended to release his grades.

Trump has threatened to sue any of the schools he attended if they release his grades.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

12. The Following User Groans At Frank Apisa For This Awful Post:

serendipity (01-22-2023)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    We know his grades because he allowed the schools he attended to release his grades.

Trump has threatened to sue any of the schools he attended if they release his grades.
    You're so predictable Franky!!

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,184 Times in 7,628 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    You're so predictable Franky!!
    So are you, Serendipity.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

That's right, I forgot that Hoover had such a keen mind.

Clinton was just one of those whose mind was endlessly curious and able to retain encyclopedic information. He was only a lawyer by training, but he seemed genuinely capable of talking about the human genome and genetics, because the topic interested him
    Here is Bill Clinton babbling competently without notes or teleprompter about the humane genome.

You would never catch an unscripted Trump, Sarah Palin, George Dumbya, Dan Quayle, or Ronnie Reagan riffing off the cuff about science like this.

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Genuine interest in science and the maths is limited to about six people here, unless there is a partisan political angle to be exploited, aka evolution and climate science.

On a tangent, I got the impression William Jefferson Clinton and Jimmy Carter were our most scientifically literate presidents.
    Sounds condescending
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

serendipity (01-22-2023)

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Why You are tea View Post
    Sounds condescending
    Cypress is an expert on everything.

19. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You don't have to have a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a masters in geology to have a layperson's literacy in science.

James Garfield invented a proof for the Pythagorean theorem. Thomas Jefferson was famously interested in natural history and applied sciences. Clinton was keenly interested and informed about the human genome project. Al Gore taught himself about climate science, and no politician knew more about the internet in the late 80s and 90s than Gore.

On the other hand, politicians like bleach man Trump and Sarah Palin never showed the slightest genuine interest in scientific knowledge.
    Sarah Palin couldn't name a newspaper
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Cypress is an expert on everything.
    I stand corrected! I guess I have egg on my face.
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

More bullshit from the usual suspects, truly fucking laughable.

Jimmy Carter never served on a nuclear submarine nor was he a nuclear engineer

January 13, 2017 By Rod Adams

Initial version posted Jan 27, 2006

A recent conversation about the dangers of false claims of expertise stimulated me to revise and republish a nearly 11 year-old post.

It provides documented proof that Jimmy Carter was not a “nuclear engineer” and never served on a nuclear submarine. He left the Navy in October 1953, about 15 months before Jan 17, 1955, the day the the world’s first nuclear submarine went to sea.

The below is a letter to a Wall Street Journal writer in response to an article about used nuclear fuel recycling.

Dear Mr. Fialka (Wall Street Journal):

I enjoyed your story about new efforts to recycle nuclear fuel. It is definitely the right thing to do; our current once-through cycle only extracts about 3-5% of the potential energy of the initial fuel loads.

One myth correction, however. President Carter was a submarine officer, but he was not a nuclear engineer.

He graduated from the US Naval Academy in June 1946 (he entered in 1943 with the class of 1947, but his class was in a war-driven accelerated 3 year program) with an undesignated bachelor of science degree. Even if the Naval Academy had offered a majors program for his class, it is unlikely that it would have included Nuclear Engineering as a option – after all, the Manhattan Project was a dark secret for most of his time at Annapolis.

After graduation, Jimmy Carter served as a surface warfare officer for two years and then volunteered for the submarine force. He served in a variety of billets, including engineer officer of diesel submarines and qualified to command submarines.

In November 1952, he began a three month temporary duty assignment at the Naval Reactor branch. He started nuclear power school (a six month course of study that leads to operator training) in March, 1953. In July 1953, his father passed away and he resigned his commission to run the family peanut farm. He was discharged from active duty on 9 October, 1953. According to an old friend of mine who served as Rickover’s personnel officer at Naval Reactors, LT Carter did not complete nuclear power school because of the need to take care of business at home.

The prototype for the USS Nautilus was completed in Idaho in May 1953, so LT Carter might have had some opportunity to see it in action before leaving the Navy. However, the USS Nautilus did not go to sea until January 17, 1955, so there is no possibility that he ever qualified to stand watch on a nuclear powered submarine.

He never experienced the incredible gift of being able to operate a power plant that was so clean that it could run inside a sealed submarine, so reliable that it could power that submarine even deep under the Arctic ice, and so energy dense that the submarine could operate for years without new fuel.

When I think about the 1976 campaign and the importance of the energy issue at that time, I cannot help but wonder why Jimmy Carter’s promoters made such a big deal about his nuclear expertise. My wonder turns to cynicism when I think about the policies that his administration imposed and the damage that they did to the growth of the industry just at a time when we most needed a vibrant new energy industry player.

https://atomicinsights.com/jimmy-car...ear-submarine/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to serendipity For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (01-30-2023)